Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Royal Flush and Luna Moth

User
9 years ago

In my quest to find another hosta similar in some way to Luna Moth, I've had poor luck, until I happened to look at Royal Flush tonight. I was browsing Jeff Miller's newsletter update and simply innocently scanning down the list of hosta-new-in year, and I saw it listed.

Do you ever just make a game of things, see where it leads, well, I was doing that. Seeing if my visual memory had the right picture of it, and if not well, update that bit of information. KNOW that hosta next time!

So that's what I was doing. I flipped over to Royal Flush from Savorys, I'd bought a OS division I liked it so much. But, well, when I looked at the picture of the hosta, it hit me hard, this hosta had a chance of pairing with Luna Moth as similar in look. Not saying in growth or behavior....just in basic look when in the garden.

That involved using the HostaLibrary Comparison link ...you know, I wish it was an applet I could carry on my Android smarty phone? Wouldn't that be nice?

So yes, I found two comparable photos and viewed them side by side, and now I know that yes, Royal Flush and Luna Moth pair very well, especially when I compare with LOTG's picture of Royal Flush. Every bit as elegant and sophisticated as Luna Moth.....who, I might add was peerless, singlular, and......none like her. hehehe

I'll have to take a look at my Royal Flush OS tomorrow. I think it is darker of leaf because I keep it in shade. Based on its June 2014 photo, it might get the look ...I previously had a Royal Flush from another source, not OS. It died this winter. I wanted to grow it based on what I'd read. Had no idea it could stand up with Luna Moth, not my young plant from spring 2014! So I'm very excited to see that my Royal Flush has coloring similar to LOTG's picture. How sweet IF it is!

Are you just waiting to see the two compared? I know it is about as exciting as watching paint dry, but aren't we hosta geeks different in many ways? So I know you are on pins and needles here....

Okay, I'll make it easy on you to find that picture. LOTG began selling it in 2006. Look for Royal Flush on the New In 2006 alphabetical list at their website.

Now look at a Luna Moth picture, any one you like in the Hosta Library....they are all perfect anyway.

Not quite a doppelganger but good enough for twilight viewing, glass of something delish in your hand. I might try that myself tomorrow night. :)

Comments (3)