Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudy_gw

Hosta Seed Growers Seed Auction for BADITC

trudy_gw
10 years ago

News from Hosta Seed Growers forum!

2013 HSG Seed Auction for 'Building a Dream in the Country'

Hosta Seed Growers will hold a Seed Auction again this year. Bob Axmear has agreed to hold the auction on the Hosta Library. Reldon Ramsey will host the auction again.

The auction will be held from Saturday, November 30th to Saturday, December 7th. All proceeds raised by the auction will go to Building A Dream In The Country.

Send all information about seed donations to Reldon at renaldo75@hotmail.com. Please include as much information about the parent plants as you can, especially if they are from your hybridizing program. Include labeled photos if you have them available.

Currently, BADITC has raised $140,200 of the $200,000 needed. An interest free loan has been received so that the goal of $150,000 has been met and building can begin. Many in-kind donations have come in since the announcement was made. The hope is that the Spece family can be in their new home before Christmas.

Let's help make this happen for Josh and his family!!

Hosta Seed Growers will hold a Seed Auction again this year. Bob Axmear has agreed to hold the auction on the Hosta Library. Reldon Ramsey will host the auction again.

The auction will be held from Saturday, November 30th to Saturday, December 7th. All proceeds raised by the auction will go to Building A Dream In The Country.

Send all information about seed donations to Reldon at renaldo75@hotmail.com. Please include as much information about the parent plants as you can, especially if they are from your hybridizing program. Include labeled photos if you have them available.

Currently, BADITC has raised $140,200 of the $200,000 needed. An interest free loan has been received so that the goal of $150,000 has been met and building can begin. Many in-kind donations have come in since the announcement was made. The hope is that the Spece family can be in their new home before Christmas.

Let's help make this happen for Josh and his family!!

Any questions, contact Rod K, Matt Bendig, Reldon Ramsey, Bruce Van Wyk or Trudy Van Wyk from the Hosta Seed Growers Board

To check progress of 'Building a Dream in the Country' check their Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingaDreamintheCountry

Comments (31)

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will bump this post up when the time is nearer to the auction.

• User
    10 years ago

Lovely cross there, Trudy.

Please remind me...I'm setting the checkmark in the box to get replies to this thread. So on the night before, could you please post an update?

It's for a good cause.

• User
    10 years ago

Bump bump

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Begins 6:30 tonight!
    The auction is for a great cause. Check out the BADITC Facebook page. Digging begins Monday.
    Happy for Josh and his family!!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/BuildingaDreamintheCountry

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: BADITC Facebook page

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Link to the HSG's Seed Auction for BADITC

Here is a link that might be useful: HSG's Seed Auction

• User
    10 years ago

Trudy, why is it the Hosta Library does not show a link to this particular auction? I will have to make a Bookmark so I can get to it easily without coming first to GWeb Hosta Forum.

Some really nice hosta seeds being offered.

I'm trying to stay away from the blues, going for the ones which might have low dormancy requirements. It is so good when they put the family tree up with the seed offerings. Of course with Open Pollination you play roulette with half the tree.

I'll let it simmer on the back burner for a couple of days and then come back after I see what the known hybridizers are seeking to acquire.

One that really really appeals to me is the cross of Dancing Queen x Celtic Dancer.....I think one of SteveMass crosses.

Good luck to all. Have fun.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I book marked it too. I'll be checking regularly. I like to see the different offerings, something for everyone.

Happy shopping every one.
    Beverly

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My Hosta Library site always showed a large link right in the middle especially for this auction. The usual auction site is in parallel. Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Berndny, have you looked lately? I have no parallel link anywhere on the page. Reckon I am being CENSORED?
    :)

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, like the year I thought I was really on First Look or AHS Auction, and was on the more commercial HLAuction....

O-I-C Duhhhhh.....well, I tried it twice and still nothing, except using Trudy's link.

Good luck bidding on the 40 or so items of seeds offered.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

No, I get the message where before the Panda Cam was on the Hosta Library website, all in that black field with large white letters. You might have a problem with your browser. I had Firefox for many years until it recently malfunctioned for me completely, could not even reload it, now I use Google Chrome. Bernd

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Sure enough, when I tried Safari instead of Firefox, I got the link. Huh,
    Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

hMMM, I'm still using Firefox, but now it shows up. I dumped the temp files and did a computer tuneup, so that might affect it as well.

Berndny, do you like Chrome? It's on a lot of Android devices now.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Continental Divide' x OP sounds interesting, as do SO many others! What a lot of great potential in these seeds at auction...

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Moccasin, I was devoted to Firefox, but then I got into all that trouble not able to see things, and there was no help available.The worst thing was a new Firefox download with Yahoo. My 10 year old grandson uses Chrome LOL, so I tried it, and within a few minutes I was set up, I like it, everything is like it was in the good days with Firefox, somewhat easier and simpler. I could copy my Bookmarks easy.

Don, yes, great seeds are there at the auction with good prices. So I thought I was all set up with my 2 trays of seedlings now growing, but most of the genes offered are interesting. I might have to start another tray, another lamp, another shelf.... I like to grow a large blue streaker, would be great to have in the landscape. I have my own crosses in that respect, but only with h.'Blue Lightning' and 'Fickle Blue Genes', other seedlings did not bloom yet this year.

I see Moccasin bidding. Don, it is so easy to grow from seeds, and you have something great to do over winter.
    Bernd

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a now a link to the HSG's Seed Auction on the Hosta Library.

Just a little glitch in the road with the banner. We apologize for the problems this may have caused.

Lot of exciting seeds on the auction. Keep checking in for new items coming in!

Thanks for all the donation for the BADITC house.

Ground breaking was this morning at 8:30! Now this is very exciting news......................

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

In case you were wondering about the "Building A Dream in the Country" charity to which the proceeds of this Auction will go. Below is a link to a video that gives some information. It's pretty amazing that Hosta folks have been a major part of the fund raising efforts. It's worth your attention.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: BADITC groundbreaking

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

I'm eleven auctions deep. Wonder how many I will actually get ?

That division of H. 'Dover Downs' from Rick Goodenough's garden is tempting. I see Steve took to the bait, but was chomped by a much larger fish. Mocc is swimming around in here as well. Anyone else out there ?

It all comes down to the 7th, I suppose. Hopefully I can stay awake long enough to get that last bid in. :p

Good Luck to all on your bids and a Thank You to those that made it happen.

Ludi

• User
    10 years ago

Yep, Ludi, I know what you are saying. I feel like a minnow in the midst of whales feeding on krill. But so exciting.....
    ....and all for a very good cause.

Glad to see you hanging in there, Ludi. Probably the smart ones will show up an hour before the auction closes and make their moves quick and without anyone knowing of their interest beforehand. If I could just hold my fire until I see the whites of the eyes, and not tip my interest......but, once more, into the fray. Have fun!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

They seem to call people 'Pirates' (or so) who wait until the last seconds to make a bid. Then you would know, if you can afford it and will be more certain to get it. There must be quite few people waiting it out.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Still, there are so many to choose from. One could get some nice seeds without taking out a mortgage. The money goes to a good cause and you get some nice seeds, win, win. I have a dilemma though. I don't have enough space to raise all the seeds I'd like to buy.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with Bev, I don't have room for the seeds I wished to win in the auction....however, I won three offerings and that should be enough for now.

Two were offerings by SteveMass, and then the Radar Love OP seeds for a third win. It was a lot of fun bidding.

Maybe next year I'll know enough about the viability of seeds from my fragrant hosta to offer their seeds in a benefit auction. First, I have to learn how to clean them properly, and also to make sure they are free of virus and nematodes.

Streakers seem to be very popular these days. So are blues. I am avoiding the blues as much as I can, since they are not optimum for my climate. But they can be so hard to resist. Hello greens and golds though. :)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Congratulations Mocc. I won two as well:

'Glorious Grace' x OP - #1 from Ramsey and 'HH' x 'Ebb Tide' from Goodenough. I couldn't stay home and watch the auction so I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and discovered I won both. I did have to outbid a couple of people to get them and it can be fun.

Beverly

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners, and to those who were helping out with bids.

Saw Ludi bidding away a few times......was fun watching.
    There were so many items, I cant remember who won what!

I dont have to room to grow all the seeds that were harvested in our gardens this year. Was happy Reldon offered to help clean a few and put them on the auction!

Happy also to be able to donate seeds for the BADITC Seed Auction. Cant wait to see the Speces in their new home!

Happy Seed Growing....it's a fun winter hobby!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Indeed Trudy ! I was, as some would say, aggressive in my approach. :)

I was especially interested in your Hosanna and Bee Glorified. Steve had alerted me to their origin since he wanted to make some Fascination x Elegans crosses this year. Unfortunately he did not have any Elegans pollen. A shame really since I could send him pounds between the three of mine. :p

In any event, I had a BLAST !!! It was so exhilarating to sit there like a rabid animal, constantly clicking refresh and throwing my âÂÂbudgetâ to the wind.

Since IâÂÂm still starting out, I have a lot of capacity, figuratively speaking. My âÂÂprogramâ has only birds-eye-view goals. But with all the seeds I managed to win IâÂÂll definitely have a nice array on which to draw from for my breeding stock. From there . . . genes are the limit. :)

Thank you again to everyone who made this happen, and a big Gratz! to Josh and his family on the groundbreaking !!!

Cheers,
    Ludi

These were the auctions I won. I sat at my computer for almost 5 hours to watch them all . . . . . . . obsess much ?!?

::giggles::

CBCT 1 - âÂÂIce Age Trailâ x OP - 50 seeds

CBCT 7 - 'Sea Tornadoâ x OP - 20 seeds

Huseman 3 - âÂÂRosedale Shady Ladyâ x âÂÂKrugerrandâ - 25 seeds

Goodenough 1 - âÂÂUberVirgoâ x Mr. Blueâ - 15 seeds

CBCT 9 - âÂÂDark Forestâ Streaked x OP - 50 seeds

Bendig 4 - âÂÂBlue Lightningâ x OP - 25+ seeds

Shaw 5 - (Epson Derby x OP) x QOTS - 25 seeds

TVW 21 - âÂÂMcWilliams #2â x QOTS - 20 seeds
    - âÂÂMcWilliams #2â x OP - 25+ seeds

Ramsey 11 - âÂÂGlorious Dayâ x OP - 50 seeds

TVW 23 - âÂÂHosannaâ Collection - #4
    - âÂÂHosannaâ x âÂÂQueen of the Seasâ - 20 seeds
    - âÂÂHosannaâ x OP - 25 seeds

Ramsey 12 - âÂÂGlorious Graceâ x OP - 50 seeds

Port 8 - (First Meeting x Pink Flamingo) x OP - 25 seeds

Shaw 6 - âÂÂFoxfire Chinese Dragonâ x OP 136 (aka âÂÂFFCDOP136âÂÂ) x self - 25 seeds

TVW 26 - Prairie Meadows x OP - 20 seeds
    - Joy, Unspeakable Joy x OP - 15 seeds

Kuenster 4 - âÂÂMominatorâ x OP - 25 seeds

Milt 3 - (My Friend Mary x Blue Angel) x QOTS - 30 seeds

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Wow Ludi, you'll be busy this winter. I think you might have to buy some more lights. On the other hand, in your climate you could probably start some outdoors. Congratulations.

Thank you all that offered up seeds to sell also. The vast number of choices made it a lot of fun and I am glad my seed money is going to such a good cause.

Beverly

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 19:31

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Wow, Ludi, you will be busy!
    I also got 3 sets of seeds from Trudy, TVW-1, TVW-9 and TVW-16 at the auction. A total of 80 seeds I will be getting, need to plant them then and think about where to plant the plants outside in coming summer and fall. Now I got some additional genes in addition to the streaker seeds I got from Trudy and Mr. Hosta of LotG 2 years ago and those from Dan a few weeks ago. So I have right now 2 trays with streaker seedlings under light, need to get another tray and another light, will be great gardening this winter in my basement!
    Bernd

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words.
    Our gardens were very blessed with many hostas with tons of blooms this year. We have neighbors down the road with ~Bees~ to help with pollenating!

I am so thankful Reldon took the time to clean the OP seeds which we were unable to grow. One can only grow so many seeds in a small space.

Thanks to all the donators and bidders who made the auction a huge success for the BADITC seed auction! The Hosta Seed Growers group is a sharing and caring group of people!
    Come on over to the forum we would love to have you.

Thanks to Steve for giving Ludi the heads up too! Ludi you are going to have some awesome genes to work with!

Looking forward to seeing photos of hosta seedlings this winter!

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Results from HSG's Seed Auction for BADITC

http://hostalibrary.org/cgi-bin/buildingadreaminthecountry.pl?category=josh_hostas

Here is a link that might be useful: Results

• Josh Spece
    10 years ago

I want to thank everyone who was involved in this...coordinating, donating, bidding...you are all amazingly generous! My family and I could not ask for better friends.

Congrats to all who won...we'll be waiting to see baby pictures! :)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey hey, Josh, it was a win/win for all of us. We get to indulge our fancy for hosta while feeling GOOD about it benefiting such a great family. And right here at the holidays too.