Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will the real Empress Wu please stand up

Posted by almosthooked none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 23:34

just kidding! Myrle superimposed it in my new bed and waiting for my other plants to arrive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will the real Empress Wu please stand up

Actually ... this is mine but I can dream can"t I?? Someday I hope

o

That Myrle is getting good with Photoshop. Ask her if I send a small plantaginea photo could she make it a big one? Big HOSTA, not big PHOTO.

Your young Emplress Wu has big dreams of dwarfing those huge rocks or boulders already. She knows she can do it. Be sure to take her school picture every year spring and fall so we can all tell how she is growing up.

And you know, it was a lot easier to keep track of the growth of individual hosta when I started this spring. Now I find quite a few hosta that I've overlooked documenting.
I try not to play favorites, but perhaps I'm becoming Old Mother Hubbard who lived in a shoe with so many children she did not know what to do.

o

I planted mine in April 2010 as a 2 to 3 eye plant and now it has 8 eyes and measures 63W x 36T inches. It will grow fast. Here is mine standing up earlier in spring, still growing. Bernd

o

Gorgeous looking hosta, Bernd. Fine example of what she can do.

o

Bernd, I ove it! It sure looks healthy . Mine looks kind of silly way out in the center but I didn't want to have to replant it later. I may have to put in something temporarily behind it for now.

o

It needs some shade and regular water, I also fertilize my hostas. It has no holes of any kind right now, leaves are still perfect, so you will have little trouble with it per my experience. Bernd

o

I hope mine looks like that bernd. Right now it is still in a pot for the winter until spring planting time.

Les

o

Mine has been a slug magnet and cutworms or something chomped part way through petioles. It looks plain ugly. I will try to find a new spot for it next spring, if none available it will go to any taker..

o

h.Whirlwind, h.Empress Wu

The Empress planted in mid-May as an advanced TC.

Photobucket

Some nibbling, but The Empress seems to be getting firmly established with new growth and reaching 18 inches or so across. I expect she will be holding court next Spring.

Jon

o

Here Is mine also a few nibbles.Its only been in ground since early august.

o

John, those links did not work for me. Can you simply put your pictures in the post? I'm fighting a computer problem here, and cannot take many chances of iffy links.

Thanks.

o

Mocassin,

The photos are in the post. One did not come up for me. I right clicked on the box that showed up and then clicked on "show photo"

Here are the photobucket, copy and paste, links.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/jonnyb023/?action=view¤t=DSC_0167.jpg

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/jonnyb023/Winding down/?action=view¤t=DSC_0454.jpg

Jon

o

Jon, the first link got only some sky with stars, second one had a hosta. Bernd

o

Bernd,

Sky with stars is a background on Photobucket. I have no problem getting both photos pop up today.

Jon

o

You won't recognize your Wu in a couple of years. Here's mine this spring. I planted this one in the fall of 2010, so she's about 2 and 1/2 years old here:

Photobucket

Gesila

o

....Gesila, your Wu has another full season of growth behind her since that picture. Has she started going dormant yet? She sure is looking grown up there.

Not having a shaded spot where I can plant such a massive hosta, I'm wondering if I can get one of those crooked-post patio umbrellas like 11 foot diameter to shade such a hosta and go ahead and pop one in the ground. So much work still to do, and my source of pine bark seems to have gone missing.

Stalled, but never stopped.

o

Gesila, I sure hope it will look as nice as yours. It is perfect looking.

Moccasin, I can't get one of those 7 foot umbrellas on my deck to last more than 3 years and they spend the winter in my cellar. I would opt for a pergola. (???)

Jon

o

This one gits at least 6-7 hours of direct mid-day sunlight in mid-season:

Foto taken 28 May this year, so it's noticeable bigger now. You may judge it's size in reference to the standard size garden tag in front of it.

fwiw,
hh

o

All your photos of her are so georgious and not really a long time to grow so big. I am hoping I have enough shade too but HH said it gets midday sun and looks great so with lots of water and my house and large rocks it should be well protected. Exciting to see such progress

o

It would be so nice though to have a blue streaked and corrugated Wu with piecrust... I bet some hybridizers are working on that right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here