Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

ratty looking hosta

I have many hosta and only this one is looking pretty rough. Does it have a disease?

Comments (13)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

No, my friend. I'm guessing it is just tired and is starting to go dormant. I have a few that have started the same thing a week or so ago. Others may disagree, but the time seems right. No worries.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

old age

sleepy time

hibernation imminent

be back next year

time to drool over the catalogue

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Several of mine look the same. I was going to take a photo of LS Shore Master for another thread, but the edges were too burned to show well. Mine don't usually go down until the first frost or close to it, but the look ragged long before they go to sleep.

bk

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I can't bring myself to even take pics of mine. They've been run through with holes to the point that much of the leaf matter is gone. Between the isopods and the slugs,there isn't much left to look at. Hopefully the damage isn't enough to stunt next year's growth.

Every time I see a toad on the front porch I make it a point to catch it and release it out back,telling it that there are plenty of slugs and isopods for it to feast on...now if only it would STAY and take care of the problem! I swear it's the same toad that keeps turning up out front! lol

Next year should be interesting,seeing what comes back for me. I'm assuming they will look more established by then.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

{{gwi:1094099}}

Feel better now!!

DD

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    9 years ago

Mine are the holey-est they have ever been. It's been a banner year for slugs. Any hosta with a white center, doesn't have one anymore. Funny, the white edged ones are not so affected.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's just sad. Well I guess they will be perfect again next spring. I have not had problems with slugs eating my hosta this year. My guess is either the toads are doing their job or it's the natria granules.

Thanks to everyone's replies my ratty hosta got lucky and will get to stay in its place.

Thanks so much!

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Yes, slugs have been a BIG problem this year. Finally, after 2 applications of Natria slug killer, they seemed to be stopped. The new leaves on heuchies and hostas finally stopped showing holes. Do I have to apply Natria again next year? I am betting I will.

We don't have toads around here. We do have some small Italian Wall lizards, but I have never seen any in my gardens. They like dense short vegetation, and that does not describe the expanse of lawn they'd have to cross to get into my garden. And, I don't think Italian Wall lizards eat slugs. Just regular small insects.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I suspect you are talking about mediterranean geckos.

If so,then I think you are right about their not eating slugs...toads are a tough act to follow!

Here's a pic I found on the net...is this the lizard you're talking about??

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

What a cute little guy. We have a few different kinds of skinks around here and every now and then will find a salamander.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I think so too. Back when I was residing in a fema camper on the gulf coast after katrina hit,these little guys were all over the walls of an elementary school where the campers had been stationed. By day the residents weren't allowed to cut accross the actual school yard,but by night nobody really cared if you were on the property proper. This was when these little guys were out and about all over the walls of the building. One night I caught no less than 50 of them. After a haul,I'd release them under the camper as cockroach insurance. Never saw a roach. Not once! lol

Pity they don't (I really don't think so anyway) go for slugs and snails,huh?

Edited to say happy birthday to Bungalowmonkeys. :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 17:33

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Very sweet, thank you!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

My h.'Bressingham Blue' first turned green and now has a yellow border, which looks nice, is a way of thanking me for my care.
    Bernd