Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Sales at end of season

My daughter wanted to look around the nursery today for some shrubs and trees ... There is the usual sale at this time of year where you can save 60% on just about every perennial and selective shrubs and trees.

Like a magnet, I honed in on the hostas. Picked up 'Rosedale Golden Goose' and 'Hanky Panky'. I should go back and pick up Virginia Reel which I put down. I liked the "pinwheel" reference to its growth habit and saw evidence of that in one particular one.

Trouble is...I really do not have room for any more. :-(.

Thought you might like to see my new additions. Would love to see yours!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 12:46

Comments (40)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hanky Panky...still has lovely markings.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

You'll love Hanky Panky in future years. It changes it's coloring from spring to summer,with reverse variegation. Phil

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Very nice plants and 60% seems like a great discount...I am still seeing 40-50% in the Toronto area...

I also have no room, but if I did I would definitely buy now... I have experienced a really good survival rate with fall hosta purchases - I have only ever lost one and it was guaranteed for one year so I was able to get a replacement for it in the spring.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's exciting to know, Phil! Thanks! I'm looking forward to your pics next year :-)

ConnieMay, if I wait for 70% off! there may not be many to choose from???I'm sitting here debating with myself, lol.

I really want to go back...maybe tomorrow... Pauline Banyai's Gold Standard was also there, Fragrant Blue, Regal Splendor...sigh...maybe GS and VR only!

Unlike our border-buddies, our prices seem so high, even with 60% off and no warranty either. Huge nursery, lovely stock but exorbitant pricing. I did save almost $26 though.

Oh well, there goes another 20$ tomorrow, lol. My debate with myself ended - I might just post again tomorrow!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Wow those are beautiful josephine! I picked up 8 hostas at home depot yesterday. All their perennials for 6 for $10 so I got the hostas and some autumn fire sedum.

I got a little of everything they had. Twilight, Antioch, Fragrant King, and Dream Queen. I don't know very much about hostas except that I like them and I got a great deal.

Michaela :)

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised at the selection you were able to find left at this time of year. I have checked our local nurseries and I saw 35% off and the only Hosta left looked very tired and nothing I wanted. Most don't even have any hosta left. :( But sounds like some of you got some great deals!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, Michaela and Thank you. Did you ever luck in on a great sale!!! Wow!
    It's always gratifying to pick up end of the season sales, isn't it?
    I have all but Fragrant King. Antioch takes the lead with virtually being indestructible! It is still going strong. I hope at flowering time next year you'll tell us how strong or weak the scent is on FKing :-)

Autumn Fire sedum is a beauty in my garden too and one of several sedums .. tall ones and ground covers...a garden isn't complete without at least one IMO.

A full-service nursery in my area, Bradford Greenhouses Garden Gallery has quite a few hostas and they all look good as they are housed on the floor of a gigantic cool greenhouse/warehouse and are protected from the elements. You can barely see signs of oncoming dormancy on a couple of them.

I haven't been that active here for a while, but I don't recall seeing your name before. If you are new to this forum, I bid you a hearty WELCOME! and hope your interest in hostas continues ... as this is the best place to pick up information, seek and receive advice, and on occasion enjoy some off-the-wall humour and good-natured (most of the time) banter. There is something for every hosta lover here and you don't have to be an expert to participate... the learning curve disappears quickly if you jump in with both feet! I've been gardening for many years...but I have learned about OP seedlings, sports, hybrids, streakers, not to mention acquiring a love for certain hybridizer's hostas like Mildred Seaver's, for example.

We also have Don R. who introduced H. 'Rhino Hide' to the hosta world (and coincidentally grows monster-sized hostas!!! ). Of course, I have my own Rhino Hide, lol....picked it up this year. :-). I highly recommend this great looking hosta---a one-of-a-kind.

Oh, I almost forgot...we have some real sharp hosta lovers that are excellent at identifying hostas, don't we, Vanessa/Hippieindenial? :-).

Again, Welcome, Michaela! and looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Sincerely,
    Jo
    P.S. I gather you are a gardener so I won't bother to forwarn you about the addictive nature of amassing hostas! LOL :-)

9 years ago

Hi Jo! Thank you so much for the warm welcome. You are right, I'm pretty new here. I'm new to gardening in general actually as this is only my third year of gardening total. My first year I grew things on pots on the second story of my apartment. We bought a house a year ago in May so I've had two full summer in our house now!

I have been reading boards for a few months but never had much to say so I just admired everyone's beautiful hostas. I've really grown fond of them this summer.

So gratifying! I was really shocked at the price! I even stopped one of the girls to make sure I was reading it properly. I keep telling my husband I'm done buying plants for the summer and then I came home with 8 hostas and 4 sedums! Ha!

Thank you for your feedback on Antioch. I really love that one... I got three of them so I'm glad to hear they are doing well for you! I actually snapped a picture of the one that was labeled Fragrant King so I'll upload it to my post. I'm hoping that's what it is... always worry things are labeled wrong at the big box places! I will sure let you know. It actually has a bloom on it now. I'll go sniff it later and see if I smell anything! Hehe.

It sounds like I have a lot to learn because I don't know what any of that means! Ha! Thank you so much. I love gardenweb, it's been such an invaluable resource for me. And it's so nice to chat with people who understand how awesome it is to get 6 hostas for $10! :)

Oh wow... Rhino Hide is gorgeous. I actually work at a zoo that has rhinos and they are near and dear to me so I may just have to see if I can get my hands on one someday!

Thank you again so much for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it & look forward to chatting more.

I may have early signs of a hosta bug!

Michaela

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Hey Jo, that is great that you were able to pick up some hostas at reduced prices. I especially like that Hanky Panky!

I was able to pick up three large hosta pots at Lowes for about $4 each. I got two Fragrant Bouquet and one Guacamole. There wasn't much of a selection left, but I wish I had picked up the last Guacamole that I left there. What was I thinking!!!!????

Welcome Michaela! Come and join us for some hosta fun! The more the merrier!

Here are the two Fragrant Bouquet that I purchased.

Original Author
    9 years ago

NHL, those are a terrific size....some quite large leaves on the right one..I've never been to a Lowes yet but there is one near the south end. I should drop by tomorrow and see if there is anything to look at. $4 each is quite the bargain! FBI is such a pretty hosta. Congrats on your new additions! :-)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Got a Remember Me for 50% off at my favaorite nursery. It is small but I think it will be great in a few years.

Sherry

9 years ago

NHL - Thank you!!
    Those are beautiful hostas. Congrats on the great find!

Sherry - that Remember Me is lovely.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I cave in & got this little cutie...Miniature hosta 'Hope'.
    I 'hope' the Hope is not too fussy & makes it until spring. Only 40% off - better than nothing.

Rina

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Like Hope! Josephine, should have mentioned that Hanky Panky is a winner

Sherry

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Jo,your Hanky Panky looked almost the same as mine,the first year I planted it. Here is what it looks like in the spring. This is the first year it came up. Phil

9 years ago

Rina - Hope is so cute! I was just thinking about how I wanted to find some minis next year! The only place I saw them this year was the Farmers Market and they were a bit pricey. So I'm going to be looking for them next year!

You guys are really making me want a hanky panky now. :o) Such beautiful colors.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Phil, thank you for showing me a fine example of the spring presentation of colours. After your comments, I sure am eager to see it emerge in the spring. How much, and when, does yours get sun?

Sherry, if it looks half as good as Phil's does next year, I'm happy! Since Striptease is such a terrific grower, I'm anticipating wonderful things from Hanky Panky. You will love Remember Me - I got mine this year too, for my birthday from my daughter. I'm curious to see what colour the emerging shoots will be. This is a little beauty!

Rina, that Hope is very pretty. Minis attract me for more than their size but it's their compact nature that allows me to collect more...you can fit them in anywhere! 40% saving on a mini is a great deal - that's hard to come by!

I'm glad you've joined the Guacamole posse, NHL! Every time I see pics of Guacamole Don's from Colorado, I have to go outside and gaze at mine! Lol

Love seeing all these great buys so late in the season!

I'll never forget the time I found my June and Golden Tiara - it was around early October a few years back. On my way into the grocery store, I was scanning some seasonal mums, etc. when I spied a few hosta leaves sticking out among some perennials. $6 each! They were my first "late" purchases and the least expensive, ever. I'll never forget that rush - I kept grinning to myself while I shopped, so happy to have scored such a bargain!

So....keep it coming...all these great buys! :-)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Jo,mine gets dappled sun all day,since it is near a huge Oak. It doesn't grow as big as,say Striptease,but eventually makes a nice sized plant. Downhill from it is A Kiwi Full Monty,and two Stripteases,but they are not too near to cause a conflict. Enjoy! Phil

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Phil! :-)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Jo - did you end up going back for more?

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Wow, you guys are lucky, I don't think I've ever seen that kind of variety at the big box stores here in the twin cities. In fact i quite often just find tags reading... "hosta" .

Fortunately for me the little mom and pop nursery i found has great variety and prices and their end of season sale started at the end of July with their greenhouse closing for the season at the end of Sept.

I had been waiting for the sale to go pick up some companion plants for my new hostas (I ended up with Brunnera Jack Frost, two astilbe, a very cheap toad lily and two heuchera), but of course the hosta called out to me. Now, is it just me or do others kinda get the feeling that hosta sales are naughty? Because I remember the feeling of evading a police dragnet as I rushed home with my perennials and 18 new hosta.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I got the 'mini' in garden centre in Toronto, Ont. They had at least 8 different minies (possibly more). All hostas were 40% off, there were many large ones. Would buy 1 of each, haha....if pocketbook permitted and beds were ready. Maybe next year.

Rina

Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I haven't gone back, ConnieMay...yet! I got sidetracked by other things but tomorrow is a possibility! Lol

I walked around the back today... Last nights low temp (1C) made a significant difference - I can just about pull all the leaves off the hostas or the majority of them so I'll continue tomorrow with that chore. The less debris, the less to clean up in spring. :-)

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

Hi, everyone, :) I've posted a couple of times, but am really new to hostas, so I'm spending most of my time reading and learning. I couldn't resist chiming in here, because I just picked up two Lakeside Cupcakes for 3.49 each at Home Depot this weekend. I didn't even plan to buy any plants, just took a walk through the nursery part, and there was a big table of little hostas, so I walked over and ended up with one. When I got home, hubby wanted to know where I was going to put it (we have a really small urban yard) and I showed him, and he insisted we go back and get another one to make a pair! I just hope they make it through the winter!

Lynn T.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Enjoy your cupcakes! Lakeside Cupcake is a very cute hosta. I am sure they will be fine. Great deal.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's such a great buy, Lynn! Your DH is a great enabler, lol. I got mine this year too as a gift....like it a lot already. :-).

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

You guys have found such great deals! Our almost-local nursery has a whole 25% off.

I've been working on a retaining wall. It's almost done (well, as done as it will be for a couple years) and needed small hostas. Curly Fries, Mighty Mouse and Purheart all fit the bill, but somehow plantaginea, Half and Half, and Ice Follies jumped in the cart, too. The far end is a bit wider, so H&H and IF might be OK.

Instead of 6 for $10.00, I got 6 for an average of $10.00 each. It's OK, the little independent places need to survive, and I'd been coveting Ice Follies since seeing it in someone else's garden.

• Dutchgreener
    9 years ago

I bought this last week over here in Europe:

H. Wolverine
    H. Lakeside Little Tuft
    H. Stiletto
    H. Whirlwind
    H. Revolution

3,95 euro a piece or 5$ per plant.
    In a couple of weeks I pay 50% less but hey, now I can choose :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mad, kudos for supporting the smaller independents!! Got any pics to share? :-). Nice hostas you picked up!

Dutch, those look really good! LLT and S are the only ones on your list I do not have. Wolverine is a fast grower, you'll love it.

Jo

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

LOL! Josephine, I'm not sure he's an enabler or just wanted to go to HD-that's his toy store, IMO. But if I can get a plant or some out of it, well...I'm looking forward to being more active here once good weather comes back. I'm just north of Boston, so we're cleaning up and settling in. I envy you all who are good at gardening in colder weather - I'm just learning to deal with it. :)
    Lynn T

Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy to hear you'll be more active when good weather returns...I'm already pining for spring and winter hasn't even appeared yet!

Looking forward to your pics next year! :-)

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

Me too!!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Rina, will have to add Hope to the list, there's still unfilled space on the retaining wall.

Josephine, It took me a while to get to them, but here are the photos. Half and Half, Curly Fries, Mighty Mouse, and Pure Heart ( whose spelling I butchered above ). The light colored thing dangling down is a sporting bit of vinca major. I potted it up hoping it stays that color.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

And here are Ice Follies and plantaginea.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That Ice Follies is a really nice hosta! Don't have that one.
    (My wireless device was down for a few days...back in business!:-)
    Jo

• Dutchgreener
    9 years ago

Today I saw these in a nursery here in the Netherlands.
    Still waiting for the sale :(

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Dutch, that is such a nice scenery! My brother lives just over the border in Oldenburg, you people have a mild climate as everyone here in the soon frozen North would appreciate to have. Bernd

• Dutchgreener
    9 years ago

Bernd,

I'm also near the coast so thats even better with the temperature.
    Last winter even my hot peppers survived :)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Dutch, my brother once had one winter without snow he said. The Gulf stream entering the North Sea provides such nice weather. Here in upstate NY in the US we have down to -20 F, still warmer than other northern states though, and hostas grow well in summer anyway.
    Bernd

• Dutchgreener
    9 years ago

Lucky us :)
    Still got some flowering Hosta's now so I'm happy.

Greener