Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchgreener

I found this Brim Cup Sport!!!

Dutchgreener
9 years ago

Hello everybody!

I'm new here and I am living in the Netherlands.
(English is not my native language so be gentle :)
I got the Hosta virus from my parents and got a lot of them in my garden.

Today I found this H. Brim Cup at the local nursery and I saw this sport on it.
Does anybody know of this is a known sport?

Trying to upload pics!

Best regards,

Dutchgreener

Comments (14)

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could somebody confirm that three are pics? :)

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope this works....

Best time to separate them?
    Wait till next year?

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Babka!

The sport is beside the Brim Cup and not on it if that make sense.
    See the picture.

In the Netherlands we use the phrase hooked with the virus if. You got something with plants.
    Not HVX :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I guess I don't know what parts you are referring to as a sport. The things I see in your photos are not unusual.

If you are referring to the pattern on the leaves, it is not unusual. If you are referring to the color, then that is very normal for Brim Cup, the light green margins will turn white over time. If your are referring to the shorter thicker leaves, then yes, that happens sometimes...not sure why but possibly culture related (weather, soil, etc).

Anyway, see what comes up next year (take notes so you won't forget).

-Babka

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Babka!

What I mean is that the leaves that are different are not on the same plant as the Brim Cup.
    Its a whole other Hosta beside the BC.
    Thats why I think its a sport.

(Its really difficult to explain something in another language :(

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Unlike Babka, it looks like a sport to me (it is a separate eye from the parent plant, not leaves of the same eye). Sometimes they don't come back looking the same way, even though they are a separate eye.

One of the Patriarchs of US hostadom (Van Wade) removes all but the sport from the plant with the idea that it will put all the energy into the sport. (Brim Cup is a lousy hosta, anyway.) So, that's an idea. I'm not sure I could do such delicate surgery, but maybe you can.

If you want to know about sports, check out www.myhostas.be. Hugo Phillips hosts and maintains that website for us hosta nuts. Just click on the my hostas sports and it will take you to a list of most all hostas that have sports. Just click on Brim Cup and it will list all the sports.

Then, go to www.hostalibrary.org, where you will find photos of most registered and many unregistered hosta to see if the sports of Brim Cup look like yours.

If it works out, it looks like a nice hosta.

Welcome to the hosta forum, by the way.

Good luck.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Dutch, I totally understand what you say and how you say it...maybe because I'm of European descent, lol. ;-)

Congrats on your find! It sure looks different from Brim Cup but wait as Babka suggests to see if it appears the same next spring. I've had a few sports but waited at least a year or two before separating the sport.

I really hope yours IS a sport because it looks very interesting! Fingers crossed!

Jo

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay2000,

Thanks for the tips and info.
    Delicate surgery, hmmm don't like Brim Cup that much and bought it only for the sport so maybe thats an idea!

Followed the links and there are two known sports from BC:
    Java and Coffee Break.

They aren't even close to what I have :)

@Josephines67

Thx, fingers crossed indeed!

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Your sport probably will not survive if you divide it off the original plant because it doesn't have enough green in the leaves. Hostas with that much white are usually too weak to grow on their own. My recommendation would be to enjoy it like it is.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Don usually knows what he's talking about. He's one of our go to guys who grows great hosta.

I'm the eternal optimist. Hopefully, it's yellow, not white. That's how I saw it.

Don's right. If it's white, that much is not likely to do well.

We'll wait and see what you get next year.

bk

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

If it were me I'd perform the delicate operation in the spring so that I could fuss over the sport all summer and give it lots of extra care to give it a fighting chance...but I like the "science experiment" part of gardening almost as much as the creativity aspect...

Good luck with that beauty & welcome to the forum!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I presently do the Van Wade procedure on a sport. My 'Fickle Blue Genes' single-eye plant this year had a small sport which has a bright yellow center. So I removed half the leaves of the mother plant. Van Wade does it in stages. I probably do it again the same next year, and 2 years from now remove the sport.

See the attached photo, the sport gets nourished by the dark leaves of the mother plant. To get the mother to concentrate on helping the little plant I removed half of the large green leaves, but did not separate it yet.

In respect to very large leaves on smaller leaves plants, I once bought several plants which had much larger leaves for the second flush in July. They perhaps got more water and fertilizer then.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 9:19

• Dutchgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for al the tips!

I think it's best just what everybody said for the plant to do some "surgery" in spring so i'll have to wait.
    In the meantime I got my hands full of seedlings this winter :)