Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Slugs transfer Nematodes ??

Posted by newhostaaddict z4/5WI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 9:49

They move from plant to plant,,,are they Carriers ??

If sooo,,,,we're DOOMED...

jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Slugs transfer Nematodes ??

No, slugs are not a vector for foliar nematodes. Foliar nematodes move from plant to plant mostly through rainfall and overhead watering. However, I have seen research that recommended washing tools after working on one plant before going to another. But people should be doing that anyway.

One of the ways of managing or limiting foliar nems is to remove the foliage of those plants with evidence of nems in the fall and disposing of it in the trash. Another is to not use overhead watering. This is one reason why drip irrigation is a preferred method of watering. A third is to simply remove any foliage that shows damage during the growing season and trashing that.

If you're in zone 4/5 you aren't going to see any damage until very late in the season. In your zone most people would choose to limit the damage as I have described. If you are in warmer zones and nems show up in late June or July, then it's a different matter.

Steve

o
RE: Can Slugs transfer Nematodes ??

well,,,THAT,,,at least,,,,is a RELIEF...,,

jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here