Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharlened

Favorite on-line source for hostas?

13 years ago

Hi. I am fairly new to the site. I have been addicted to hostas for the past few years, with my collection (and addiction!) growing to over 425+. I just can't seem to get enough! I was wondering what your favorite on-line sources for hostas are? Any that I should stay away from? Thanks!!

Comments (21)

• 13 years ago

I like to get larger 2-eye plants and liked what I got from Hallsons. Land of the Giant Hosta farm sent me large plants and I liked that, growing great. Though I bought most of my Hostas locally, also at Hosta Society sales.
    Bernd

• 13 years ago

I've gotten big, healthy plants from Avalon Acres (aahostas.com), Northern Grown Perennials, and Hallson's.
    I highly recommend all three.

Wendy

• 13 years ago

I was really happy with what I received from Naylor Creek!

• 13 years ago

I recommend Hallson's Gardens and Naylor Creek Nursery... both sent me 2+ large eye divisions of every hosta I ordered this year.. many with several dormant eyes...and all having most excellent clean root mass as well... Plus both places sent me bonus hostas as well with each order.. Hallson's sent me a four eye division of Lakeside Cha Cha free one time, its a beaut.. I ordered a Halcyon from Naylor's and they sent me two! Both places only ship early in the week, 1st class USPS Priority so that your hostas arrive before or on Friday..so they don't have a layover on a weekend... no plants have shown any signs of HVX.... but a few had nem damage this fall... but its my first year as a hosta fanatic.. and previously I had be ignorant of their presence.... so it may just be my soil...I'm treating for them this year and I think its helping... we'll treat again next year and see about that... Hallson's also has a hosta forum as active as this one! I made purchases this year from those two, plus Hostasdirect.com, a couple sellers on amazon, a couple on ebay, and K Van Bourgondien and Sons. None compared to Hallson's or Naylor's!
    Next season all my online purchases will be from those two... unless there is something I really want and have to go elsewhere... then I might check out some of the other recommended places... I also would like to take the time to go to our only Hosta Farm here in Kentucky.. The Bluegrass Hosta Farm near Lexington... I didn't take the time this year... 2.5 hour drive and we didn't exactly have much spare time this year...
    Thanks
    John

• 13 years ago

Since it's just a few miles up the road, I bought from Hostas Direct 3ý years ago. The only purchases I'd make from HD at the point would be the field grown divisions. And even then, they only usually will give you single-eyes. Not worth it when you can get nice plants from Hallson's or Naylor Creeek.

The TC's from Hostas Direct are too small, take too long to grow and are too susceptible to dying off in their first winter. Don't let the cheap prices fool you.

• 13 years ago

I thought we weren't supposed to do any bashing on here lol... or I would have bashed them a bit! Hostadirect hostas suck lol... but they have a nice database lol
    John

• 13 years ago

I recently had Kelley & Kelley in Long Lake MN send me 8 hostas. They cut the leaves off (which is common) but I couldn't get over the number of eyes/leaves per plant. One was Spilt Milk which had about 7 nice sized eyes for $20 (I think- don't have my invoice here) I plan on checking them out personally next spring when I go to Mpls. to visit daughter/son-in-law.
    Also, Hallson's gets my vote, too.
    Peggy

• 13 years ago

My experience is limited. I've bought from Avalon Acres (aahostas.com), the plants were nice size and I was happy with the quality and service. I bought some from Gilbert Wild and Sons and was very happy with some of them. Wild also does some really good sales if you don't care what variety you get. If it says that the stock is "potted", buy somewhere else. If it's a common variety, the size is good and they appear healthy. I would buy again from either of them, but would also use Hallson's because of the recommendations on the list and from Plants delights nursery, as he was recommended by the Texas A&M extention service.

bkay

• 13 years ago

I prefer to buy my hostas in person, when possible. But I have ordered from White Oak Nursery before and received adequate plants. Bridgewood Gardens is by far my favorite though. As mentioned in another thread, their "Ugly Plant" sale is going on right now. I just added 20 fine new hostas to my collection a few weeks ago from them.

• 13 years ago

I have ordered from Naylor Creek, Jim's Hostas, In The Country Gardens and gifts (Josh Spece), and Casita Azul (ilovehostas.net), this last year, and been highly satisfied with all of them. All of the plants were nice size, well rooted, and packed well for shipping.

It wasn't their fault the deer ate some of them but I think they will come back ok anyway. The stems look green and healthy, anyway.

I also got some bare root from my local nursery, first thing this spring, but I think the ones I ordered on line are actually better plants.

• 13 years ago

Hallson's has the best of any nursery I've dealt with. They are fantastic quality and great to deal with also. I've ordered online quite a bit over the last few years, many different types of plants & shrubs and although I am satisfied with most, they really don't compare to what you get from Hallson's.
    Cher

• 13 years ago

I highly recommend Sebright Gardens in Brooks, OR. Fortunately, I am close enough to drive down once or twice a year to purchase. However, I have ordered specific plants to email as gifts to friends and was delighted to learn that they shipped big, healthy plants. Check out their catalog for some 'hard to find' varieties. If you get to the Northwest, walk down their hoop house to see 500+ varieties arranged in alphabetical order and then wander through their spectacular display gardens.It is a wonderful place to see full size varieties of hostas amid other shade loving plants and big trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sebright Gardens

• 13 years ago

When I mentioned Hallson's and nematodes in the same posting... Chris of Hallson's immediately sent me and email concerned about any nematode damage from hostas I purchased from them. Through his expertise, he was able to help me understand that I didn't have nematodes at all! Thank goodness! I was assuming that any eating of the tissue between the veins was nematodes, come to find out, its just at the cellular level, causing brown streaks between the veins. My damage must be some type of cutworm or caterpillar, so we'll have to direct our efforts in that direction...
    Once again Hallson's is awesome, thats what you call service!
    John

• 13 years ago

hi john

can you post a pic of the hosta you "thought" had nems,,,but didn't??

that might be helpful to the rest of us..

thanks,,jill

• 13 years ago

I think I still have a OBL... with one leaf left with this type of damage... was a division this year so it only ever had two.... one had browned up real good already so I removed it and I left the remaining leaf, just so it would atleast have one leaf... I don't have a picture taken currently... but I'll go out and take one here later and upload and post it... its dark here so it will be with flash at night... but it will give you an idea of caterpillar cutworm damage...
    John
    Atleast in my wrong, I can still be informative

• 13 years ago

Hey Jill! Sorry it took a few days... Chris hasn't seen this picture.. so there may be some confusion, so take it for what it is... this is the damage I described to him... I've also included a pic of why its taken a few days to get back with you..
    John

• 13 years ago

I am just getting into hostas but am very happy with Daylilies by the Pond hostas --- and yes! her daylilies are great too - - - also reasonably priced! I plan on ordering more from her next year.

aunt lou

• 13 years ago

thanks john

and what a cutie

never apoligize when life gets in the way of this forum

enjoy it

jill

• 13 years ago

John(i-like-to-grow)- That adorable little bug doesn't look old enough to have teeth to be causing hosta damage. ;-)

Sharlened- For anyone who would like to see nematode damage on hostas, just do a google search. The Hosta Library as well as the American Hosta Society websites have all sorts of photos of all kids of hosta damage to help you figure out who the guilty party is.

-Babka

• 13 years ago

Oops. Sharlened, you only wondered about ordering on-line, not neems. My favorites are Hallson Gardens and Naylor Creek. You always get excellent, healthy plants.

Newhostaaddict, those website suggestions were for you, not Sharlened.

I hate it when I hit the submit button w/o checking first. Sorry. We've just returned from a couple weeks in Turkey and my head isn't on straight yet.

-Babka

• 13 years ago

Babka,
    You were in Turkey. So I remember the 3 very nice and educational months I spent there in 1962 as a 22 year old in vacation from college. That was my first experience in a foreign country, what a difference! Your head is not on straight yet? That will go away. I had it worse then.
    Bernd