Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainy_man_z8_ireland

Hazzard a guess?

When going through some pics for Don's thread I found this one which I had forgotten that I took. A friend who moved to Scotland brought this back for me on a visit(was divided off a clump in a rented house, naughty girl lol), anyone recognise it or is it too young to id yet, pic taken 19th july this year.It was in full Irish sun all summer and held the blue very well, produced pods too.
Thanks.

Denis

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

was it in a garden.. where we should think its an actual cultivar????

i find it amusing.. when peeps start shouting out names of the newest and brightest in the hosta world ....

when the facts might suggest its been sitting in a garden for 20 odds years ...

all you say is 'rental house' .. is there any kind of developed garden.. that would indicate someone actually paid good money for it???

more facts.. even speculation.. would help ...

never forget.. a hundred dollar hosta.. w/o a name tag.. is a 5 dollar hosta... no matter what currency you use ...

regardless.. i would like to hear.. what current plant it looks like.. dont get me wrong.. i dont want to stifle the fun .... its even more amusing.. when some 20 year old plant is a dead ringer for the newest one on the market ...

ken

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Could be Blue Angel,but that is just a guess. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Halcyon flowers in July. Leaf size looks about right. I'll go with that.

Steve

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know where yer coming from Ken, yes its in a large garden surrounding an old cottage , the mature garden had been neglected for years but must have been well loved by someone who knew their plants, it has some nice trees and a large selection of interesting shrubs and perennials. It could well be 20 years old or more given the maturity of the garden.

Was thinking Halcyon myself but some pics of Blue Angel look like it too, I may have to wait and let it grow a bit more before it becomes clear what it is, thanks guys.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

halcyon is the blue from which june came ... and June is old enough to have been around forever ...

and if you have june.. you will.. eventually get... halcyon ..

that gets my vote ....

as you post more pix.. think about throwing in a scale.. that we are all familiar with ... lighter.. pen ... anything familiar ...

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken, will do, this was taken before I discovered the forum, I know better now, will get a ruler for pics.

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Just to be difficult, I am going to through in my 2 cents. I am guessing that the pot would be about a 3gallon, just by the surrounding items in pic, and it looks to me as though the hosta has lighter leaf edges, which would rule out both BA and Halcyon. What about tokudama aureonebulosa? Not sure if I have that spelled right, going from memory, and I don't have that hosta, so just a guess, but looks like it could possibly fit?

Original Author
    10 years ago

gardens1,

Thanks for your reply, no problem being difficult its all a learning curve for me, I fear that the picture is not helping , the lighter edges you see is the evening sun shining through, the leaves are a solid blue.

As I saw in the hosta library Tokudama aureonebulosa is a fairly strongly variegated and is a definite no but the solid blue Tokudama is a possibility although its flowers were pale pink and not the near white of the tokudama as described on the my hostas database.

Denis

• User
    10 years ago

That's a variegated leaf, which has a nice shade shift from a yellowed green to a darker blue green middle area. If it were darker I'd think similar to my Dark Shadows. But, since I cannot imagine how the sunlight of a northerly latitude affects that picture. Yours is a beauty for sure. Here is the picture of mine which sort of resembles yours.