Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_dirt

"Sunny" hostas

old_dirt 6a
10 years ago

I am making a new hosta bed to be planted next spring. It is going to have a "sun" theme. All of the plants will have "sun" in their names. Anything like sunshine, sun power, sunny delight, merry sunshine, etc...you get the picture?

I will probably need 4 or 5 large, 8-10 mediums and several smalls. I presently do not have any hostas in this category. The bed will only get minimal sun, maybe 2 hours mid morning. Any suggestions and experiences will help and pics would be nice too.

I'm looking to have some fun with this.

Comments (15)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

grrrrrrrrrr glitchy thing

This post was edited by bragu on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 6:10

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

h. sun power
    sunshine glory
    little miss sunshine
    sun kissed
    rainforest sunrise (2013 HOY)

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Sweet Sunshine--medium sized & fragrant

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Little Sunspot
    Riviera Sunset

I have both of these, I'll see if I can scramble up some pics for you. Nice theme!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Sunshine Glory is an oldie but goodie that you will really like. Inexpensive too.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 12:41

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I got both Little Sunspot and Riviera Sunset this year. Little Sunspot is a tiny one right now and is starting to go dormant, so don't even have a pic of that one. Here's a pic of my order when I received Riviera Sunset from Naylor, it's in the middle. If I remember correctly, I got this one b/c it has similar coloring to Orange Marmalade, but holds it's color better. I don't particularly care for Orange Marmalade b/c of it's color changes after Spring, so this one was a good choice for me.

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

summer breeze

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Those are the four "sunny' host" from my garden. They are in the medium/small range.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Sundance', also an older variety, leaf margin similar to 'Francee', also very cheap. Did well this season in the Colorado sun.

Don B.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Two favorite yellows are 'sun' hostas. Sunny Delight and Rising Sun are fast growing and upright. Rising Sun is also shiny which is nice.

The first picture is of two new ones this year from a local nursery. I'm looking forward to seeing them next year.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

September Sun and Sun Hosta. I cannot find Sept Sun but here is Sun Hosta. Paula

• old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions, lots of nice ones out there. I wish I could have gotten the bed ready and planted this year but I've only had use of one arm since the end of July.

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Hopefully things get better with your arm. Another to consider is Carolina Sunshine. Mine in full sun is still very dark green with a nice golden yellow edge, that has not bleached to ivory.

• User
    10 years ago

Paula, where on earth did you get Hosta 'Sun' or am I not correct and it should be Hosta SUN? I'm still confused about nomenclature, but intend to work on that this winter.

The little lady from around Orlando had them too, and got them from a Florida nursery. I have not seen any available from my "usual suspects." So just what IS the nature or parentage of that particular hosta?

Hope your arm recovers, OldDirt.....it sure does put a hitch in gardening plans when only one arm can work. Like a one-armed paperhanger, as the saying goes.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Gardens1, glad you mentioned 'Carolina Sunshine', forgot about that one. It's beautiful.

Don B.