Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Need advice: Smorgasbord for moles & deer!

Hi, Everyone! Sorry it's been a little while since I've been posting, although I have been keeping up on the reading, at least.

As some of you may know, it looks like I and my 350ish hostas and quite a few other irreplaceable perennials are moving to Virginia! About 200 of the hosta are now in pots, I will be digging up the rest and the other perennials this week and they will move this weekend. I am planning to just plant everything in a very large holding bed for this winter and then decide what to do with them individually next Spring (orange clay soil, by the way).

Here's the problem, though. I have never had to deal with moles, deer, etc. at my current house. At the new house, I know for a fact there are plenty of both. I feel like I'm planting a smorgasbord for them! All in one place, conveniently located all you can eat salad bar! Not too worried about the deer THIS year, as the hostas are going down at this point, anyway, but I have no experience with moles. I also have no idea if voles are present and I would be absolutely livid if they ate all of the bottoms of my hosta over the winter. How can you tell if they are around? Soooooo, do you have any advice on this, those of you who deal with this on a regular basis? How can I stack the deck for success here? Thanks so much!

By the way, can't use poison, as I have dogs.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 8:33

Comments (5)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

You should know, perhaps you already do, that Moles don't eat Hostas. They are carnivores that eat earthworms and grubs. They may make tunnels in the wrong place and uproot a Hosta, but I've never had that happen in 20 years of growing them.

Voles will eat Hosta roots. What you should look for are small (mouse sized) holes that are in the ground. I often see these around foundations or patios or large rocks. They stay warmer in those places. You should also look for shallow tunnels that will indicate the presence of voles. If I see evidence over the winter I set out small mouse traps with peanut butter or apple and cover them with a heavy pot. Check the traps regularly to see what gets trapped. Mice have long tails. Voles have short tails and they are a dark gray color.

Do not put out poison. Critters that eat poison do not go underground to die. Nor do they die right away. Often they get eaten by hawks or other predators and you end up poisoning non-target animals.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vole tunnel images

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was very helpful, Steve, thanks so much! I haven't seen evidence of voles yet, but didn't really know what to look for. I'll keep an eye out for this.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Funn, as far as the deer go, purchase Liquid Fence. It's a large bottle you spray around your garden bed. It smells HORRIBLE (just like an outhouse), but to us humans the stench only lasts a couple hours. Deer seem to smell it for days. I spray around whatever I want protected twice a week, and just in a big swath around the bed, not around every individual Hosta.

It's the only thing I've found to work against deer and rabbits.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I used "I Must Garden" brand deer repellent. I sprayed every hosta leaf and did it about three times this season. It does not stink, smells like mint, but it obviously has egg solids in it. One morning there was evidence of deer travel through my garden. Every Liriope had the centers bit out, but no Hostas were damaged.

My bow hunting neighbor did take a couple of deer out of the woods near my house last winter, and I'm hoping he'll do it again this year.

Kathy

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

I made my own liquid fence. 4 eggs, some garlic, gallon of water and a couple of other ingredients to make sure it sticks.

Let it sit in the sun for a few days. Smells bad, but beats the price of buying Liquid Fence by a long shot.

A couple of my neighbors even commented about deer being around my Hosta, but they don't eat them.