Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

all sorts of creatures can help with slug control, naturally

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

over the years I've posted pics of various natural slug and vole control helpers here on hillbilly ridge, but this one today is new (and very welcome) to me, and quite cute, too, eh :

Comments (10)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cool!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

further info in link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth Green Snake

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks, HH. I was just about to look up the 'Green Snakes of Michigan' websites on those internets. : )

Don B.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Heh-heh-heh, if it were here, I'd find a ring of passed-out bodies surrounding the site, gunshot divots in the lawn and an NYPD car pulled up to deal with the "dangerous creature". I've gotten panic calls from people finding a tiny Italian Wall Lizard on their porch (they live around here, descended from some that escaped a pet shop truck which overturned about 30 years ago). Can just imagine the panic such a snake would cause!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I hear you there, Esther. Earlier in the summer, I heard my neighbor's neice next door, 19 years-old, screaming like she's being killed. A couple of neighborhood people and I run in to their garage, where the murder is going down, and she's cutting a little Garter Snake into pieces with a snow shovel, all the while shreiking like she's Janet Leigh getting the Bates Motel shower/spa treatment. Truth be told, I had a passing urge to take the shovel away from her and just give her one shovel-slap to her Jabba The Hut-lookin' dome. Alas, I did not do that. I just shook my head and walked back to my front yard.

Really?? Please...Sometimes people are the least-intelligent animals in the kingdom, y'know?

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know that the few chems i use here are not too harmful because I see these little beasties a lot, more slug eaters...

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know that the few chems i use here are not too harmful because I see these little beasties a lot, more slug eaters...

{{!gwi}}

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Before I had so many hosta, I threw cracked corn around them and let the quails take care of the slugs and snails. Once my collection grew they couldn't keep up. I'm distressed if Iron Phosphate (I use Sluggo) is harming anything in my yard.

That's a nice looking green snake. I wouldn't mind snakes that aren't poisonous. I've only seen one garter snake in my yard years ago and no toads, frogs or turtles here. It'd be great to find a more natural control. Maybe go back to cracked corn and accepting some damaged leaves.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Do skunks eat slugs? They certainly like to excavate our lawn in search of grubs. I'll forgive them if they are eating slugs (and snails) too.
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Do birds eat the slugs? I have quite a few Carolina wrens here, having raised 3 generations of them in a pig flower pot sitting on my deck railing, hidden from view by a bougainvillea. Those little things police all the hosta pots, and I'm sure that's why I've failed to find a single cutworm or whatever this year.....but I've definitely had leaf damage from the worms. I sure hope they are eating the slugs too.

Then of course there are the toads. And then the snakes as well. I'm always cautious about them, since we are in a rather wetlands kind of area where water drains off down toward the lowland into Dog River. That means in extremely hot weather, we might be frequented by moccasins and coral snakes. I try not to keep brush piles very long for that reason. However, the vacant house adjacent to my back yard lovely neighbor has multiple brush piles where all sorts of wildlife lives. Wish I could have a couple of chickens, but do not dare try that again--until my roofwalking neighbor moves or dies.

I also love the turtles which motor through the garden on occasion. I have a sturdy watering container...a birdbath w/out a stand...especially for them, and place cantaloupe and watermelon and busted tomatos beneath the pink pirogue for their dining pleasure.

Lack of water has seldom been a problem for long this year. We've already had more than 50 inches of rain so far. My DH says that an inch of rain = a foot of snow.....so we'd be in deep trouble if it turned to snow. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!