Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Checking In

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Well I do declare it has been far too long since my last post.

Last I recall, I was sobbing over a rotted Radiant Star. God bless him, he was a fighter. When I finally dumped the pot for an autopsy I found two intact solid crowns. The original crown ended up rotting down the middle. So I have them both potted up (separately in case I almost kill one, again) and they are looking good, pushing out a new flush of leaves. It is late in the year, but better late than never I suppose. Chris assured me out of my hysterics and advised they would know when to go back to bed. Phew !

But my goodness what a whirlwind this season has been.

In June I embarked on a botanical extravaganza to Michigan. You all remember the fields of hostas I posted when I came back (still drooling). Well, slightly before I left I was offered a promotion at my job. Naturally I took it. My mother always said … nobody ever got paid for sitting on their @$$. And boy are they making me work for it ! I had known what the job would entail and fully accepted my new responsibilities, but I was definitely ignorant to the fact of how many additional hours I would be working.

This, along with the monsoon rains of June had cut severely into my garden time. And we all know that is no good. So June was a bust.

But then came July, the clouds parted and we saw the sun. And then I remembered why I hate July. For the first two weeks it was near 100 degrees almost every day. A sauna would have been more enjoyable.

The heat didn’t kill the humidity though and that was when the fun started (note sarcasm). The squirrels were on a rampage and tearing into my soft potting soil almost daily. So I diligently began reapplying the crushed cayenne pepper . . . only to watch it mold in two days. It looked like the blue mold you get on salami that sat in the fridge for too long. I did some research and discovered it was not harmful, but ugh what an unsightly mess !!!

So at that point I threw my hands up and said to hell with it. The squirrels still continue to terrorize my pots but I just go and fill the holes back in when I see them. I’ve fondly taken to calling them various profanities and throwing anything I find lying around at them. I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn . . . but they don’t know that. ;)

So anywho, now we are in the middle of July. The heat for the first two weeks had all but killed my desire or motivation to get any gardening done. And by the time it starts to cool down to a more reasonable 80 degrees the rains come again and pretty much wash me away into August.

August however was not such a bad month. It was smattered with rain, but there were some solid weekends where I was able to make some serious progress.

Dare I say it . . . I actually managed to get a whopping TWO hostas in the ground !!! But more importantly I finished the design plans for my first bed. I have about 7 more hostas sighted and plan to get the rest of them in by the end of next weekend. Any later than that and I might as well keep it in the pot for winter.

Elegans is already starting to show her fall colors and many others as well. It seems this year it cooled down quicker than last, but either way, with evenings in the upper 50’s the hostas can’t help but think it’s sleepy time. The sycamore are also stating to drop their leaves pretty aggressively. The maples though are still holding on.

But through it all I managed to lose touch with all of you, and for that I apologize. You all are no strangers to how quickly like can grab you by the cuff and drag you away. I’ve been snooping the forums as I can, but don’t have much down time these days. Everyone’s pictures throughout the season have been splendid and I‘ve enjoyed lurking for the past couple of months.

But yesterday I was reading Don’s post about the torrential rains in Colorado (thank God you are ok Don) and noticed my name was being thrown around. Curious, I did a search and found some have been inquiring about my absence for some time now.

Again, I apologize. No need to worry, all is well in Ludi Land. But I suppose I could have stopped by and said hello periodically to take the mystery out of it.

But enough of all this yammering. I’m notorious for my long winded posts, but I thank you if you made it this far through the text.

I will now reward you with what I consider my best shots of 2013 and promise not to stay away for so long again.

(Didn’t we go through this last year ?)

Ludi

Elegans beginning to unfurl

Volcano Island fresh after rain

Class Photo #1

Radiant Star . . . during better times :(

Elegans . . . . quite the lady seeing that fern can’t keep his hands off her !!!

Andrew

June

Wolverine

Class Photo #2

A leaf unfurling on Golden Meadows

Cascades . . . still one of my all-time favorites

Cranberry Wine . . . Ohhh Gurl look at dem LEGS !!!

Elegans

Class Photo #3

Stained Glass

Hudson Bay

The leaf edge of Sea Gulf Stream

Night before Christmas

Flower stalk of Dark Shadows against the leaves of Elegans

Rare Breed

Clifford’s Stingray

The Graduating Class of 2013

Comments (16)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH, LUDI! you're back! You've been missed...I'm so excited, I wanted to say Hi first, now I have to go back and read your post...comments to follow. Big grin :-)
    Jo ( not so newbie anymore)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Ah! Ludi! So good to hear from you and see those picture-perfect specimens of yours again. Congrats on the promotion...hopefully those hours ease up a bit with time.

Since you went radio silent after all that early summer rain, part of me worried you were on a total hosta hiatus while grieving 'Radiant Star!' I'm very glad to know you and RS are both hangin tough. :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Well, where does one begin? How about WOW for starters!

You've been busy is an understatement. You had me laughing reading your post about the squirrels...we probably use the same squirrel dictionary..lots of words under "b" and "ph" .

My oh my, Look at your hosta - I'll never forget seeing that "field of hosta" for the first time. Now looking at them again I feel that same rush. They are simply STUNNING! So perfect. Each and every one of them. I've bookmarked so I can look at them again, and again.

Your photography skills are to be envied - the way you display some of the leaf shots is brilliant...talk about showcasing..I'm out of words, simply said, Ludi.

Welcome back and please post more delicious pics along the way.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing.
    Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hey Ludi, glad all is well, and good to hear from you. Great pics. Best of 2013 indeed.

Don B.
    a.k.a. 'Guacamole Don' in case you haven't heard ;P

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Hey Ludi Good to hear from you. I have been lurking a little too doing more reading than talking. Glad to hear all good news. I too am tired for all this rain this year. I know others need it but there seems to be feast or famine, ie Colorado. Great photos too. Paula

It is almost 6am. Where is that sun? Getting later and later.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Glad to know you are well.

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

ludi - i too am sporadic, 'spit happens', as the baby bib sez, Thanks for a bunch of really great pictures!

hh

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Yes. How nice to see so many 'virginal' looking, perfect plants from early in the season.

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo - Thank you so much for the warm reception !

We are most definitely sharing from the same vocabulary when it comes to colorful names for the Tree Rats. I really hate them, it isn't healthy. But this is the great cycle of gardening, constantly holding back the various forces that would otherwise destroy all your hard work.

Yes, my “field of hostas” will be nice to reflect upon this winter when times get tough and cabin fever sets in. It really was a once in a lifetime shot as I will never have that many in a pot at one time again (at least I hope not). As for my photography, I claim no credit, the camera is really doing all the work.

Don - I had not heard, but I knew you were quite fond of Guacamole. Is it from this infatuation the name was born ?

I’m glad to hear YOU are well. That rain was no joke. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Paula - Glad I could coax you out of hiding for a bit. :) Where is the sun indeed ?!?! I noticed the other day that Elegans was already starting to pull her colors and Half and Half is almost down completely. Only has about three solid leaves at this point. The winter will be upon us early this year, I think.

Bkay - I am well and happy to be sharing with all of you again. :)

HH - Yeah, sporadic has become my middle name. I was a bit overwhelmed with everything there for a while in July. But my mother always said, when eating an elephant, take it one bite at a time.

Myrle - Thank you ! Those pics were taken in better days. I wouldn't dare link a pic now, they all look so ratty and tired. The rain and slugs were cruel to them this year. I am glad to have pics like this to reflect on when the winters are cold and I long for my garden.

Thanks again everyone !

Ludi

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Well, Ludi, kind of a running joke, and I take it as a compliment. Somehow (? how could that have happened?) I ended up with 23 'Guacamole' plants this season, and Mocc said I was 'Champion of the Guacamoles' and (Jo, or shoot, was it Donna? I'm so sorry, ladies, I can't remember!!) nicknamed her 'Guacamole' after me, and then I was addressed as 'Guacamole Don' and... It's fun, and I guess I earned it : )

Can't wait to show you pics of 'Guacamole Garden' next season!

Cheers, buddy!
    Don B.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words regarding the Colorado flooding. I'm sorry to say, places are still getting hit pretty hard. I am grateful that my home is not in a flooded area, however.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 22:37

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Ludi, I love your "classes". I wish my classes were so lovely as yours. You have a truly stupendous collection of beautiful hostas. Their obvious health and vitality only add to their basic loveliness. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I think a squirrel dug up and stole a tiny baby Yellow Polka Dot Bikini I planted only a week or so ago, so don't feel bad. It was either a squirrel of the 6 y.o. Demon Spawn 2 doors down. I'm betting this time on the squirrel!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I don't know if I asked this before,Ludi,but do you have limited space where you live? Those beautiful hostas need to be in the dirt,ie,the ground! I see you are in zone 7,so that shouldn't be a problem. And BTW,welcome back. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Oh my! Nothing like being late to the party.....Ludi, it is such a delight to hear from you. And to see the recap of your 2013 highlights. ALL your hosta are exceptionally beautiful.

So good to know that your absence was for good reason and good fortune. We did miss you....a lot. Welcome home!

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Hey Ludi - yes, you were missed and commented on...... after that awesome hosta trip this spring I thought perhaps you were lost somewhere in your jungle of great plants and couldn't find your way to the computer. Glad to hear you were just busy making money - to finance the next road trip lol.
    Jan

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Ludi - Very late to your home coming party - But I must say you have a collection of spectacularly pristine, healthy hosta. I love 'Goodness Gracious'!

DD

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Don, 23 Guacamole ?!?!?!? That’s dedication if I ever saw it. How does one come by 23 anyway ?

If I’m not careful I’m going to end up with that many Andrew after the show he put on this year. Handsome Stud !!!

But please share pics next year. Shame we can’t link fragrance, I’d love to be 3 feet from that bed in August when they are blooming.

Esther - Thank you so much ! The endless attention I showed them really paid off until about the end of June, then it was all downhill from there. They look nothing like they do in those pics now. But with all the water we had it should really pay off next year when they come back double the size (hopefully).

As for whether it was the squirrels or the 6 y.o. demon spawn . . . they have humane approaches to handling both. ::snickers::

Hi Phil ! You had actually mentioned to me earlier this year that I need to get them in the ground.

I can assure you I have every intention. I will definitely have enough space for all of them when I am done, but getting there is another story. The ground I’m working in had not been touched in years and had really declined. So I am systematically amending and sifting one bed at a time.

It is going to take me years before I have all the beds ready and everything in the ground, but until then they can live in their pots and grow up while they wait for their home in the ground. Being in Zone 7 I feel I have it a bit easier than some when overwintering in pots. We don’t have much freeze thaw and our winters get cold enough to let everything go dormant, but not too cold that I worry for their lives.

Come 10 years from now it will be a whole different story. Thanks for stopping by to say hello. :)

Dearest Mocc - yes I am back and happy to be sharing again. Your kind words warm my heart and I thank you. I saw your post the other day showing off your newest driveway bed and I smiled when I read it. I could picture you and DH out there just enjoying yourselves while creating something beautiful. I have to agree with Ken, palms and hostas is quite the juxtaposition, but you wouldn’t have it any other way. LOVE IT !

Jan - Ya’ know, I almost did get lost. There for a while all the rain and the sheer number of hostas to worry about got the better of me and I had to rethink some priorities. Having the new job on top of that didn’t help, but like you said it will certainly help fund the trip again next year and it was an opportunity I could not turn down.

DD - Goodness Gracious really surprised me this year since I have a lot more shade than what I thought it preferred. But the colors pulled through regardless, so I am a happy camper. It is a tremendous hosta in both size and character. I have plans to give it a bit of a feature spot.

Thanks again everyone, really glad to be able to post again.

Ludi