Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandykk_gw

Finished Potting Shed

sandykk
17 years ago

Finally I have some pictures of my potting shed DH built for me. (Curtis asked to see when done.) I had so much fun planting and moving my hostas around, especially those who needed more room. They all seem to like their new home. So far I only filled in the raised bed out front and a little bed on the one side. Next summer I will have the whole area behind it to plant till my heart is content. There is plenty of high shade back there, so they should do well. Still have to paint the PT wood out front and build the outside potting bench under the shed roof, but that can wait till Spring.

Thanks for looking,

Sandy

{{gwi:288403}}

Comments (41)

• buff24
    17 years ago

FANTASTIC! I love it!! Great job Sandy!! Someday I hope to have my own little potting shed too... Very nice! By the way, in the second picture, is that Sagae? The yellow-margined one, very tall on the left side of the pic? If so, I can't wait until my Sagae looks like that!! Or maybe it's Regal Splendor??

Buff

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Sandy,

That's just adorable. I love it! What a nice husband to build it for you :-)

~Angie

• papou
    17 years ago

Excellent! Simply MARVELOUS! Very cosy...Congratulations!

Papou

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh Sandy, that is just so lovely!!! It's so whimsical, that I can almost see one of the "seven..."
    peeking around the courner! LOL

Do you have a potting bench on the side with the overhang?

I love it!

Janice

• soccamutha
    17 years ago

So, Sandy -

Where's the potting shed? That thing looks better than my house!!!

Becky

• marriedtomud
    17 years ago

What a great setting for your potting shed Sandy.
    And a wonderful shed it is indeed. It fits the location
    perfectly. All the ceative touches are amazing ... the stone walkway and retaining walls .... the tin roof ... lots of glass and plenty of gardening space in a really peaceful setting. All it needs is a plug in for coffee and a crock pot and I'd be wont to leave it. Theres even a place to hang a hammock under the lean to.

Thanks for sharing it with us Sandy. Post more as it grows with you.

Curtis/m2m

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

That is so neat! I've been wanting a potting shed for forever. We do have a garden shed (no windows) and I keep hinting to hubby what a great potting shed it would make with a little re-doing, lol.

I really like the stone walkway too.
    Have fun filling in those new beds!

Janet

• lynnem
    17 years ago

Sandy, very nice! I'd love to build one like that!

Can you post a photo of the other side, where the overhang is?

• nchostaqueen
    17 years ago

Beautiful SandyÂnow how did you get him to build itÂwhatÂs the secret? I need to work on my husband over the winter for something like that.

Deb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

super!!!!!

ken

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

what fun! The surrounding stonework and landscaping looks great also!

Teresa

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Wow Sandykk! Potting shed?!? What a wonderful retreat!! I'd outfit that sweet hideaway with an overstuffed chair along with the coffee pot/crock pot and maybe a mini fridge. Sigh, I'd have my art studio set up out there.

Thanks for sharing...oh, and I love the hosta stepping stones. Did you make those yourself?

Donna

• sandykk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for so many kind words!! Here is a picture of the other side for you Lynn. This is where the outside potting bench will go, looks kinda plain now. And yes Buff, that is Sagae there. I have Regal Splendor on each side of the steps that lead you down, and the tall one on the shed corner is a piece of Krossa Regal. Titanic is at the back corner. Actually the building part of the shed was pretty easy, the 4 tons of stone for the walls and path was the killer. I can't even imagine how much dirt we dug out for the wall. The lot slopes down, so we had to put in the retaining wall.
    Sandy

• greenguy
    17 years ago

very nice

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

That's just beautiful! The colors you chose, the landscaping, even the candle lights in the windows.
    How'd you make that stone walkway? I love it.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

That is awesome. You've done a great job! All your hard work was definitely worth it.

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

SWEET...

jill

• ptmax
    17 years ago

I can just imagine all the hours of enjoyment the shed will bring you. Very nice colours,Dutch-door looks good and the leaf castings are a nice touch.PM

• sandykk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Sassy, we were just winging it on the sidewalk. Did go over and read up on the Gardening with Stone Forum, that helped. We still have one more set of steps to do, right side in last picture leading over toward the compost bins. The main thing for the stone walk is to get it nice and level using the best stones out of your pallets.

PM, just got back in from making a new batch of leaves. Been so busy all summer long, this is the first chance I've had to make some more. Have a couple big Elephant Ears that I'm saving for a bird bath.

• mulchlady107
    17 years ago

Totally...well, totally something that I will put on my wish list (I e-mailed your pic to DH).

We have a shed...looks similar, with a lean-to, and I thought I would have a great place to work...but the lawn mowers got first dibs.

So sweet...enjoy!

Lynn

• megaul
    17 years ago

Wow! Looks just like the 'play house' I dreamed of as a kid and never got.

What a great hubby to build you such a marvelous spot to pot and ponder, reflect and grow.

They would have to pry me out of there every day! :-)

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

I just can't get over how neat that looks.

What size is it?

I'd love to see a pic of the inside.

That walkway is made from stones? I thought maybe it was
    one of those forms that you buy from Home Depo
    and pour cement in. What is the dark material
    between the stones. Is that dark sand? Tinted cement?
    Curious minds want to know.

I used to raise small exotic animal and I have a
    neat 8'X 8' cage that used to house a pet ratcoon
    and skunk, amoung many other critters over the years.
    Your potting shed is giving me ideas for that abandoned
    cage.

• lynnem
    17 years ago

Sandy, thanks for posting the side pic. Just love the shed, it's my inspiration! However, I have a feeling it would be taken over immediately by the storage needs of the opposite sex........

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

Really wonderful. I agree with megaul. It looks like a dream playhouse for a little girl. I hope you have daughters or granddaughters.

• diannp
    17 years ago

Oh, that is one beautiful shed! I love the Dutch door! :)
    I want one!!! :)

Diann

• Yard_Mom
    17 years ago

Really nice, Sandy! It looks awesome!

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Ooohhh I love it. Would definitely spend a lot of time there "potting".

June

• sandykk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sassy,
    The shed is only 8x10, not too big because we have a "real" shed under a portion of our deck for the tractor and mower etc. All the regular shed stuff. In between the stones you put down stone dust if you don't concrete them in.

Here are two pictures of the inside, hard to take being so small!! I still want to add some shelves here and there. And the last picture is my precious 16 month old grandbaby. She has been "helping" the whole time we were building. Yes, McTavish, we have two granddaughters so far, 16 and 8 months. Grandma will have to teach them all the names of the different hostas. There will be a test ;-)

Sorry the pictures are coming out so big, I don't know how to make them smaller. Thanks everyone again for the nice posts from you.
    Sandy

• marriedtomud
    17 years ago

What a precious little face.
    She is Grandma's helper alright ... just look at that huge smile.

I adore babies ... can you tell.

Curtis/m2m

• diannp
    17 years ago

Wow, that is such a cool shed! And that little grandbaby is so precious. :) Look at that smile!

Diann

• sassy7142
    17 years ago

Thanks for the inside pics. I want one too.

Your grandbaby is adorable.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

Can I come and play? LOL. I would have loved this growing up. I'd love it now. Beautiful job.

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Everything, the shed, the landscaping and of course the baby!

Janet

• Janice
    17 years ago

What a perfect set-up and I love the "decor" inside as well as out! I'd hate to "mess it up" with potting!LOL

And the "grand" baby--how absolutely adorable!! A "gardener" in the making, I see! LOL

Janice

• micke
    17 years ago

when can I move in? the baby comes with right? she is soo cute! makes me wish we had a least one little girl (2 is my limit however, and someone must of wanted me to have boys)
    I love the shed (don't know if shed is the right word for that masterpiece however, cottage fits it better) you could eat off those counters! you did a fantastic job. I really like the way you designed the gardens around it, honestly you need to get ahold of a gardening magazine, they would love it.
    micke

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Shed? There must be a new definition for the word! It's too clean in there!

Just kidding because I am soooooooooo envious.

Teresa

• geekbooks
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous potting shed ... and granddaughter, too! :)

• sandykk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You all are too funny, give me time, I'll get it plenty dirty. We decided not to make a potting bench outside under the overhang, at least not now. Instead we have a fire pit and a couple more of those old chairs. We have had fun roasting marshmellows. We have two little granddaughters now and I imagine I'm going to have to fight to keep the shed for me. We might have to find another corner to build a little cottage for them. They are so precious.

P.S. They skylights are really great, they let all the natural light in during the day so it's nice and bright in there. All my hostas down there have turned yellow and are sleeping. So I can't wait to see them come up next year bigger and better looking.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

I love it! Wish I had one for myself, I'd use it as a hideaway from the stress and noise of the day.

• dragonness
    17 years ago

That is the nicest potting shed I've ever seen. It should be in a gardening magazine, fore sure.. What a unique setting as well. This must have taken a long time to create. My sagae is much like yours...beautiful!

Cheers.. Belinda

• Debfink4
    12 years ago

Hi Sandy,

I absolutely love your potting shed. I am now in the planning stages of my shed and I am wondering if you had purchsed plans for your shed or if you just developed your own?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm