Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

The two faces of 'June'

Dug up June from under the deck to cull blue sport.

Before division...

Comments (17)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the other face of June which gets more sun exposure. Digging up tomorrow for removal of blue sport.

Original Author
    10 years ago

June in pieces soaking in ammonia bath.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

What does an ammonia bath do?

bk

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

mold

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I love the way June looks in the sun. I don't have a lot of areas with sun though. I found out this year that I don't like the color of it being in partial sun. I prefer it in a lot of sun or little sun. Yours look happy and healthy. I can "see" that you are doing a great job of culling out the blue! Is the blue Halcyon?

Here is a picture of one of my Junes in the shade. I love water beads!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Your June is a thing of beauty pictured with the water beads! Takes my breath away. Yes, that's the blue and it's quite substantial already...I think I first noticed the sport last year.

BK...It's a precautionary measure...thanks, Dave! Little snails and slugs also hide within the plant so the 'bath' will get rid of them and any eggs.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 12:35

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Everyone's June pics are beautiful. I don't care if she's in sun or shade, she is a real beauty! Here's my June, she's in part sun. Still looking good even with the season winding down.

10 years ago

By the way, not red mulch in the pic! (Hate that stuff!) It must be because the pic was taken at twilight and the mulch was also damp with rain that it looks so red, cause it's regular brown. Wierd. The hosta is true to color. I didn't want Ken to hunt me down b/c of that mulch! :)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Haha...red mulch police on the prowl, eh?

An acquaintance of mine was just telling me what an amazing deal she got on a bunch of RUBBER mulch...she said she will have enough extra for me to take some, too. Gee, you think that would be a nice addition to the hosta beds? Heheh. Maybe its RED rubber mulch! Hmm...

Back on topic though, lovely Junes all around. That classy gal just can't take a bad photo. I can't wait until mine starts strutting her stuff!

• User
    10 years ago

Here is my 9/18/13 shot of June to the right of Essence of Summer. She has a couple of edges a bit brown, but the good part is still lovely. Down below, there is a new flush coming in. Or maybe it is some more pips poking up.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

'June' has become my favorite Hosta at the moment. Not that I have a large collection, just seven varieties all together. It has really performed too. Grown quickly from a small plant, in maybe 3hrs of morning sun. It's doing so well, I hesitate to touch it, but would love a second one. I might just pick up another one.

It's the first I've heard about 'blue sports', so I took a look at my photo to see if I had any. I see one solid blue leaf on the left side here, is that what you are talking about? Is there any harm in leaving it alone?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jadie...your terrific humour is always welcome!! Post a pic of that rubber mulch when you get it, ok? Throw it in here or start a vry funny post..lol

Moc...I actually am seeing a satiny sheen on your June...it's beautiful.

Prairie moon...you have a gorgeous specimen of June...the leaf you pointed out actually has some variegation on top left of leaf...see what Spring will bring...I had June for at least four years before it sported the blue. I culled it because I wanted to grow it..I used to have Halcyon, which is a parent of June.

As I've learned from Idiothe's wonderful 'tutorial' which I will find for you, some solid sports are very vigorous growers and if left to grow alongside the parent, can take over. Some of our forum gardeners pinch it out, or pull it off, or cut it...I let it grow for a full year and I'm so happy with its size and vigour. It will grow as H. 'Halcyon' in my garden (potted up for now).

Original Author
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon... here is an excerpt from Idiothe/Jim's explanation to me re solid coloured sports.

".......if a variegated hosta gets a solid sport started, that sport will usually be more vigorous than the original plant. It has more chlorophyll. It will often have larger leaves. Even if the same sized leaf, the additional chlorophyll, as a general rule, makes it a more vigorous plant - and that means it is producing a larger percentage of the crown in the ground. That crown will determine the composition of the plant in future years.

The time varies, but in the typical situation the solid will take over the plant.

On a more typical plant... you can leave that solid on there for a couple of years without too much concern - but most folks remove them immediately when they see a whole solid eye...just grab the eye near the base and give it a twist-pull."

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Gee, thanks Josephine! I learned something new today. I do love this 'June' hosta's variegation and I will wait for next year just to see how it does, but then I will pull that leaf if necessary and keep my eye on it in the future. I do see the slight variegation on that leaf. I bought my plant in 2008, so it was 5 years old this year and has been left undisturbed all that time. Thanks!

10 years ago

I did notice a leaf on my June that is different. It has a white streak. I'll keep an eye on it next year and see if it just goes away or it comes back with friends :)

• schiba
    10 years ago

Has anyone else had a June that sported a June Fever? My June made a Fever all of her own. I wonder if this is common, as 'June Fever' is listed as a sport of 'June'.

Sure pretty though. Glad to have a Fever.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I could be way off here, but I read that 'June Fever' is a sport of 'Devon Green,' the all green 'Halcyon' sport. If that source is correct, then a sport straight from 'June' would be something else, yes?