Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire Island has another scape emerging NOW?!

Posted by Brandys_garden 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 14:18

I noticed the other day that Fire Island seems to have another scape emerging. I wasn't sure, now I am pretty sure... Has anyone else ever seen a hosta scape this late in the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire Island has another scape emerging NOW?!

My Kiwi Full Monty has sent up a new scape just in the last week or so. Maybe not coincidentally, KFM put on a lavish second flush of leaves just before that? Dunno but I was surprised to see the late scape since it had already bloomed earlier in the season.

o

I was out cutting seed scapes to put in sugar water ahead of the freeze predicted for next week and noticed that KFM is sending up a second flower scape. It had only one scape earlier in summer & now has two!

After thinking about it, I remembered reading that some hostas will rebloom. I think Moccasin mentioned that some of hers did.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 23:28

The Razor's Edge bloomed twice for me this year.

o

Just in from my morning hosta walkabout & Sagae sent up a flower scape overnight. I don't recall Sagae having bloomed earlier in the summer.

o
plantaginea

As an aside, I'm stillll waiting for either of my two plantagineas, my one Aphrodite and Adorable to send up a flower scape. The plantagineas & Aphrodite were all moved last summer to a location in the veggie garden where they all get quite a lot of sun. I think they no-like life in central Wisconsin.

o

hosta are not stable...

meaning. in this case.. the do weird things,...

my only thought.. is that it is wasting energy it stored for next spring..

and my other ONLY thought is... maybe too much fert got it out of phase...

whatever.. its a hosta.. dont worry about it ...

ken

o

Ci-lantro, just send those babies south if they are unhappy. I will put them in my fragrant playground and send you some that are not happy down this way. :)

But, even here, the plantaginea bloomed late, with the blooms just end of September withering on the scape and one big fat seedpod to show for it. Two of the extended fragrant family, Bennie McRae and Mariachi, wound up being the last bloomers this year.....but I haven't looked for new scapes, so perhaps I should. Our average first frost is not until some time in November, but nothing has been normal for several years and I've forgotten what date that might be.

Did you get a cool snap and then warm back up? Who knows what triggers the urge to bloom......of course, I suppose you could really nip it in the bud and cut them off to avoid wasting the stored energy that will get them through your much colder winters.

o

I had a bunch of guys rebloom just now in different beds...no fertilizer, but it's been a beautiful warm fall. I think it must be climate conditions in my case. My garden went through a second bloom flush last fall as well...at least I have pretty flowers to look at up until November!

Stiletto showing off next to Autumn Joy sedum - Korean tassel fern in background.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:55

o

My Fire Island was blooming again until a few back to back hard frosts put the plant to sleep for the winter. The scape had several blooms that hadn't opened yet before it was frozen out.

The bed it's planted in is pretty rich, soil brought up from in front of the horse barn. The weather for the most part has been glorious.

o

pearl lake keeps blooming for me if i remove the scapes after they bloom ... but most of us have heard that before ...

dave

o
RE: Fire Island has another scape emerging NOW?

one month ago, here on hillbilly ridge in z4 nw lower MI, here's what 'fire island' was doing,

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here