Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
last 'men' standing

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 11:31

We've had a few frosty mornings, and we're just on the fringe of predicted effects from hurricane Sandy in the next few days, so today's photos are probably recording the very last hosta sightings in 2012. Here, on October 28,
the last remnants.....
Jan

H.'High Society'

H. 'High Society' Oct. 28

H. 'Canadian Blue'

H. 'Canadian Blue' Oct. 28

H. 'Sum and Substance'

H, 'Sum and Substance' Oct.28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: last 'men' standing

look like a bunch of girls to me..

ken

o

Seems strange that the hurricane prep is going on so much further north this time, and feels different to be simply standing around with no battening down the hatches for us. But our home in MA is ready even with only half a roof replaced so far, and the street dug up for connecting to the water line. The only hosta remaining there are the U. albomarginatas which have endured for 40 some odd years, and are still standing in protected areas.

Good strong plants, and good strong people endure.
If Jan is right, lean over and kiss your hosta goodbye....for this season.

Good luck everyone in harm's way.

o

Amazing!! My hostas are already flat to the ground,and low thiries are forecast for next week. It's raining today and miserable,but there no hostas growing,so who cares? Good pics,for this time of year! Phil

o

how close are you to lake erie or ontario???

ken

o

Wow! Mine have been gone 3 weeks already.

o

ken - London is on that point of land that sticks down between lakes Huron and Erie, about 40 miles from each, so not close enough to Erie to enjoy a moderating effect, but close enough to Huron to get a lot of lake effect snow.
We're in Canadian zone 6b - haven't figured out how that translates to the USDA zones.
Jan

o

Last plant standing.......'Francee'! This was 4 days ago...'Paul's Glory' was second-to-last.

o

October 24th, Paul's last day of the season; Very unusual light early that morning, the plant almost seemed to fluoresce...

o

Here are two June hosta. (I didn't really have any place to put them last year, but that didn't stop me from buying them.) I took this photo yesterday just before the storm. I can't believe how tough June is. I also love the Japanese Maple and wait every year to see the beautiful color. I was afraid that the storm would remove its leaves prematurely. It didn't.

Photobucket

o

This one, to which I have given the garden name Stetson Meadows, refuses to quit, even though its brethren have. This pic was taken today after the hurricane. It's got very good substance, so maybe that's why.

Stetson Meadows fall

Steve

o

Still lots holding on and we have only had a couple close frosty nights but June family, el nino and Emerald Crown are still looking kind of okay

o

These were taken on October 30, 2012:

H. Goodness Gracious

GOODNESS GRACIOUS OCT

H. Days End

DAYS END OCT

H. Samuel Blue

SAMUEL BLUE OCT

H. Ghost Spirit with Friends

GHOST SPIRIT AND FRIENDS OCT

H. Forest Shadows

Photobucket

o

Almost everything has disappeared here, although a few are hanging in there despite several freezes and Fall firmly taking hold.

Photobucket

Island Charm is struggling.

Photobucket

Surpising to me a few Fragrant Bouquet don't seem ready to call it quits.

Photobucket

...and a few seem to think it is still 'June'

Jon

o

So nice to see some of the fern and Brunnera still are bright in color too

o

ahh.. the stratford festival.. and all that ...

ken

o
RE: last" LADY"' standing

And the final curtain call for June as of November 3rd . She is finally coming to an end of her rein for this year. I will miss you so.. sleep beauty sleep

o

Have a couple to show here. Still looking good a few days ago. Date should be on the photo.

Blue Cadet
Hosta12Nov074

Unforgettable....one which I really really like, a very strong heavy substanced plant. I have it beside Paradigm and Princess Anastasia and they look pretty good too.
Hosta12Nov044

And I'll close the group out with one which is an outstanding favorite, Halcyon.

o

Found one fine lady still standing on Wednesday.
H. June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here