Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberdim

what do you all do?

amberdim
9 years ago

When winter comes and no hostas are around to talk about...

Comments (36)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Prepare next years list....

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How many pages?

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Huh. Winter? No hosta's? No way.

Going into denial works for me.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Shovel snow.

SCG

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I grow Hosta all winter.

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, that is one great project...

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Seriously, in December I start growing veggies under lights. In Feb/Mar I start sowing my annuals.

SCG

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Well, we have the alphabet thing we do. Then sometimes, we persuade Paul to do a hosta leaf bingo. We discuss the hosta we are going to buy in the spring.

Actually, it's a pretty busy forum.

bk

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I hibernated last winter. Maybe I'll stick around......

DD

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow inoor citrus so winter or not I,m busy...in March I,ll try to get some perennials going indoors. Too bad I dont have any hosta seedlings to take care of. Well, maybe next year...

This post was edited by amberdim on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 20:51

• User
    9 years ago

All the indoor house projects I neglected while spending time in the yard. Our basement needs to be refinished after a flash flood earlier this summer. And I'm going to repaint the kitchen cabinets. And organize organize organize.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I switch to my Postcrossing hobby :)

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Streptocarpus and Begonia plants indoors as well as veggie garden starts and the lists for next springs garden additions, moves and potential removals.

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

Eleven, what is a postcrossing hobby?

Ha,well I keep posting but I also keep reading. And, I make sure my hostas stay COOL ENOUGH for the winter. Ever vigilant is the key word. I also work on the hardscape of the garden then, perhaps build a new garden bench. Bringing in some rocks this winter, if I can haul them home.

Like mentioned before, the Hosta Alphabet takes up a good month of winter. That's when everybody posts pictures of hostas starting with each letter of the alphabet, stuff like that. Great reference for someone who wants to learn what a hosta can look like. Sort of like playing FISH. (or is it GO FISH?)

JOIN US!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Well, stick around and see what happens here. It is slower, but ahem, more deep thinking.... of course.

Actually, the winter peeps are mostly trying to decide what to order. Many mail order places offer earlybird discounts for orders placed in January to be shipped later. The hosta alphabet helps refresh and inspire those "wants".

Otherwise I am gardening all winter long because we don't freeze here. My hosta pots are tucked away where I don't have to look at them but camellias and other plants are blooming from now to March, when the hostas pop up.

-Babka

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Promised the husband when the weather turns I'll finish the projects inside that have been started. Have so many things that need to get done. All easy, just a bit time consuming. Hard to stay inside when it is so beautiful out. With winter comes snowboarding season. First for me in two years, so really looking forward to that. Have to fine tune the want list. Nothing is leaving, but things need shuffling.

Looking forward to seeing the pics from the alphabet posts.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there are a few seed sources ... should you wish to dabble in hosta seed growing ... i am sure a new post will get that answer ...

this is one of the forums.. that barely slows down ... albeit .. as noted.. much deeper thinking ... lol

ken

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Enjoy having time to post instead of just quickly browsing! I bought the Hostapedia and the Field Guide to Hostas this year and am looking forward to having time to read them.

This year, instead of planning new beds, I will remind myself "You already have more than you can take care of."

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I usually go through the pictures I have taken during the season and organize them. I like to plan what I am going to change in my garden for the next year---what I was pleased with and what didn't work . And I like to look over the posts that I have previously clipped. I make time to look at my Hosta Journals and other hosta books . . . and dream about having a fantastic garden with more hostas!

This post was edited by newhostalady on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 19:31

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

I run an alphabet game on a hosta site on Garden Web. It starts the day after Christmas at 4:30am. LOL Paula

First riddle: How many hostas did Mocc buy this year???

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I watch Mr. Rodgers. Hopefully, into February.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Tsuga so will I, but only him. He's been one of my QB picks for three years now. Needs to make up for last year. This is who i'll be watching, hoping they finish the year without embarassment.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Being from Detroit I've learned our team is like hosta Great Expectations, their results rarely meeting expectations. There's always next year!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

(While watching the Patriots) I will update my Excel list and map of my hostas, which will lead to a list of which hostas to look for in 2015. I also will make a list of which chemicals/ fertilizers to have and buy in 2015 from the 2014 list, then will make a list of work to do for 2015 from the 2014 list.
    In September / October I will look for hosta seeds in my own garden and buy later seeds on the internet when they get offered. In the mid of November I will start to plant hosta seeds in trays on a shelf in my basement and thereafter start growing hosta seedlings under light 24 hrs. That will be my living hosta garden until May. There will be careful raising, culling most greenies, looking for really good ones and finally in June/ July having 20 or so interesting ones left.

Yes, you can have hostas all year.
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

sorry, duplicate.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 13:26

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh, I LOVE Mr. Rogers.

Who's that other fellow, TJ??

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That other fellow is from another neighborhood.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I remember that fellow, he went to Cal...Glad to see that whole NFL thing seemed to pan out pretty well for him : )

Don B.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Moccasin, I randomly exchange postcards with people all over the world via the Postcrossing site. My count is up to 119 :)

Bernd, could you post a pic of your seedling light setup? I keep thinking I want to do something in my basement, but I probably need something sturdy to keep out the cats. I would LOVE to make baby hostas during the winter. Do you buy your special seeds from anywhere in particular? (I saw a few suggestions above from someone).

I'm also going to wintersow some native plant seeds in February. I meant to this year, but it never happened.

Here is a link that might be useful: Postcrossing

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Read, write, maybe draw something. Sometimes I actually finish a drawing that I start:

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog that I sometimes update.

• mctavish
    9 years ago

Very nice Karen. Is that pencil or charcoal?

I read a lot, take nature pictures and work with photos. I make albums and calendars. An annual calendar that I print myself is made from pictures of my sister's and my hostas and gardens. I come up with a theme. Last year it was opposites or compliments. One month was black/white. Also, singing/dancing - big/little - hot/cold - eat/drink.....etc. It's fun and I get lost in it.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Eleven, there are pictures of other people's setups in the Hosta Seed Growers Forum.

My setup is part of a wall of shelves in my basement, I usually use 1, sometimes 2 shelves for growing seedlings. But you need at least another for supplies, and a box underneath to contain growing mix, Perlite, etc. These shelves are made out of 2x4s and 3/4 inch plywood. It would be good to screw them together, not nail, so you can take them apart in case you want to change shelf height,
    You would need to start figuring out dimensions, so check into available fluorescent lights. Mine are the old ones of size 50 inch long x 7 1/4 inch wide. I have two side by side hanging from the upper shelf. So your shelf might be 52 inches wide. The upper shelves have a 19 inches vertical opening, should be perhaps 24 to have place for taller seedlings,
    Outside dimensions of seedling trays are 11x21.5 inches. I place a total of four trays side by side and end to end on one shelf, which is enough for me. As they grow and need more space, I cull them and make space, all on the single shelf.

You make this shelf once.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 8:53

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Thanks, McT. I used Staedtler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils for the drawing on Stonehenge paper, which is a nice cotton vellum textured paper. It took me about a week to draw and several hours each day. I drew it a couple of years ago when I wasn't working and had lots of free time to draw and write and read and such. Working now kind of puts the kibosh on my drawing since I like to go hours a day without being disturbed for highly detailed projects such as that ruined Hungarian church. Otherwise, I lose interest before a project is finished.

Karen

• prairie_love
    9 years ago

I take my dog ice fishing.

Or snowboarding

Maybe sledding

But mostly I kick myself for all the garden projects I didn't get done AGAIN, and the fact that I STILL haven't labeled the hosta in a way that will withstand the winter, so come spring I'll be sending photos to this forum again for identification.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

More than anyone... that dog is waiting for springtime.

• User
    9 years ago

Prairie Love, I feel for you, sugar. hehehehe
    But you might be surprised. We're going to have the best set of pictures posted of every imaginable hosta from A to Z and all other which aways. And you will be practicing like ROCKY, so that come spring YOU KNOW EVERY ONE OF YOUR HOSTA BY NAME. Yeah, won't that be FUN?

I put my pictures on automatic slide, even my screensaver is hosta...I try to call out the name before it changes. Good practice. If I keep missing one particular hosta, I go out and find it and give it some TLC so next time I recognize it. After all, I figure I owe it to them. They did not ASK to come to Alabama, but they are making the most of it. :)

love the ice fishing dog, the sledding dog, the slalom watch dog. Cool. Very cool.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner