Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help id

Posted by garden_crazy z5 N IL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 8:26

I bought this fabulous hosta this summer but it had no id., very thick leaves and this pic was just taken on Oct.5. It's a young plant so I know it's tricky to id, but I would appreciate any thoughts. -Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help id

Possibly Loyalist. But there are other possibilities as well. Very nice plant. Any flowering information? Did it give you a scape or did it have a scape cut off when you bought it? Has the center always been white or was it creamy or yellow/cream earlier in the season?

Steve

o

Perhaps h.'Half and Half'?

o

No scape this year and it has looked the same since I planted it, maybe the end of June. Not Loyalist. I have that one. To have a hosta that still looks this good in Oct. is a great thing and I just want to know what to call it! -Maybe it did have a scape and I don't remember!

Thanks for your help!

o

That's a robust looking hosta! Could it be H. 'Rainbow's End'? RE has really thick leaves and mine is still going strong too (acquired during summer), although the leaves don't seem to have any undulation as yours do....just thought I'd throw that out there.
Someone should be able to ID with certainty, hopefully. :-)

Jo

o

Thanks, Josephines but I have a Rainbow's End growing just a couple yards away. Not that................anyone else?

o

I know its a long shot, since you'd expect the wider, bright white center, but my very young 'Fire and Ice' has narrower white centers, like yours.

o

Not sure if there is enough streaking (I think it develops more with maturity), but what about Sharp Dressed Man?

o

I like Bernd's suggestion. Look at the Library pics of Half and Half.

Steve

o

What about Americana?

o

Thanks everyone. I have sdm, americana and f&i. I'm sure it's not those. -I know it's hard to tell in the pic but even on this young plant the leaves are almost a foot long. Maybe I'll just have to see how it develops in the next couple of years. Even going into mid Oct., it is still one of the best looking hostas in the yard. Thank you all for your help.
GC

o

One more final stab-- American Sweetheart?

o

Don't think so - I have that one also. Thank you for your help.

o

Well, I think you have them all! There must be a match in that garden somewhere! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here