Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_flower

Extremely fragrant

kristin_flower
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest an extremely fragrant hosta. I want to be able to smell it when walking by if that's possible. I'd prefer bluish leaves and white flowers.

Comments (21)

• chris-e
    13 years ago

I don't think you will find any hosta that you will be able to smell just walking by. There are not enough flowers and they are too small.

This one is not blue, it's varigated light and darker green, but I just found out that it is fragrant. Holy Moly is a beautiful plant all on its own and the white flowers smell wonderful. Mine is blooming right now. I'll try to get a picture of plant and flower tomorrow.

chris

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

One of the insurance companys in our town has two huge areas planted with Hoenybell hosta and as you drive by when they are in bloon you can catch their fragrance from your car. Plantagina hosta are early evening bloomers but, if planted near a deck like some of our forum members have, they give off a wonderful fragrance. Royal Standard is another fragrant one from my garden. I think you need to have more than one fragrant hosta in a group to get more of the smell. Otherwise you have to get close to the flower stalks to catch the fragrance.

Right now I am getting whiffs of my Fall Blooming Climantis coming through my open window. Just wonderful.

Connie

• donrawson
    13 years ago

Here's a list which may be helpful: Fragrant-flowered Hostas

• kristin_flower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

• chris-e
    13 years ago

I looked at Don's list and saw "Abba Shalimar". Wow, has anyone ever seen this or is it an oldie? I would love to have one of those, esp if it smells like its name!

chris

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

It's from 1983, a Paul Aden introduction. Streaked yellow,white and green wih white edge, med size. Doesn't look like one that is currently available anywhere. I couldn't find a photo.

bkay

• chris-e
    13 years ago

No, neither could I. When I Googled it I just came up with it included in in a lot of databases.

chris

• tomahawkclaim
    13 years ago

Kristin -- I think the most fragrant hosta is either the original plantaginea or Aphrodite, an offspring. They are, unfortunately, plain green; none but an ardent hostaholic would appreciate what you have. The only fragrant blue I know is "Fragrant Blue" -- but most people agree that it's only very, very faintly fragrant. I second John's suggestion of planting a group of the Fragrant Bouquet family for 3 reasons: they're fragrant; they're beautiful; and they're remarkably bug resistant. I posted pics earlier of a bunch of my fragrant ones that are in pristine condition for September (or maybe late August). Nance

• kristin_flower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think a mass planting of Fragrant Bouquet is just the ticket. Maybe I'll try a couple of the original species plantaginea too just for the heck of it. Thanks!!

• hchristie
    11 years ago

What about Venus? Triple flowering version of plantaguinea Off spring of plantaguinea. I have not seen it or smelled it but would like to find one if it is triple the fragrance.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey christie .. bumping up an old one.. eh???

in the 20 years i have had venus.. IF IT BLOOMED three times .... i would be amazed .... and when it did bloom.. if it had more than one flower i would be startled ...

in theory.. you might be right..

but i doubt you will find anyone who could answer the question from observation

ken

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Kristin,I know that Nance has said that "unfortunately" plantaginea is plain green, but don't let that disuade you. I'd received 3 divisions last fall and I find the very light green, rather shiny leaves quite attractive when planted with darker leaved hostas. You might mix in some Fried Green Tomatoes (progeny of Guacamole; a plantaginea group hosta and therefore also fragrant) for contrast. My Fragrant Bouquet is really growing slowly. Maybe 2013 will be a leaping year.

I have plantaginea, Guac., Stained Glass, Fragrant Bouquet in one bed of fragrant hostas and will be moving my FGT there in early spring, so I am slowly building my fragrant hosta garden as well.

Les

• User
    11 years ago

I'm building a collection of fragrant-flowered hosta. I keep them in containers, and when one blooms, I move it near the others which are in bloom as well. Hopefully, I can make it easy for the pollinators to swap the pollen and I'll end up with loads of new and very fragrant hosta.

Maybe I have a photo of the latest lineup of the plantaginea heavy hitters, the ones which still look great this time of year, and anchored by Fried Bananas at one end of the row, and "mama" plantaginea at the other end.

I'm doubling down on the fragrant ones. I now have 3 or 4 Aphrodite, 8 plantaginea (species, the 6" long blooms), and about 4 or 5 Royal Standards, which seems to set seed readily. Then I have a LOT of the next generation of fragrant ones, including Guacamole, Avocado, Stained Glass, Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Bananas (LOVE this big dude), and a whole lot more from Don Rawson's list of fragrant flowered hosta, which I will link for your further enlightenment.

I'm down here in the really deep south, and it is a blessing that the plantaginea family with their fragrant flowers are the ones which like the heat more than any other species of hosta. I've never before sat in the garden waiting and watching for a bee or hummingbird to fly into a flower! That's about all the excitement me ole heart can take these days! :) (not really)

Here is a link that might be useful: Don's Lists....see Fragrant-Flowered Hosta

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Moccasinlanding, thats a great bunch of fragrants you've got there; I am truly jealous...OR maybe "envious" is a better term!
    :)
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

all our plants are tired...

11 years ago

plantaginea.. i call it close to a granny smith apple type of limey green... ken

• User
    11 years ago

Good way of describing Mama plantaginea's color, Ken. I enjoy looking at the freshness of the green leaves.

Here is a closeup of her with fading flowers. Fried Bananas rebloomed, and that scape is still opening one by one. Also a nice Granny Smith color.

• erdeem
    10 years ago

I am not sure what is the name of my hosta. It has white flower the flowers are extremely fragrant. During blooming period, I always pick the flowers to bring inside the house.

Here is the pic from last year.

Perhaps somebody could help me with the name.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi, Erdeem.
    Glad to have you drop in. The picture you present is good enough to be a wedding bouquet.

Probably those blossoms are about 6 inches long, and if so they would be from the species plant, the "Mama", which is simply called Hosta plantaginea. She is the largest of the fragrant bloomers, with her 6 inch pure white flowers. I credit this plant with my addiction to hosta.

You have a lot of beautiful flowers in your bouquet.

10 years ago

great pic.. bummed you buried it in some long dead post ...

if they were 6 inches long.. hard to tell the way they are being held..

its the species plantaginea ...

if 3 inches.. many possible names ....

ken