Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Groow Back From Root Remains

In spring I transplanted a Halcyon from the spot pictured below. Can it be that these tiny plants are Halcyon plants which have grown from remaining roots?

Comments (7)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

It's quite possible. I had little hostas grow up from 2 different areas that I moved hostas from. I thought I got all of the crown, but apparently I didn't. I dug up the little ones and planted them next to my bigger ones. I suppose I could've composted them, but I hate to waste hostas-no matter how tiny!

Another reason planted the little ones right next to the big ones is to see if they're actually the same plant or not. I guess it's possible that they might be seedlings instead. Only time will tell.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 20:00

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Don't quote me, but I am 90% sure a hosta cannot put on new growth without some piece of the original crown still intact. Thus the reason why you canâÂÂt force roots on scapes.

Maybe you had more than just pieces of root lying in the soil dormant ? More likely though is that you have some seeds that germinated, but the library does not say if Halcyon is fertile or not.

Just a thought. IâÂÂm sure others will chime in to correct or confirm. :)

Ludi

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

when you excavate.. you might find the rotted remnants of the prior plant.. if so.. you can tell ...

if seed falls.. it usually falls to the edge of the canopy ... so seedlings are usually a bit of way.. away from the old plant ...

as noted.. it grew back from crown material.. attached to a root.. bad word selection on your part ...

wait a minute.. planted this spring. if it had seed.. it didnt ripen yet.. and i dont see a stalk.. so yes.. its the same plant.. unless some other seed was mysteriously strewn around your yard.. beside the fact that rogue seed doesnt usually germinate until spring soil temps start to rise ... ... its just too cold this time of year for such ...

my odds are on.. true to name ...
    ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I removed large healthy plants by first dividing the crown for easier work. Some crown pieces were left in the ground and I had little plants come up. I just removed a diseased plant in one piece, and afterwards a little yellow one came out of space between bricks. That probably is a seedling. Bernd

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

My guess is it's pieces from the same plant. I once moved my Elisabeth hosta from one place to another,and the next year,I found some of Elisabeth still growing in the old location,so I apparently didn't get all of the crown,and roots,so now I have Elisabeth in two locations! Don't give up on those small plants,though. I moved my Mama Mia hosta to another location two years ago,and it came back up in the new location,as a very tiny plant. This year,it came back up as an almost back to normal size plant. Phil

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I've had hostas "reappear". Three years ago I sprayed an HVX PUD with weed killer, waited until the plant was crispy, removed the remains, and put a paver over it. Last year a PUD appeared about 12 inches away. This year, PUDs are coming out from under the paver. And I got a hosta at the local swap with bits of root mixed in it. Five of them grew into what looks like Platinum Tiara.

Enjoy your free plants!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After further examination, there are 17 little plants growing in a circle around the transplant site. I took a large root ball when I transplanted and it looks like these babies grew in a ring, just beyond the shovel line.

OK. They don't grow from roots but from remaining crown.

I guess this is only fitting since my original Halcyon was obliterated by a back hoe. Later I discovered five plants growing in a dirt pile. Included was the mother of these 17.

Should I just leave them in place for the winter? They are located on north side of house where soil will freeze.

Should they be thinned?

Mom:

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm