Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

"Suggestive" names for Hosta

Esther...you had a good point in the Naylor thread.

I thought this subject matter would make an interesting thread and start a great debate. Any takers? :-).

*****There is a caveat to perk up more interest....you must endeavour to post a pic of your "suggestively-named" hosta!*****

I've wondered myself about the use of a filter (or lack thereof) when naming and registering hosta. I suppose I could research online and seek out an answer but thought it would be more interesting to hear from forum members.

The power of suggestion is not over-rated by a long shot. I'm of the opinion that "marketing" is a very powerful tool. Who would not be curious about what an 'Erotica' hosta looked like, or 'Little Stiffy' for example? Would some people would buy it just for conversation's sake, or a good chuckle?

I have H. 'Striptease' in my garden and am waiting for the inevitable question from one of my granddaughters, lol. But I am ready for her...."Oh, honey, that white line, that little strip there, it is playing peek-a-boo and teasing". Lol

What do YOU think about the use of "suggestive" names for hosta?

Comments (33)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased H. 'Striptease' about three years ago. It is a beautiful hosta with intriguing, yet subtle variegation. The degree of subtlety varies with sun exposure.

I bought it not because of its unique name but it's unique colour and I simply love it!

Jo

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops...I forgot to add this....

I think the Hosta is a magnificent perennial. The use of the more "colourful" names that are popping out in the hosta world is certainly attention-getting..... but if I am to give my honest opinion on the subject, I find that these new "suggestive" names take something away from the most beautiful and classy plant imaginable.

I wonder what any of the original hybridizers of hosta would say?

Jo

• esther_b
    10 years ago

If I want to see what stuff like H. Erotica looks like, I can look in the hosta library photo gallery. I don't have to buy it. The closest I have to H. Striptease in my garden is H. Gypsy Rose, and she is a beauty. No one would connect the hosta's name to a stripper.

It is a shame that the growers feel that they have to pander to the lowest common denominator to sell hostas. Aren't the plants beautiful enough to sell themselves without having to resort to suggestive names? Do we have to look forward to H. "F-me", H. "Mr. Johnson", H. "Boobie-Doobie", etc.? I am not trying to be crude, but these would be the next level of hosta names if this unfortunate trend continues.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

Really?

Unfortunate trend?

Really?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Yes, UNFORTUNATE, I agree. There is a such a thing as moral fiber still to be found in this country. Some, as Esther has stated, do not like the trend of names that hostas are taking. And they're not all "too old to get it", as I'm sure will come up next. I'm 38 and I don't like it, either. Everything doesn't have to be made sexual in order to appeal to people, we can appreciate the hosta for what it is and the attributes that it shows us without having to go down to the basement to name it. Just my 2 cents, I know there is plenty out there that disagree, but integrity and moral fiber still means something to me and it should to all. If you're grandparents wouldn't have liked it, then you probably should at least think twice about it. If we all did, this country wouldn't have half of the problems that it faces now.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I think there is a difference between playfully rude (derrière, etc) and "eeewwww, come on!" (little stiffy?)

I mean, if a grower looks at his plant and says, "well gee golly, that hosta leaf looks like my....(fill in the blank)" and then feels the need to name it along that line, fine. I'll just give a wry smile, roll my eyes, and move on. But do I want to buy hosta 'Bridegroom' so I can walk by it every day and ponder on how "perky" he's looking? Not so much. :)

This post was edited by jadie88 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 16:50

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

If the originator of 'Little Stiffy' named it after himself, that is truly unfortunate, indeed. : P

Don B.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I agree completely, Jadie. Striptease doesn't bother me that much (although, I'm sure that's just from the conditioning of living in the times), but there are others that I think, "Really, that's what you came up with?"

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I'm not really offended by most of the names, (Gypsy Rose? I never gave that a second thought), but I like fairness. I see Double D Cup, and I want to know where's Jock Strap or Tighty Whities? ....Well, okay, I really don't want those names, just trying to make a point. :-)
    For me, where I live,
    1. I don't want to offend someone else. I'd like people to enjoy looking at my gardens. I can remember the names of the few in the front yard without tags.
    2) I've had people in my gardens that thought I made up the names, not realizing they're registered names. If I'm not around to tell them that, I don't need someone making too much of it in their own heads about why I gave a plant that name, lol.
    3) My being cautious. While most people would not give a darn, I don't want to draw the attention of the occasional over-the-top person who might take it out on my gardens in the darkness of night.
    I've read that Striptease originally had the "e" to be Stripe- tease, which makes perfect sense. Somewhere along the line the "e" was dropped. As per Josephine's request, here's mine...

And how about some Kiwi Full Monty...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know if i want to tell ester.. why herb benedict named bridegroom as he did.. 20 or 30 years ago ... lol

suggestive names are nothing new ... they are just getting more apparent .. as society breaks down ....

ester.. you know that music.. that gives you an instant headache.. i call it 'thumpy thumpy boom sh*t' ... its all the rage in middle and high school.. and frankly.. having a couple teenagers.. i am forced to be involved with it.. and thank God i dont have much hair left .. otherwise.. it would be falling out if you knew the lyrics ..

hosta names are mild compared to such ....

the whole country is going to carp ... speaking of which.. i out to name a hosta 'Carp' ....lol .. or maybe 'two fisted carp' ... i dont even know what that means .... maybe hillbilly will honor me ...

but i digress ...

ken

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

For the love all things holy, please name a hosta "two fisted carp"...I'll buy it in a nanosecond. I almost fell off my chair.

And for the record, do I think those names are juvenile and slightly stupid....yes. Am I offended.....um, no.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Heh heh, 'Two-Fisted Carp'...heh heh heh...

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

ken , if only i knew which of us now two hillbillys r sposta name a hosta afta u

i'm trying to decide on a new moniker since there's already evidence confusing us

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

hostahillbilly you can have that name since apparently you had it first ill have a new name which maybe wont be to close to yours to cause confusion.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Here is a vote that obviously rude names should not be permitted, simply don't buy hostas with such names. There was an article in one of the last Hosta Journals of the AHS on this subject. Some of the names mentioned here are not offensive to me at all.
    I no longer use markers around hostas because I raked them up or stepped on them. Hosta names I have on a map as abbreviations (2-4 letters) which are then referenced in a list (EXCEL) which is not for public view. So, where is there a problem? Bernd

• esther_b
    10 years ago

BERND: I of course will buy no hostas with suggestive names, as I do not want to economically support using such names. I don't want to have to run into my home to boot up my computer to identify a hosta or heuchie. Therefore, I have attractive engraved aluminum markers by each plant. If your system works for you, that's great.

• dougald_gw
    10 years ago

I also dont much appreciate the more suggestive names. However, I'm not easily offended. I also am not a collector and dont keep the registered name on the plant - and if I did I would hardly be concerned with a neighbour's reaction to a suggestive name. But that is just me and I appreciate that others have stronger views on this.

It all means that if a hosta looks attractive and fits the effect I am looking for it, I don't care what its name is.

Everyone is free to purchase as they wish and the marketplace will one way or another respect the consumers' wishes.

Personally, I find that a level of tolerance for others' views helps all social situations. And the corollary is of course that political or moralistic views are best expressed on a forum devoted to the subject and not carried over here where we are enjoying horticultural pursuits.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I pre-ordered Erotica because I recognized the name as associated with the original Strip Tease nomenclature. I also won at auction Afterglow, because it related to Climax, a really great hosta. I have Kiwi Full Monty. I HAVE Derriere, and am proud to own it. I also bid and won at FirstLook13 the notoriously adorable Stud Muffin.

I keep name tags on my hosta, more or less religiously. It is that some perfectly nice people, even some neighbors, think they can prescribe behavior for other people where they have no business doing so.

The AHS discussion of hosta nomenclature states their awareness of such issues. They know what they are doing. It is best left to the AHS and the hybridizers to handle naming without fanfare. If I like a hosta, the name won't keep me from buying it. I have some hosta because I LIKE THE NAME, suggestive or not.

Hosta by any other name would smell as sweet, to paraphrase Shakespeare.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's In A Name

Original Author
    10 years ago

But, but, but, Mocc...you forgot to post pics! ;-). Are you up to it, please?

• User
    10 years ago

Ach......Jo....I realize now, the first caveat was to "post pictures." And that I totally forgot.

Okay, I previously stated to BKAy I was going out to the garden to update Gold Standard, but I see others are now required.
    The latest ones, of course, will not be delivered until late March 2014. :)

And to quote KenA again, "....wait for it....."
    ;)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sorry, Jo! I only have 'Striptease' and it wasn't photo-worthy this year!

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, Mocc...you have H. 'Derriere, right? Hint hint.. The little footie thingies holding up hosta by same name? Priceless!

Don't worry, Don, but I cannot imagine an unworthy-of- a-pic hosta anywhere in your gardens for they are all so lovely. :-)

Enjoying the various comments and opinions ...I am surprised there are not more pictures though...we must all be tired at the end of the season, yes?

FYI....I just took a pic of Majesty today....another like Lakeside Shore Master...almost orange in colour..will post under the latest Oct pics. :-)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I'm late joining this thread, but I'll throw my 2 cents in...

I just received the Naylor Creek catalog and took a look at hosta 'Erotica'. It's gorgeous and I'd love to grow it, but I won't.

Why? Because I like to label my hostas with metal plant markers and don't want one of them to read H. 'Erotica'. I don't want to have to explain the name to my kids or to any friends that want to tour my back yard.

I'm not particularily offended by suggestive names, but it doesn't mean I want to display them in my garden either. I wish the growers wouldn't use them. It's kind of like swearing in public. You can do it if you want, but some people won't appreciate it and may get offended. On the other hand, no one gets offended if you don't use it. Why alienate people when it's unnecessary? Sometimes it's just better to err on the side of caution.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

'Extacy' has kinky flowers . . .

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

'X-Rated'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

well-said, ff

• User
    10 years ago

Just make it Exotica.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Yes, ff, very well said.

I know sex sells. But c'mon now. We're buying PLANTS for gosh sakes, not clothing, perfume, or even a car. PLANTS!

I don't wanna tell my friends at our weekly get-together that my new favorite hostas are Striptease, Erotica and Derriere. Or, G@d forbid, Little Stiffy.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Gees everyone gets into a huff over a name and if the plant is nice, I would buy it regardless of the names. If it is an offensive name to you, buy it or not or maybe just mark it XXX if you have to have tags.. go girl!(Moc) For crying out loud, it is a HOSTA not a hooker
    Faye

• jadie88
    10 years ago

...or how about labelling any offenders as "hosta 'Censored'
    ...with a warning sign at the garden gate saying: "Some hostas may not be appropriate for all audiences. Viewer discretion advised." :)

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

If one is named 'Landing Strip' it doesn't have anything to do with airplanes.
    Kathy

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOLLOLLOLLOLOLOL. now we're getting somewhere! Where? I don't know....whether it's a safe zone or not I imagine it will peter out on its own eventually...in the meantime.... the subject line allows for a fair amount of latitude...which is evident in the replies...AND entertaining! lol

This post was edited by josephines67 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 12:15