Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eterprincess

thinking of planting hostas

eterprincess
9 years ago

I have an oak tree that I am looking to put some plants around, and may be planting a second shade tree soon. I am thinking of Hosta's because of the shade tolerance, but not sure where to start.

What are some good "beginner" (if there is such a thing) Hostas?

Comments (10)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Welcome eterprincess!

Have you taken a look at the Hosta of the Year winners? This is generally considered a great place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hostagrowers.org/Hosta_of_the_Year.html

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Eterprincess! Great suggestion from ConnieMay!

First hosta that popped in my head was 'June' because you simply MUST have one! She is not fussy about sun exposure and offers you many facets of colour, wherever you site her. Gorgeous hosta.

There are terrific sales at this time of year. I just picked two more up myself. :-)

Happy shopping!

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its pretty simple ...

buy plant.. dig hole.. insert .. and stand back ...

try to drown them ... based on soil .. they are heavy water users ...

then ... try not to spend all the milk money on buying every one you see.. lol ... if you hang here much.. you will be fully enabled ....

you have hit a bunch of forums.. can you go to your members page.. and add a big city to where it say Z6 ... its a rather large.. .diverse area... a little more specificity will really help with advice offered ...

BTW .. most of us mail order the plants.. not relying on local offerings.. and RARELY buying at bigboxstore ...

good luck

ken

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is that better?

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Starter hostas? I would have to say whatever strikes you as you walk in. Unfortunately for me i walked in several times times this summer and ended up starting with about 100 varieties. There are so many beautiful hostas to choose from.

But yes avoid the big box stores if you want something that will get you oohs and ahhs.

I haven't yet ordered hostas online as i have yet to exhaust my local nurseries availability but I do have a driveway on which to splay them out unceremoniously upon when that time comes.

The good news is that this room does an alphabet in december wherein i understand members submit their photos of their own treasures and I for one am looking forward to it as there are many hostaholics here with a lot to be proud of IMHO. You got a whole winter to decide, hopefully that will be enough time hehe.

I'll be looking back here for others suggestions to see what i might have have missed. Love my "June".

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Your majesty,

I think you should look at where you will plant the hosta first. A lot of room, then go big. Shade, go dark as deep colors do best in deep shade. Half day of sun, almost anything goes. Full Sun stick with light green, chartreuse, wider margins.

Connie Mae had some good advice by suggesting the hosta growers hosta of the year. The AHS lists these:

AHS Hosta Ratings

#1 - June

#2 - Sagae

#3 - Liberty

#4 - Guacamole

#5 - Blue Angel

#6 - Striptease

#7 - Paul's Glory

#8 - Stained Glass

#9 - Gold Standard

#10 - Halcyon

#11 - Sum and Substance

#12 - montana Aureomarginata

#13 - Paradigm

#14 - Orange Marmalade

#15 - Regal Splendor

#16 - Whirlwind

#17 - Spilt Milk

#18 - Abiqua Drinking Gourd

#19 - Guardian Angel

#20 - Patriot

#21 - On Stage

#22 - Niagara Falls

#23 - Great Expectations

#24 - Praying Hands

#25 - First Frost
    AHS Mini Hosta Ratings

#1 - Pandora's Box

#2 - Blue Mouse Ears

#3 - Baby Bunting

#4 - Tiny Tears

#5 - Popo

#6 - venusta

#7 - Cracker Crumbs

#8 - Lemon Lime

#9 - Cookie Crumbs

#10 - Twist of Lime

Honorable Mentions
    ⢠Cameo
    â¢Country Mouse
    AHGA Hosta of the Year

2015 - Victory

2014 - Abiqua Drinking Gourd

2013 - Rainforest Sunrise

2012 - Liberty

2011 - Praying Hands

2010 - First Frost

2009 - Earth Angel

2008 - Blue Mouse Ears

2007 - Paradigm

2006 - Stained Glass

2005 - Striptease

2004 - Sum and Substance

2003 - Regal Splendor

2002 - Guacamole

2001 - June

2000 - Sagae

1999 - Paul's Glory

1998 - Fragrant Bouquet

1997 - Patriot

1996 - So Sweet

Pick the hosta that fit your light situation. Pick the size that fits, the full grown size. Decide if you like 'wave planting' where hosta grow into each other or individual specimen planting. Bright borders, bold borders with Liberty (for example). Grouping similar colors, a Kaliope of colors, making each plant a centerpiece or swaths of the same hosta. Pick what you like, and if you have questions you can certainly get a lot of good advice on this forum and no shortage of opinions.

Such as the above.

Welcome,
    Jon

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I like to say the list of the AHS ratings is wonderful choices for plants and have all but Spilt Milk and Guardian Angel ( I do have Blue Angel) What a wonderful start Jon and so soon we will have her hooked like the rest of us on the hosta forum.
    Welcome to a wonderful world of growing

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

On the lists above from the AHS the hosta I have which are bullet proof, for me, in 6a are:

#1 - June

#2 - Sagae

#3 - Liberty

#5 - Blue Angel

#6 - Striptease

#7 - Paul's Glory

#11 - Sum and Substance

#12 - montana Aureomarginata

#15 - Regal Splendor

#16 - Whirlwind

#18 - Abiqua Drinking Gourd

#19 - Guardian Angel

#20 - Patriot Which I consider interchangeable with Minuteman. I have 20 or so Minutemen and 5 or so Patriots in various locations and where they are makes the difference not the hosta itself.

#23 - Great Expectations ***** Very touchy for a great many, but super for me and a gorgeous hosta. Going on 4 years with 2.

#25 - First Frost

The only fragrant I have good luck with is Fragrant Bouquet. All the others are rabbit salad in my yard anyway.

Similar zones to you princess, so I thought this might help your decision. You will notice I skipped the minis. I do have Blue Mouse Ears (don't let it get around) I find them inconsequential, needy and very easy to step on........but, that's me. You may adore them, there's no accounting for taste.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 6:24

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Anything Lakeside. Esp Shore Master.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

mail order better ... ????

two issues ....

virus issues ... and buying from a professional who knows what it is.. and will not send/sell plants that are ... its really a bigboxstore issue... for the most part ...

second ... most of the peeps here .. do not have local hosta nurseries .... its a function of your compulsion and what they stock .. and how soon.. you buy everything they have.. and need another 'fix' .. many of the peeps here .. collect like hosta are heroin .... and quickly need MORE .. lol ... and that is when they go the mail route ... its like xmas to get a box full of hosta.. lol ...

soooo .... if you have a local nursery.. go for it ... if not.. i offered an alternative ...

i highly recommend.. if you have a local nursery.. to spend money with them... as most.. are slowly disappearing ... and there is no better place to go.. when you need to get out of the house.. and spend some ME time ... but if they all disappear ... what will a gardener do???

ken

ps: read getting out of the house.. as turning off the freakin technology ....