Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Land of Giants: excellent service

Posted by vivian_2010 IL 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 22:04

I am a happy customer! Ordered 3 hostas (Majesty, Sagae, Ebb Tide) Sunday night (actually Monday early morning ~ 3 am, can not sleep so went shopping...). A few hours later, received an email from Jeff Miller that order will be shipped same day. Wed afternoon my hostaa arrived! Huge division and good roots.

Majesty ~ 1.5 ft tall
Photobucket

Majesty and Sagae (~2.5 ft tall)
Photobucket

Majesty, Sagae, Ebb Tide
Photobucket

They were in the ground by dinner time Wed.

I am one happy customer!
Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Land of Giants: excellent service

Great to hear about good service and products.

bkay

o

Long tall petioles on those plants. Good show there! Cannot beat that for a quick turn-around on your order either....which is why I'm thinking if it is in stock this fall, I'd rather go ahead and get hosta now than wait for the weather to break in the spring--we can start planting in March and by May, when northern nurseries are ready to ship, it is almost too hot to ship without injury. Almost.

Those I plant this fall will be big and lush by May and 2 months ahead of any new arrivals.

So yeah, you did good getting them now.

o

hey viv ..

the issue in your zone.. is winter/spring HEAVE ... insure they do not pop out of the ground in the freeze/thaw cycles of spring ...

nothing like seeing those GIANT eyes/pips .. next years plant ...

i dont know what scares me more.. your shopping at 3am.. or him replying a few hours later.. lol ...

ken

o

September is my favorite time for planting, dividing and moving things around. Did a lot of that yesterday, and planting 7 new hecucheras ordered form Ilovehostas.net. Overall I find it less work to have the plants in the ground now and then settle in for the winter. I travel a lot during the late spring and summer months and so will have limited time to take care of newly planted hostas, etc. My challenge is that I have limited shade areas. So with my newly developed "love" for hostas and heucheras, I am putting them where they still get a significant amount of sun (afternoon sun also). So watering can become an issue.

Good advice, as always. I buried them a little deep and will aplly some extra mulch so they do not pop out too early next spring. This past spring was pretty tough and I lost a couple asiatic lillies due to the early warm up and frost. So I will be extra helpful.

Vivian

o

Jeff is a great guy. He's always quite generous with what he sends.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here