Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

Moving Hostas Now

ejr2005
10 years ago

I'm rearranging my gardens and am thinking of moving a few hostas now. I usually plant/move earlier in the fall, but have been busy with other things.

We've have warmer than usual weather - no freezes yet. But it's turning colder and with night temps going into the 30's.

What do you think?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how big

does your ground freeze ..

do you plan on dividing

should you worry about heave??

ken

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katie Q is pretty big - maybe 2 1/2 -3' wide. Cascades is small - about a year and a half old. Maybe a couple of others that would be in between.

I guess our ground will eventually freeze - but I've planted things well into December and the ground wasn't frozen. I guess it could depend on snow cover which is very variable here.

I'm not dividing.

I guess I should worry about heave, but I haven't found it with any of my normal sized hostas. I have on occasion found it with minis that are planted in old steps that have become "planters." I'm thinking that they are more exposed to freeze/thaw cycles than the ground. Also they are my "nursery" for younger/smaller plants, and the soil isn't that deep. I keep an eye on them, especially in the spring and some have come out of the ground a bit. I have just planted them back in the ground or covered more of their roots with soil and they've been fine. The hostas I want to move will not go into those "planters."

I should add that we have lots of oak leaves and are planning to shred them and cover the beds, especially those with newer plantings. I also just bought a hay bale that I was going to use on some areas like the fall planted daylily beds. I could get more for the hostas.

10 years ago

big plant.. big wad of soil ... do it.. forget about it ...

tiny plant.. no soil attached.. heave is an issue ...

but dont worry about cascades... it will eventually die regardless.. lol .. no better than GE or remember me ... etc ...

yeah.. yeah.. someone will pop in with a pic of the only successful one in the universe.. just to mock me ... go for it ...

hosta are no different than any other perennial.. if not more bulletproof.. do what you usually do ...

ken

• ejr2005
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken. They're moving this weekend.

Didn't know that Cascades would be like GE. I had GE in my step pot for 3 years. Moved it to the ground last year. It seemed very happy and gained a lot of size. Then I moved it to a real pot because it was a little too close to the new foliar nem hosta. It died over the winter. Sad.

10 years ago

had about 18 GE... never got one to live 3 years ...

what are you sad about??? .. get over it.. its a piece of carp ...

lol

ken

ps: no pity parties over lost GE .... more of a welcome to my world party ....

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    10 years ago

GE: GReat Expectations? I suppose the name could lead to excessive optimism.

• User
    10 years ago

That's a party I won't be attending ever, since I don't plan on moving to Michigan......upper OR lower......and that's the only place I'm told that they prosper.

Like with potato chips, with GE you cannot stop with one. Get back on the wagon and try again.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

GE is popular, BIG TIME, and for MANY good reasons.

QUIT moving the classic goyl, QUIT dissing one of the TOP 10 BEAUTIFUL HOSTA OF ALL TIME, PLS.

Yeah, after over 850 cultivars, we've had > 100 failures.

With the possible exception of 'Embroidery', the interestingly, widely as regards growing zones, Genus Hosta, is probably the safest bet in the world of temperate-zone perennials.

Phew, rant attack relief off, ahhhhh

hh