Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. 'Summer Breeze'

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 20:59

This little hosta delighted me and caught my eye every time I passed the bed where it is planted - it was just planted in July but breezed through this challenging summer unscathed. Here it is this week, perky and perfect.
Can't wait to see what a bit of maturity brings.
Jan

H. 'Summer Breeze'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. 'Summer Breeze'

Oh Jan: when I am not so tired I will dig out and post our photos of Summer Breeze again. It is a really lovely hosta.
Les bought it last spring when he was disabled and I love it. It is still in a pot and look forward to seeing it mature in a bed.
Theresa

o

Lost one, but it's replacement seems to be doing well.

Paul

o

Here it is outshining the competition in the "stump back bed" newly planted this summer at our cottage. That's the St. Lawrence River lapping at our seawall in the background. The bed is the 'lemonade' we made after a huge pine tree fell on our roof during a storm. The resulting exposed roots suggested 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'.
Jan

stumpback bed

o

Yep, you made lemonade out of that fallen tree.
Don't know if you could plant a clematis on that spot in the back, but morning glory seeds would grow quickly to cover that section in the back quite nicely for warm weather next year.

I like Summer Breeze too, and it reminds me of Fragrant Bouquet and Sweet Innocence. All of them with that soft green middle and creamy margin are a pleasure to have around.

Boy, I think we will have more than 3 inches of rain today. It is coming in waves since mid morning. Lovely!

o

Jan,

I couldn't agree more. I planted mine last fall and it has looked fantastic all season. It seems to be a strong & vigorous variety and looks great in quite a bit of shade. My eye is also drawn to it.

Photobucket

o

I want one now...where did everyone purchase their Summer Breeze from?

o

I'm rather embarrassed to admit I bought mine at Walmart before I knew much about hostas. Apparently there's a big nursery that grows everything from Patriot to Wheee! near us, and sometimes Wally World gets their excess. No closeup, but it's the smaller hosta between Stained Glass and Guardian Angel.

o

My Summer Breeze came from Naylor Creek.
Hosta12Aug175

o

You can get it from Hallson's (see Don_r's thread) for $12.00. Third year field grown plant.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Breeze

o

Thanks. Pretty sure this is going on my Spring list :-)

o

• Posted by irawon Ottawa ON 5b (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 16:44

Enjoyed looking at everyone's 'Summer Breeze'. All summer I've admired it because the cutworms/slugs/earwigs have left it alone. The drought didn't faze it either. Here's a picture of my SB taken on August 2. It's not as bright as some of yours but I love it all the same. 'Dance with Me' which I believe is related in parentage hasn't fared as well in my garden.

o

Oops- my bad. I meant Earth Angel.

o

It looks like it will do well for me in a pot. This is it's first year, but it didn't melt out. It even produced pods it's first year.

bkay

o

1 of our favorites as well thanks for posting

o

I can't figure out how to find a how to get a link from our fotos on PB when in 'Organize' 'Sort by . . .' mode so finally just did a search. It doesn't seem to allow you to search your OWN pics, just site-wide, drats!

Do other foto storage sites do this better?

Anyway, I came across a stunning clump, but again cannot get it to display here (it's from someone else) but if you cut and paste this link into your internet browser (I tried it and it works) you will see a beautiful example of this cultivar:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z47/gardengirl820/Hostas/SummerBreeze.jpg

hth,

hh

o

Hillbilly, I use Flickr and they allow searching your own photostream. I index my hosta submissions by name, so it makes it easy to find them again. I gave up on Photobucket.

And, while you could not put the HTML code for that picture up, in the email I got for posts to this thread, Yahoo had it as a clickable link, and the picture opened up pronto for me.

You are right, that is a gorgeous clump of Summer Breeze!

o

I bought mine this year from Vilts here in Wilmington who I believe bought his stock from Q&Z, which is strictly wholesale I believe.

Les

o

HH, you can search only your own pics in photobucket (PB), at upper right click on magnifier icon, then click 'album'.....type in name to search.

Paul

o

Paul,

That worked, thank you so much!

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here