Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Lunch At Giverny

User
9 years ago

Well, let me start at where this idea began. I was thinking about my hosta garden. Garden of The White Dove.....what else could it be?

And I ran across mention in Architectural Digest about sketches of clothing worn by Audrey Hepburn back when she played Holly GoLightly in the Truman Capote story BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.,,,,but, the link would not open in AD online, so I googled Giverny book Hepburn. Because I got mixed up, Givenchy and Giverny, you know how it is being a gardener....sounds good to me. Only the article title is LUNCH AT GIVERNY.

And that is when I saw the PBS series she did--Gardens of The World--and I remembered watching some of them. That is not the point of this story though.

Audrey Hepburn did that whole series and Giverny was one of the gardens. Wonderful! Claude Monet's garden there has many times been inspirational, and I'd like to revisit that TV series.

But that is still not the point of the story.....which is....

This blogger went into a thrift store (why do some people get all the luck, and all the fun of finding such things)....
and found a DIORAMA of the garden at Giverny according to the program done by Hepburn. Perfect match.

I looked at that diorama as pictured in the link I'm going to give you. It was a three dimensional drawing come to life. What a great idea.....

And this is when I realized I want to create a DIORAMA, model it using my garden photos, and bring it to life as a three dimensional ...... game board? doll house? no. I guess MODEL is the correct word.

My very own Diorama of Garden of The White Dove.

Then I can have as many visitors to my Garden as wish to come. Distance no object.

You know, I picture Dougald spending his winter indoors way up there in cold country.....and a similar diorama might be just the ticket. We already know he has a railroad running through his garden. Now a MODEL garden with a MODEL railroad.

Jonny has to include the ravine in his. Ken, oh my, will we get to see that garden? And Don Rawson with lots of curbing on all his beds. We'd get to see McTavish and AlmostHooked top the whole mountain with hosta in BC.

A diorama of every personal garden? It would be 100% better than Google Street View but that would be another idea to explore. I mean, why not have that 3d aspect to gardens and public monuments as well. I get dizzy thinking about it.....oh my, the POSSIBILITIES.

.....and now I must go peacefully to dinner. I'm having a sugar low I think.

What kind of diorama do you envision?

Edited for grammar....sigh.....I feel better now after a good NE baked beans and dogs Saturday night dinner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lunch At Giverny

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 21:39

Comments (4)

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

I grinned reading moc's post. But moc, you have a climate that allows gardening almost year round - the dormancy of hostas is so short you barely have time to enjoy Xmas/New Years let alone build a model of your garden!

It is an interesting thought and not so farfetched. I actually did a rough mockup of my proposed garden way back a dozen years ago - it was not of the quality to dream on as moc has suggested but it certainly clarified ideas. The as constructed version is in line with the mockup though details were refined as I went along.

Doug

User thanked dougald_gw
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aha, Dougald, so my vision of you with the model was not far off the mark. You'd already been there and done that. I am very pleased, because you were the first one I thought about.

And about my winter dormancy, you are correct. It is too brief to accomplish much. Perhaps I might consider instead a "pop-up" book. Which could be a small scale and based on photographs printed 8.5 x 11 inch or 8.5 x 14 inch. Doable I'd say if I take the pictures with that in mind. Instead of trying this for the coming dormant season, when my energies will be devoted to a house remodel, I will save it for the following one, when I'll be ensconced in my Teahouse-as-studio.

• mctavish
    9 years ago

Well that certainly got me thinking. How would someone do that? As our much too long winter stretches out before me I will have to try something like that. I should also say that I have that set of videos on gardens. They were wonderful the last time I looked at them. Of course hostas weren't much a part of anything back then....

User thanked mctavish
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

McTavish, with some of your photos I noticed you eliminated objects surrounding your featured hostas. That would be a great way to isolate a particular hosta or planting from its background before cutting it out. Then, laying it on top of another photo background, along with several other individual cutouts, you'd have a "bed" built up of heavy duty photo papers. They would tend to work standing up when attached across the bottom edge with some sort of "tab".....then lie down when you closed the popup.

Your photos would be beautiful done this way on your annual calender. Just an idea. When you get to June in the year, right in the centerfold would be a great spot for the popup of your garden.

I'd like to see some diorama at the entrance to a large garden, say Bellingrath Gardens here in Mobile, before I tour it. A flat map is okay, but to get the feel for the geography and directions and sunlight, a diorama would keep me oriented.