Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

garden pathways

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

I like to organize my pictures on themes, and garden pathways is the theme for this one,

may we see your pathways?

hh

Comments (36)

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another seed of the topic

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pathway to the molar bed

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pathway to the molar bed

{{!gwi}}

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pathway to the molar bed

{{!gwi}}

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pathway to the molar bed

{{!gwi}}

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Molar bed?

More information is definitely needed.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yes HH, please tell us about the mysterious 'Molar Bed'!

Don B.

• jel48
    10 years ago

Love your wooded pathways!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Mine weren't planned, they just sort of happened.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

HH, beautiful show with your pathways! So you grow all those great looking hostas under red pines with shallow roots. Must have been heavy work!
    I just got one molar fixed, but you got a whole bed of it.
    Bernd

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

HH,

Molar, a reference to the rocks that resemble teeth?

Jon

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Here's a few of my pathway pics...I call it my "Hosta Walk".

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Another.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Stairs lead to main path - 2 others in the far distance.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Bottom of the path, looking back up.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

One more view

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

All great pathways. Hostanista, what is the material for your pathway? ... how deep? .... how do you keep it weed free?

Jon

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

squirejohn n hostanista, beautiful, thanks 4 sharing!

now as to the molar bed, the only way I could have gotten a decent picture to show you what it was about was from a ladder and that is stored behind a bunch of other stuff in the basement, so instead here's a picture of the map for that bed

hh

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Looks like a molar with a lot of nice cavities. A dentist looked in my mouth one time and said "Oh boy, looks like a Caribbean vacation this year!"

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I don't have the room that hostanista has,but here is a small portion of my garden path. Phil

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the woodland look of that Phil !

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ahhhhhh, it's all clear now, HH! Molar bed!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as you arrive at the top of Hillbilly Ridge you're greeted with the driveway welcome bed ( no map needed to explain the name ;-)

• hostanista
    10 years ago

To answer jonnyb -
    The pathways were first weeded with a hard rake and then by hand; then I piled on pine needle mulch about 2 inches thick. I have a bunch of pine trees at the back of my property so there's a constant supply. During the season I keep an eye on the larger weeds and pluck them out when I see them. Took a while to get them to this stage, but now it's surprisingly easy to maintain.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hillbilly stepping stones

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information Hostinista. I have a lot of pines around. I am going to be a lot more careful separating and saving them. Nice job.

HH, you have a real hillbilly heaven with the stately pines and a property full of great plantings mixed with some whimsy here and there. Great job as are Squirejohn's and Phil's..

Jon

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Beautiful, everyone! HH, if I'm ever out your way, I think it would great to see your gardens!

• User
    10 years ago

I'll just put one in here. I have side aisles which I can access from the main walkway. I call the walking paths my "Moonwalk"...

Not because I walk it at night under the moon, but because I laid the first red 12x12 cement squares all around everywhere for my little maltese boy, MoonPie. He did not like to get his feet wet when he went outdoors, either to do his business, or to stay near me as I gardened. He was never more than a few steps from me. I lost him last year on October 5, from liver and kidney failure.

The most recent part of my walking path consists of the cement sand dollars which are about 18" across. In the twilight when they get wet, they have a pale opalescent lavenderish glow about them. It makes walking at twilight very special.

Also, I plan, in our remodel, to add a pergola across the only section of the garden not now rimmed by either fence or building. With that, there will be a "Stargate" (with H. 'Stargate' near to the gate) by which guests might be treated to a tour of the garden. I plan to require this gate as the entry point since it gives me a chance to give the first time visitor the full impact of this magic world, so as to inspire awe from the start. My first use of this portal was for friends just as the garden got into full swing. It had rained, The sanddollars glowed pearly lavender. The moss hung fresh washed, the hosta glowed as they do after a rain. When they entered my make-do Stargate, there is a small spot to pause.....which they did. And there I had them enthralled. It was magic for them, and I really felt good! That told me I was on the right track....or the right path. :)

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to go to Bama!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Another of my garden pathways,viewed from above! Phil

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Just beautiful, Phil. I love how natural and serene your woodland garden is.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, that's twice now with the jade green jug, I like it!

hh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

In my urban setting, pathways are tricks of the eye to give the illusion of more space.

Stone path (high road) to the left, grass path (low road) to the right.

...and when the low road reaches the corner, it loops around a mature pine and heads along the fence.

tj

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tj, nice looking jungle!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Tj, with all your wonderful photos, I always imagined you were one of those fortunate hosta-growers who have acres and acres of planting space. Talk about the illusion of more space...looks great!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thanks HH & jadie.

Oh, and jadie, just as paths fool the eye, cameras can do the same. ;-)

tj