Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Let's see your darkest green with brightest yellow margin

I would LOVE to know what is your darkest green (but still bright!) hosta with the brightest yellow margin???!!! Some parameters are: The margin needs to stay yellow and the wider margin, the better. Also, needs to not be a small or mini. Looking for at the very least medium, large is better. If you have pics, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Hosta 'Satisfaction' is a great one. The margin looks greenish in the pic, but it's actually yellow.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

It's hard to beat 'Goodness Gracious' for a fat, yellow margin. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent pic right now. Here's a link for the pics at the Hosta Library, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodness Gracious Pictures

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I don't have access to my pictures right now, but here's a link to 'Summer Lovin'. This hosta absolutely glows! Such vibrant contrasting colors, and nice leaf shape and substance. I bought it on a whim, but it is a real standout...one of my favorites!

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Lovin

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my Goodness Gracious. Picture taken yesterday. It has a great substance and I think it is holding up real well. (My Sugar Maple has been dropping seeds all season---its so irritating and messy!

10 years ago

Atlantis. It holds up really well.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 0:01

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Atlantis!

10 years ago

A picture of my Goodness Gracious in June to compare with the one taken in September.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Lady Isobel Barrnett

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Yellow River is another

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have both Satisfaction and Goodness Gracious and love them both! I currently seem to be drawn to this type of coloring, but lately, I have seen several drop-dead gorgeous pics of different hostas that are even darker green than those two (in the pic, at least) and I want that! My Goodness Gracious is not as dark green as Satisfaction, which seems to be pretty dark like I'm thinking about. Also, my Earth Angel seems to fit the bill pretty closely as well.

Jadie, I think the starker contrast is what I am looking for, you said it right! Summer Lovin' was on my list this year and I passed on it when I saw it at Plant Delights for others. Now I'm sad, Waaaaaahhhhh!

Love the pics of Atlantis, I know I have browsed that one, as well! Love the wave to yours, newhostalady.

One of the pics that started me down this road was the pic on Naylor's site of Waukon Glass (see below, I hope Naylor doesn't mind my showing the pic, since they get a plug out of it). I'm thinking, is it really that green and that yellow? Does it fade quickly? Sometimes it's just the pic or just that perfect week of the year that it shows those colors and that got me to ask the question here if you guys have one that keeps the dark vibrant colors and has that amazing contrast.

Gorgeous pics, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

• User
    10 years ago

Oh boy, I did not realize until just now that I have a scarce number of yellow margined dark greens! My love is for the opposite variegation, yellow middles with green margins as narrow as eyeliner on my favorites.

But checked out my pictures and discovered a couple of candidates for you.

Afterglow, growing in morning sun

Goodness Gracious in mid August 2013

Liberty in morning sun and afternoon shade

Mariachi is fragrant, gets sun but I've moved it recently to a shadier spot

Seducer

Summer Breeze

Ventricosa Aureomarginata

Summer Lovin

Sunshine Glory

Erie Magic is on the right
    {{gwi:915461}}

Alex Summers

Spinach Souffle

Dark Shadows

My Friend Nancy

Paradise Sunshine

Millie's Memoirs & Zuzu's Petals (which is on the smaller side)

Luna Moth and perhaps Edge of Night

Mardi Gras

Wide Brim

and I better stop now. My eyes are bugging out. :)

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

These are all good suggestions. funnthsun, you probably know but the darkness is going to depend to some degree on how much shade it's in. The more shade the darker it will stay and the more yellow the margin will stay. You aren't able to change a mid green into a dark green but the light does make a difference.

My impression of my plants that one of the darkest with a wide yellow margin is Summer Lovin. For the last couple years I've been very impressed with how dark it stays. Mine is in lots of hot sun at the edge of a cement driveway. Here are a few pictures. I'm also showing a picture of Atlantis because while it is dark and fits your desired plant, I don't think it's quite as dark. It so happens that these two plants in my garden are very near each other so they can be photographed together. The Atlantis is on the shady side of a Sumac Tree so even this is not a fair comparison but you'll see that Summer Lovin is still quite dark.

Last year in July

End of September 2013

And the two together

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Ok, here's my photo of 'Summer Lovin.' It's still a young 'un, but it is already such a show-off. I swear it glows in the dark. You NEED this hosta! :)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Twilight - New last year

DD

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Victory on the home page of the Hosta Forum.

;>)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Nope, that's Liberty on the home page. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. It's dedicated to someone who has passed on.

I think Victory has a more cream colored edge most of the year.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Oooops.

Jon

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Go with LIBERTY.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh but I did put Liberty into that mixed bag of photos posted above.....admittedly it got lost amid all my suggestions. ;)

However, Hostanista's Liberty is a show stopper....and so is Papou's Liberty on the forum main page.

• jel48
    10 years ago

I know Summer Lovin has already been posted, but I do love mine, so am going to add her anyway :-)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have Liberty, but she's still pretty young. Looking forward to a mature Liberty.

Now, I'm even more sad that I took Summer Lovin' off of the list! Too bad it hasn't been in the auction this week that I've seen, either. Back on the list.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Fun, 'Summer Lovin' has been on Hallson's sale list for $11.50...that is where mine came from!