Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittsgrams

What is this hosta looking plant

brittsgrams
10 years ago

It is taking over and I don't like it whatever it is. It has blue berries on it if that helps. Any information greatly appreciated on what it is and how to get rid of it. Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

try the name that plant forum.. if we fail here ...

if you think that looks like a hosta.. you need to stick around her.. so we can enable you ... lol ..

BTW .. if its taking over.. what difference does the name make... thin it out.. and/or.. get rid of it ...

peeps are going to ask if it flowers .. any recollection????

ken

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Hmmm...looks like a Schefflera to me which is in the Araliaceae family. You can Google it to find pics.

Schefflera on Wikipedia

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Isn't Schefflera an indoor plant? That looks like it's growing outdoors.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

If you plant a couple of hundred hosta, it should crowd these plants out pretty effectively.

Don B.

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

It's not a schefflera, trust me. Wrong leaf shape and wrong leaf count and structure for it. Plus scheffleras do not produce flowers or "berries."

It kind of looks like some things I get every year. I don't know where they come from? For the longest time, I thought they came from the oak tree right by me? Perhaps it's oak seedlings? I don't know. But it is not a schefflera.

• egflynn
    10 years ago

Looks like Clintonia borealis . . .

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yep, I'd try the name that plant forum.

bk

• jel48
    10 years ago

I don't know what it is.. but it's definitely not an oak seedling!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

It's not a Sheffelera,but I do beg to differ with Brandy,about Sheffeleras not having flowers. In Florida,they grow to huge trees with large clumps of flowers. They are also known as Queens Umbrellas. Most of them don't get that big,but,given the right conditions and shelter get really big,and they do grow outdoors in sub-tropical climates. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Scheffelera are also scale magnets, so I got rid of mine. I could NOT keep the scale off of it, and they spread to my staghorn fern. But yes, mine got 6 feet tall indoors, put it outdoors for all but the dead of winter. I swore never to get another one, although I find them to be very beautiful.

Very strange growth of leaves on that plant in the picture. It must not be tropical or it would not be growing so rampantly up in NC. Sure looks happy with its environment though.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Might be blue bead lily, or clintonia borealis. Only thing I can think of that has blue berries like that and they do make huge colonies.

Sandy

Edit: Nah. Wrong leaf shape and not enough berries on the stalk. Something else.....seems like I've seen this before somewhere but can't find it.

This post was edited by mosswitch on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:21

• donrawson
    10 years ago

I'm not that familiar with Scheffleras...I just threw that out there as a wild guess...and your plant may not be a Schefflera. However, I know there are several different varieties of Scheffleras and a few are hardy in our Zone 5. There is one growing in a garden by me.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

I sent the pic to Tony Avent at Plant Delights. He says he's sure it is Pollia japonica....and that it spreads like crazy, but it's easy to pull up.

Pollia japonica on Wikipedia