Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Odds and Ends

mctavish6
11 years ago

Most of these were taken on Sept 30 or Oct 1. They are the ones that still look pretty great to me.

The first four are also Hostas that are under appreciated or at least not commented on much. I'm not sure why but they are fav's of mine.

I had to post this one in defence of Ann Kulpa. This is one of my best white centered Hostas. It is not perfect at this time of year but that is more due to falling tree stuff than anything else.

Comments (14)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Lots of pretty things still standing in your garden! 'Abiqua Recluse' and 'Paradigm' actually look flawless. Thanks for sharing.
    Jan

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

My Paradigm is in more light then yours is Myrle so is quite gold.. Love that one too

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

I admire how your hostas still have the glaucous coating in September. You do a wonderful job both caring for and photographing you hostas, Myrle. Thank you for sharing both with us.
    Theresa

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Myrle,your hostas actually look better than mine. A lot of mine are already completely gone. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

Always inspiring to see your hosta, Myrle.

I have a young Paradigm, which looks good now, not at all weathered and faded. Must be a strong grower.

I have something similar to Aba Recluse and Lime Smoothie, but cannot remember what right now. Love the crinkled golden bronze leaves. Lots of substance, my preference in a hosta.

• plantbug
    11 years ago
  • bkay2000
    11 years ago

Hmmm.... My paradigm is still green in the middle (It's ugly as it's the one that was smushed.). My Orange Marmalade faded to cream as did Gold Standard. Wonder what makes the difference? The Paradigm and the Gold Standard got the same sun.

bkay

• User
    11 years ago

Here's the Paradigm taken this last week.

Do not know what possessed me to say I had one like Lime Smoothie. More like Stardust, but no dusting of white around the margins. That is a beautiful plant, Myrle.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

I just learned that this big unknown hosta I had in my back yard since I bought the house a few years ago might be a Paradigm. It takes lot of sun, and care free. Here is a picture taken yesterday. Not a sign of fall color yet.

Vivian

• User
    11 years ago

Vivian, that is a beautiful hosta! Seems to have Paradigm written all over it...:)

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

Thanks to this forum and I now know the name of this big hosta that has been in my back yard for a long time. This just shows how much I need to learn about hosta gardening. I had some unknown hostas: now I know, one of them is Paradigm, one is Frangrant Bouquet, and the 3rd one is Halcyon. All have been superb. And this last 2 years I have added new ones (with known names::) and now I am a proud owner of 28 different hostas.

Vivian

• User
    11 years ago

Two things:
    PlantBug, I appreciate the coffeepot picture. Similar in thinking to my Teatime teapot, but theirs is more elaborate.
    Having ornamentation with hosta seems a natural thing. Thanks.

And Vivian, you are so cool to make your observations and figure out the ID of your three hosta all alone. Aren't the photos here GREAT? This year, 2012, saw a change in my hosta gardening. I'd say I reached a "tipping point" and do not know what set it off, except MAYBE it was PICTURES. So, we'll see how you manage next growing year, 2013. Watch out, the hostaholic bug may be lurking somewhere close! :)

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't want to mislead you Moccasinlanding - The Stardust is just bleached at the edges of the leaf late in the year. Here is Stardust in Mid August.

• User
    11 years ago

OOOOhh wow-suh....even prettier, and it is a goldie.
    Sigh.....well, I guess it isn't too early to start a 2013 Wish List.

Always room for another gold heavy substanced hosta.
    Myrle, I did not consider you had misled me, not at all. Things change every week with these plants, all of them keep me watching for what comes next. Thanks.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company