Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shade_tolerant

It's Oct.20th, Are Your Hostas Still Up?

shade_tolerant
16 years ago

Just wondering how the hosta season is going in various areas. Mine are still going strong for the most part, no color changes yet. We were fortunate enough to have a really good rain last night, much needed.

How is it going where you live?

Comments (24)

• tepelus
    16 years ago

Mine are still up, but some are starting to yellow. I'm liking this warm weather, but we need more rain.

• phil
    16 years ago

Mine are still doing great. Only 3 out of 120 look bad. Of course they get lots of pampering. LOL
    phil

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

Hi All; Having an extended growing season here, hostas are still going strong. We also got a much needed rain here . I am very pleased how nice all my plants did this year w/ the exception of Pizazz, got it In June & it did absolutely nothing, looked as if it was frozen in time. After reading posts here I see , its one of the harder ones to grow. Time will tell, its the only ugly I have so far. Waiting on leaves now so I can get them mulched for the winter. Also since I am a hostaholic I already have 12 seedlings started on my kitchen window sill. Can't be hostaless now can I?
    ~Dot

• jbranch
    16 years ago

Mine are starting to yellow. Our temps have been around 80-85 this week, but we have had virtually no rain in a month, so I think the drought is helping them fade...

• jspece
    16 years ago

Some are up, some down. All but a very few look like fall. We've been very wet the last 2 week and keep bouncing from warm to cool. We had 1 very light frost in mid Sept...about 3 weeks early. Nothing since. Usually the Hostas are gone by now.

• jel48
    16 years ago

I moved about 40 of them and most of mine are still up, many are turning color, but a few are still looking great! Guess they think it's summer yet.... like the tomatoes and my tropical hibiscus do.....

Funny isn't it? Either they don't know it's late October or they don't know they're in Minnesota!

• Janice
    16 years ago

95% of mine are still looking great! We just had some rain yesterday and day before so they are very happy!
    I planted 20 of mine that were still in pots 3 days ago, so I'm very thankful for the timing of the rain!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    16 years ago

Different story for me here on the left coast. The majority of my Hostas are well into senescense, the only ones to still look half decent are June and So Sweet, but most everything else is mostly yellow.

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

Mine have been gradually turning over this month. Most are down now though we haven't had frost yet and begonias, dahlias etc. are still blooming. I took this shot yesterday. I love the orange/light green coloring and am thinking if there was a hosta of this color during the regular season, what a special one it would be.

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

Like most of you,I have some up,but a lot are turning yellow,because of the drought. Fried Bananas still looks the best,not at all like it's name would imply,it isn't "fried" yet! Phil

• hostarox
    16 years ago

Hostas are going down big time here. A few look good still, El Nino and Touch of Class. Eric Smith had a very good plan in mind.......too bad He didn't get to see his crosses in the Tardiana grex sport!! Wonderful plants.

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

In drought-plagued Northern Virginia, not only are several of mine still up and looking good, 'Golden Tiara,' which is half-way dried up and ratty, just sent up a bloom scape and is about to blossom.

• yardmom
    16 years ago

Pictures please, Shade! I would love to see your garden!

• arcy_gw
    16 years ago

Mine sure are. They are loving all this rain after our horrid dry summer. I have noticed other's hosta getting this beautiful yellow color. I have not noticed that before.

• papou
    16 years ago

One week ago, my yard was in mode Yellow...the maples...almost all the hostas...and most were erect. There was this feeling of lightness...very nice.
    However since yesterday I started to cut the hosta leaves and in the process, I met some still vigorous like Blue Jay, First Frost, El Nino, Canadian Blue, Halcyon, ©anadian Shield, Blue Vision, Paul's Glory, I'm So Blue. June, Touch of Class, Grand Marquee.
    In my zone 5 where I live, the last month has been the warmest weather ever recorded in Canada. Yesterday for example it was 22 deg.Celcius (76 deg.F)...just great weather.

Papou

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    16 years ago

Way up here in the Northeast, most plants are usually long gone by now. But in my turn around the garden yesterday, when it was 27 C (80 F.), I found the following all looking green and vigorous: June (what an amazing hosta!), Halcyon, Queen Josephine, and El Nino. Everything else has finally gone yellow.

• imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    16 years ago

Its Tuesday now and mine are still going strong, The odd yellowish leaf here and there, but I was out checking yesterday and only one (Nakai) had gone to sleep!!! The rain today and tomorrow should be wonderful for them nice and soft and gentle.

• kingfats
    16 years ago

Hi
    No Hosta's left standing i'm afraid!
    All chopped down to ground level now.Had a week of frosts last week and that was there lot.
    Roll on next Spring.

• soccamutha
    16 years ago

Also in the NoVa drought zone...most everything is looking ratty...exceptions are the bed that gets the most sun (fragrants plus Liberty), Savannah, Fire Island, June, Blue Crinkles and Touch of Class. June and Liberty look totally unscathed.

We've had a good amount of beneficial rain the last few days, thankfully.

Becky

• loisflan
    16 years ago

Lakeside Shore Master, First Frost, Halcyon, Aristocrat, Ice Age Trail, Captain Kirk, Blue Giant, Paul's Glory, Love Pat, Blue Angel... still look like the middle of summer. Golden Tiara is totalling gone; the rest are in various depressing stages of decrepancy. We still haven't had a frost here in Minneapolis. Very late for our area. Lots of nights in upper 30s, low 40s though.

• jbranch
    16 years ago

Mine are still up, but just starting to fade. We had rain over the past three days. This is the most rain we have had in Alabama since probably the spring. Hostas are very happy. The attached picture is of Great Expectation, a Undulata that I just divided, and a Patriot that was getting sun burned earlier in the summer. They have not looked this good in a long time...

{{gwi:1095852}}

• jel48
    16 years ago

Some are still up, but they're predicting 27 degrees F. by 6 am...... I'd be surprised if any are still standing by tomorrow night. Still, it's been a great season and they are ready go to sleep....... I guess........

• dee4nebraska
    16 years ago

We have been nipped by frost the last two nights but the only things totally gone are annuals..marigolds, impatiens and morning glory vine. Others such as petunias and alyssum look great. My outstanding hosta "So Sweet" is just that..so sweet yet today Oct.28th. Also looking good is Halcyon, Guacamole and Fragrant Bouquet. Most everything else is on the downhill slide. But June was my all around beauty until this last week.

• papou
    16 years ago

Torchlight, Blue Jay, Blue Vision, Canadian Shield, Canadian Blue and Halcyon are still up today October 30.