Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Two out of Four

hostanista
9 years ago

Saw this posting on another gardening site re hostas:

"...Two of my four hostas did not do at all well this year."

(Are you laughing? I'll bet you're laughing. Yeah, you're laughing. C'mon give the poor gal a break, at least she's planting hostas!)

Comments (14)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Laughing,yes. And I bet she has two of each kind of hosta.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

NO hosta is worse then four hosta. Give the lil gal a break.

DD

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Hey, you guys. Be nice. My grandma always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I keep attempting to meet that standard. Sometimes, I fail, but I continue to work on it.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I will say nothing. This little being will speak for me...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Spokesperson

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Thank you Don! Wasn't sure what to expect. Cracked up laughing in my cozy chair to the point of tears and spilt my beer by accident. My husband kept looking at me like I was a nutjob. Of course you can't just watch that one, all the other laughing baby videos are hysterical as well.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

I did laugh - initially at the gardener with 4, and then at myself...the Talking Heads singing in my mind: "And you may ask yourself, well - how did I get here?"

I think that I still only had 4 or fewer until around 2005 and didn't actually start to collect until 2010. Come to think of it , even when I only had 4 I knew their names and they were thoughtfully selected...was a budding collector even back then I guess.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I had a total of one hosta in 2009, so ya gotta start somewhere. There are some peeps here with 1000+ who would laugh at my piddly 172 plants. Of course, four DOES seem like an underwhelming number of hostas to some of us maniacs heh heh heh... ; )

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I dare you to laugh at my forever and ever 37 hosta!!

DD

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Me, tool. I only have about 80.

bk

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

two or two thousand - it is the plant that speaks for itself!

This morning I was looking at my front full sun hosta bed that needs rebuilding again - direct sun breaks down the manure and compost I plant in over a couple of years whereas in the shade it lasts 5-10 years before breaking down.

Was thinking of dividing the Chinese Sunrise border plants in that bed that I love; for Spring show and overall durability. I realized there are 40-50 clumps with 10-20 divisions each!

Who needs that work AGAIN? Oh well, 2 or 2000....

Fall 2014 arrives tomorrow (finally): after the coldest July/Aug on record here in Blacksburg area, we have had 10 days of mid-80's muggy rainy weather . Starting tomorrow, 70's for highs!

Yeah, Hosta dividing and garden work weather without tooo much sweat!

Bruce

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Boy that would be nice. We're still in the upper 90's. I'm starting to yearn for fall.

bk

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Bruce - Blacksburg VA? If so, what are some of the hosta buying spots around there?

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

NONE!

When I moved here in 2002, they told me that hosta are not sold by the nurseries around here (Roanoke and Blacksburg area ) anymore because all they are is deer food, ala hosta buffet.

I understand perfectly, with my yard situation. Six ft fence barely keeps them out.

Just one hour ago while working in the garden chased a large doe ( looked pregnant AGAIN!), her yearling twins and a 3 month old fawn out of my garden.

If you are nearby, you are welcome to stop over here - I am in Christiansburg.

Bruce

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

What a bummer. You live in a beautiful area. We are taking the kids to Smith Mountain in a couple weeks. Outside of Blacksburg is some decent mountain biking trails. One day is planned to take the older girls to ride and thought it would be fun to hosta hunt. Thank you for the invite. If you are ever up this way, Front Royal, more than welcome to stop over as well.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions