Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Cucmber remedy for slugs--next year maybe?

Janice
14 years ago

Just got this in my mailbox this a.m., from a long list of beneficial uses of 'cucumbers':

" Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin

and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with

the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make

them flee the area."

Worth a try, I suppose! Now, why didn't I save all those small pie-tins that use to come with the

frozen Chicken Pot Pies, Spaghetti and Marcaroni dishes I use to have on hand when our 39-yr

old daughter was little?

Comments (23)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I am definitely going to try this! Hmmm, I foresee winter dinners of frozen pot pies-lol. Thanks Janice.

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

LOL LOL Janice!!!!!

If that is your only problem,life is good!!!!

Sounds like a good thing to try next growing season. BUT, will I remember to do it??!!??

Connie

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

soak the cuke in vodka...

place under tongue... while you use vinegar or ammonia ...

otherwise .... never heard of it before ...

ken

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just make sure you don't *switch* those 'remedies', while you're at it--ken! LOL

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Maybe you could soak them in beer first! Hmmm might be good. Very funny!

14 years ago

switching the ammonia might not be good...

but vinegar... sour cream and cukes...Gods gift to my cholesterol ...

ken

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, YES, ken!! A great recipe! LOVE IT!!!
    Or, vinegar, oil, sugar and cukes--slurp!!!

Let's not waste 'em on the slugs!

• donrawson
    14 years ago

How's this fellow looking?
    {{gwi:1095500}}

• donrawson
    14 years ago

A new remedy for an old problem?

eat 'em

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

EEEEEYOOOU!!!

• chris-e
    14 years ago

Oh Don,

That makes me queasy! Especially since your "eat 'em" remark reminded me of one of the darkest episodes of my youth.

My husband's family was at French restaurant for their French grandmother's birthday and my brother-in-law dared me to eat just one. I did, first time, last time!

christine

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

With lots of garlic butter-yum!

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Hopefully the garlic and butter is for eating the cukes, and not the slugs!! and that one big slug posted, hope that I never see one of those in my yard!

Paul

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

Is that really a slug? It looks like a python - belongs in a zoo.

Westy

• tomahawkclaim
    14 years ago

Chick pot pies come in cardboard nowadays. What still comes in aluminum pans?

14 years ago

yum.. garlic and butter.. heck i would eat my boot with a good prep of that stuff ...

ken

• donrawson
    14 years ago

More mega slugs...
    {{gwi:1095501}}

{{gwi:1095502}}

{{gwi:1095503}}

{{gwi:1095504}}

Slug eating cucumber...
    {{gwi:1095505}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Hey, Don, looks like you have the makings for a blockbuster scary movie-or a great stew-LOL.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Yowza,I have never,ever,seen any slug,that big, and i hope i never do,how would you even dispose of one that big,not between your fingers,thats for sure,Yuk!

Hey, i just tryed a frozen Lemon pie,and the pan is aluminum,Imagonna keep it,I'll try it next year.
    cAROL

• sidney1515
    14 years ago

I save foil pans to hang around my isolation garden to scare off the deer. . that is, till they got use to them. Guess I'll give this cucumber stuff a try next year with the pans I have left over.

Don, I think you came across the perfect diet. .put those pictures on refrig, cupboards, etc. . .should deter snacking, over eating. . .heck, you might even have a new purging system going. . .lol
    Sidney, shuddering

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Euweeeeeeeeeeeeee,walking away with Sidney,
    cAROL

• yardmom
    14 years ago

Ahhhh... wasn't that last picture a slug eating a cucumber??? Kind of blows that theory!

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, I think you're right, Dorothy, and it MUST be the chemical reaction of cucumber served
    up on the pie tin that makes it, something to avoid in their diet!!

Still--that IS an ironic pic., considering the topic! LOL