Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ponciana Tree - Crown seems to be dieing

Posted by Mred215 Qld (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 20:13

We have a Ponciana tree which over the past few weeks appears to be dieing from the top. Conditions lately have been extremely dry, with cold nights and warm days. The tree is located just East of Brisbane, Australia, to give you an idea of the climate in the area, and it is approximately 8 years old.

The lower branches of the tree still appear to be healthy and the leaves are green.

I have uploaded two images of the tree and the affected branches.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this, or how to fix the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ponciana Tree - Crown seems to be dieing

Second image as mentioned.

o

Do you realize that you posted this to the Hosta forum?

In any case a quick google search shows defoliation is usually done by Pociana caterpillars or Snowbush caterpillars. Check the link below.

Have you watched "The Flame Trees of Thika"?

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida State Horticulture

o

Thanks for the response. I've recreated this post in the trees forum to try and get more accurate help.

Also I'm in Australia and according to the document that you linked the caterpillars in question only occur near the US. Bit far away.

o

I'm not familiar with Australian geography so I don't know where Queensland is exactly, but you may have missed this part.

This caterpillar has been released as a biocontrol agent for management of Jerusalem thorn in northern Australia where the plant has become an invasive weed species.

These caterpillars are essentially cutworms that defoliate trees. It may not be the cause but it's worth checking. A contact insecticide on the tree base or a sticky band will stop them. Good luck.

Steve

o

Well,Poincianas only grow in Florida,and other sub-tropical regions of USA. Key West has some magnificent ones,but this is still the hosta forum. Sorry! Phil

o

Yes its a hosta forum, but how great that someone from Australia stumbled in. Hope you will plant a hosta and come back to tell us about it - I don't think we have any fans from 'down under'.
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here