Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlebug5_gw

I have a MOLE!

littlebug5
9 years ago

No, not on my face. Under my HOSTA BED! DH says they don't eat hosta roots. Do they? He says they only eat insects, especially grubs. A Cherry Berry hosta is definitely pushed up out of the ground so I know the mole has been right under it.

How do I get rid of it?

Comments (13)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

DH is rtight. Moles are carnivores. They only eat soil insects and worms. The only time they damage plants is when they disrupt the root system or lift the plant.

Getting rid of them is tricky. Most home remedies are just old wive's tales and have little to no effectiveness. A cat that is a good hunter will keep mole populations under control or you can trap for them. But once they've depleted the tasty soil insect population, they move on. They also tend to be very solitary, so likely only one of these pesky critters present.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Moles don't intentionally eat roots (like voles do), but they can damage roots as they are gnawing around them to get at insects, and by creating air pockets. If you want to get rid of them, there are various methods, with poisons, traps, contaminants, and sonic pulses being the main ones. Of course, you need to be concerned about children and pets if you are using anything but the sonic devices (which some people think are marginally effective, or just move the moles to another part of the yard). We have quite a few in our large yard, and their population seems to wax and wane. I've given up on trying to get rid of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mole control

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Here's what you need: Mole Eliminator

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

The Mole Eliminator works. We have gotten 15 moles this summer with this trap.

Really think when folks say there is only one mole, its an old wives tale!

• littlebug5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! I'm going to go see if my local farm supply store has one of these. (We don't have a Tractor Supply, but we have an Orschlen's.)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Mole Eliminator is the only thing I've found that works. I've tried numerous other ways to rid our yard of moles, including various poisons, traps and sounds (the sonic thumper actually ATTRACTED them straight to the unit instead of driving them away). Nothing worked until I purchased this particular trap.

Another plus about it is that you never have to use your hands to set the thing, so no worrying about losing a finger. Extremely simple to use and by far the most effective.

The key is to find the mole's long, straight runs. Doesn't work very well on areas where they're just rooting around for food, as they don't reuse those spots.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

littlebug-
    You can get them through Amazon, of course....

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

We had one several weeks ago. I set up a solar sound repeller and it moved to the other side of the yard. Then I moved the repeller to the other side and it returned to the original spot. One of my cats spotted it digging and I took a shovel and took care of the problem myself. Having a cat around does help. I thought we had several moles because there were so many tunnels but we have not had any more ground movement since.

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

Very similar to the Mole Eliminator, I used one called the Tomcat. About $20 at Lowes. I beleive Home Depot has a similar on made by Victor. I have set it 5 times and grabbed a Mole each time within 24 hours. This is after chasing them for 35 years with no luck.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Ouch!

• drc215
    9 years ago

I have many tunneling creatures in my yard also, but I am still not sure what they are. Either way I was all set to order the Wire Tek 1001 EasySet Mole Eliminator Trap until I read this review:

"...just keep in mind that if your pests are really the field mice size Voles instead of the larger moles it won't catch them,,,,,"

This is the big debate at our house - mole or vole?? We have lots of tunnels. But none of my plants are mysteriously dying.

My creatures are dark grey, have about a 1-2 inch tail, and we see them above ground, go into tunnels, and even the garage.

Mole? Vole? Field mouse?

We also have a couple of chipmunks.

Thanks!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Moles no longer come to my yard, because I spread a grub killer every spring to eliminate their food. Whenever I see a hole in the ground from anything, like chipmunks, voles, mice, etc., I drop a few dCON pellets in it, and there is peace for me...
    University studies showed that infestations with voles can not be controlled with traps, because they reproduce faster than you can trap them. Recommended is poison pellets.
    Bernd

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Hate the dirty little bastards. I swear they're on a mission to bring me down and won't be happy until I at least twist an ankle.