Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Hosta transplant extension dug!!! Hostas transplanted!!!

esther_b
10 years ago

And oooooh, my aching back. I started at 4:30 p.m. today to dig the 18" bump-out of my original Obligatory Bushes garden to accommodate transplanting my hosta garden plants there. We did NOT get the promised deluge of rain, so first I had to thoroughly soak the entire 17' span all the way around the front to the back. I was frantic to get that water in ASAP so I could start digging. While the hose was playing water on the critical areas, I was measuring 18" out from the garden edging with a tape measure and marking it with bamboo skewers as a guide to digging.

Thankfully, the water treatment made all the difference and I was able to dig ye olde shovel in nice and deep and lift out large clods. I beat them with the shovel and tossed the grass into a huge garbage bag. Haha, the maintenance guys will have a surprise trying to lift that one....

After 3 hours of hard labor, the worst part--the turning over of the raw lawn--was accomplished. I then poured several bags of good topsoil all along the 17'. This was then anointed with Plant-tone. Then the fun began...

Of all times for the vestibule light to burn out, this was it. That meant I had to open the garbage bags of hostas on my lower stairs in my own foyer. I will get a great chance to really put my new Miele canister vac through its paces tomorrow, to rid the stairs of the inch or more of soil now residing on them. Anyway, I made a rapid choice of what would be planted next to what, and planted them--in complete darkness by now.

I am expecting 3 new hostas this week, so the gap between the last hosta I planted and the beautiful new 16" pot of mini hostas and Autumn Leaves heuchie will soon be filled. I hastily dug out a few annual salvia from the original hosta garden to fill the space, hoping the maintenance men won't notice the bump-out and inform the co-op manager.

Then I planted the Blue Cadet and Undulata mediopicta, which I don't have room for in the new bump-out hosta garden, under my handicapped neighbor's tree. Her son told me it was fine with him.

Finally, I watered and watered and watered the transplanted hostas, as I was concerned they had dried out somewhat in the sealed garbage bags. I hope they make it through the tranplant OK and live, after all that!

Hostas I could not find in the garbage bags: Maui Buttercups, Yellow Eyes. Heuchies missing: Ginger Snap. They probably got mixed in so well with loose soil in the bag that they were too well camouflaged to find. And believe me, I looked and looked for them.

So, until the new hostas arrive, I got this enormous job done and I am SITTING in my computer chair. Had a couple of Advil, waiting for them to take the little aches away. Nothing major, just my muscles reminding me that I put them to hard use today.

Comments (6)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

grats on a productive day ... i spent mine nursing a sick headache ... and it was prob the last nice weekend day of the year to get anything done outside

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about your headache, bragu. I didn't stop with the digging and planting and watering until 11:30 p.m.

Aaaaah, the Advil has started to work...

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about your headache, bragu. I didn't stop with the digging and planting and watering until 11:30 p.m.

Aaaaah, the Advil has started to work...

• User
    10 years ago

Esther, you go girl! Hopefully the maintenance guys will realize--if they notice--that you've relieved them of a chunk of lawn and let well enough alone.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I'm glad that some of your neighbours didn't alert your manager to the clandestine activities being carried out under the cover of darkness. Sounds pretty suspicious to me LOL.
    Jan

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, so far the dead tree has NOT been removed, and the haste I was forced to use in saving my hostas under the threat of imminent plowing under of the garden caused me to lose Yellow Eyes, Maui Buttercups and heuchie Ginger Snap. I just could not find them, search though I might, in the 2 bags of hostas. :( And, so far, I have not received a nasty letter or email from the co-op manager. Maybe, with all the fallen leaves in the yard (means the "landscape workers" will be revving up those noisy leaf blowers soon, I guess, blasting us all with dust, mouse dropping and other oh-so-healthy particulate matter to get rid of those) the genius-level maintenance men have not copped to the fact that the garden edging is 18" farther out than it was Saturday night. That's why I labored into the night, because they are not there Sunday.

I already got compliments from neighbors on the block for the new extension, and it's FAR from complete. Thursday the 3 new hostas will arrive and probably the 3 mini-heuchies, which will help.

I want PURE HEART mini hosta for my 16" pot, to keep Sparkler and Cracker Crumbs company. Hard to find this time of year at anything less than a sum approaching the national debt.