Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendys_garden

Can't Decide: Guardian Angel or Golden Meadows?

Wendys_garden
10 years ago

I can't make up my mind which of these to get; they seem very similar.
I only have room for one so have to decide :(

How do they differ from each other?
Which has the longer-lasting center color?

If you prefer one over the other, what are your reasons?

Thanks for your help!

Wendy

Comments (14)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

My Guardian Angel is old... and about 4 1/2 or 5 feet in diameter... my Golden Meadows is only third year and small...I'm expecting it to be medium, or at least very slow to get to a larger size - while GA comes from a giant parent Blue Angel.

GA is a Blue Angel, so it grows pretty well in deep shade... and for me holds its misted coloration all season. I think for a decent growth rate GM will require more light...

So I don't really see them as very similar... one or the other should be better for you based on size and light conditions...

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Get them both. They are very different hostas. They are both beautiful, unique and outstanding at maturity.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I have two Guardian Angels, new last year. One in fairly deep shade and the other is in bright light but little direct sun. Both have held their misted blue color and both have grown a lot this year. I'm partial to blues so GA gets my vote over Golden Meadows which, I think, has more of a tendency to 'green-up'...note that I have not grown Golden Meadows.

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

I agree with Leaflover. Get them both. They are both amazing and quite different as they mature. Have them both. Love them both. GA grows fast and mine keeps subtle color variegation throughout the season. GM much slower growing but the early color variegation and constant color and shape changing habits make it unique. If you can only add one more new one this season, put the other at the top of your wish list for next season. You will not be disappointed with either one. Have fun! Gail

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I have both, new to me this year. I agree with what has been said. Out of the gates, I like Guardian Angel a better, since it holds the variegation. But the real key is the size difference, as said above. If you have enough room, get Guardian Angel. If you don't have enough room, get Golden Meadows...then spend the winter figuring out how to make more room! :)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

My GA is in morning sun, 3 years old, and is getting large. Holds its color well, fast grower and a terrific hosta. I love it, but if you're tight for space, it might not be the one you want. Golden Meadows has only been in a year, so I don't have a real opinion on it yet. It does turn green by late June, but the ruffling still is enough to make it attractive. GM is kind of like having two hostas in the same spot - bright and flashy in spring, green and serene in summer.

I guess you'll just have to take a deep breath and choose, you can't lose either way.

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

Tough decision:)

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I'll come out on the opposite side and choose Golden Meadows. I have both and it's grown much better for me. I love the tucked look to the edge and healthy looking streaks of different color but not the misting on Guardian Angel. It shouldn't surprise me that it hasn't grown well for me since it's in the Blue Angel family that also hates me. To my eye misted hosts look virused so it's a matter of taste.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I'll come out on the opposite side and choose Golden Meadows. I have both and it's grown much better for me. I love the tucked look to the edge and healthy looking streaks of different color but not the misting on Guardian Angel. It shouldn't surprise me that it hasn't grown well for me since it's in the Blue Angel family that also hates me. To my eye misted hosts look virused so it's a matter of taste.

• User
    10 years ago

I have my Golden Meadows in too much shade, I believe. I do not have Guardian Angel.

This year is #2 for Golden Meadows, and it even set seed pods for me. For its variegation, I must look hard to see the midleaf.

Here is the picture from early season, in May. Yes, it is a GM, its stitching is just not very apparent this year. It was there last year.

And now, here is a shot of it taken in June.

And then August.

Next year it will be moved to good morning sun.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Well, they're certainly both very nice, but forced to choose, I'd go with 'Guardian Angel'. Quite simply because I personally think it's a nicer-looking plant. I had heard that GA was a slow grower, but that hasn't been the case with mine. I took this leaf pic on July 16th, and after just going out and looking at it, I'm happy to say it looks exactly the same, as far as showing variegation. It hasn't misted up or 'clouded' up at all, and I like that.

Can't really go wrong with either one, but 'Guardian Angel' gets my vote.

Don B.

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & information. You have given me a lot to think about. I am leaning towards Golden Meadows because of it's smaller size. But after reading the comments, I really want both!
    I think I may have to look at where else I could fit Guardian Angel (meaning, what will get booted out of the garden to make room!)

Thanks again,
    Wendy

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Those two plants are sooooo different! Here, both are planted in heavy shade. Golden Meadows wops the daylights out of guardian angel for growth. this makes sense since golden Meadows is far greener later in the season and therefore more chlorophyll.

what a difference the age of the plant and the growing zone makes in terms of variagation lost through the season. here the guardian angel loses none and the golden Meadows remains with some, albeit subtle but certainly not entirely green.

the golden Meadows becomes a much fuller plant than the Guardian Angels airiness.

it's a really tough choice but if I had to make it golden Meadows wins.

then again we have beauty queen to make up for it.
    fwiw, hh

• w3csx
    10 years ago

Guardian Angle for the win. Here is mine after about 15 years.