Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

2011 Hosta of the Year Praying Hands

hostamanphil
11 years ago

Some people love while others can do without it. I like it for it's uniqueness. Here is a pic of mine next to Pizzazz. Let's see yours. Phil

Comments (20)

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

It's most certainly unique enough to not need a label, huh?

None of our clumps are truly mature, compared with some we've seen, so no special pics of ours as yet.

Folks seem to either like or hate it.

Last year we had a tour by a Ladies Bible Study Group and, needless to say, sold out of it pronto ;-)

hh

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I am definitely on the âÂÂLove ITâ side of the fence with this one. This is the first year for mine and it shows it's immaturity when compared to Phil's.

The appeal for me comes largely with it's unique leaf shape. Not many (if any other) hostas exhibit this sort of severe folding and twisting. If you didn't know this was a hosta and were standing about 20 feet away you might look at it and think it was a green calla lily (use your imagination).

I will say though, I am a fan of keeping this one in a pot for display purposes. With that severe of an upright petiole the overall structure of the plant can be lost (in my opinion) when viewed from above.

Either way, it will always draw attention whether good or bad.

Ludi

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Wouldn't you love to see this one with blazing red petioles? I wonder if/when it will happen.

Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Mine is still little, and I must admit I'm not crazy about it. If it should expire, I wouldn't replace it (well - unless I found a really big handsome specimen....)
    Jan

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Love it or hate it? Let's just say I don't love it. Twisty, narrow leaves are very different, but I cannot gaze upon them dreaming, as I sometimes do with other hostas. (Like Liberty).
    -Babka

• Gesila
    11 years ago

One of my few "third year" hostas. It's been a good grower:

Gesila

• User
    11 years ago

I won't say NEVER, but at this time I have no desire to put this one in my garden. If it was fragrant, that would be different, and yes, I'd get it.

Glad to see you posting, Ludi.

And Gesila, I like that twisty leafed little one in the lower right corner by your Praying Hands.

• peggy_hosta
    11 years ago

Here's my 4 yr old Praying Hands. It gets about 1-2 hrs of high noon sun. People notice this one when they visit my gardens.

Peggy K

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Mine this year back in May:

Karen

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

That's the picture that indicated to me that Praying Hands was worth having. Thanks for posting it, Karen.

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Ohhhh Karen that is truly inspirational . . . I long to create such dramatic displays. I'm with Steve . . . thanks for sharing. Your picture illustrates my point exactly with displaying this Hosta in it's entirety. But whether in a pot or in the ground, as Peggy said, it will always grab someone's attention.

I am curious, the hosta in front of your praying hands . . . is that Wolverine or LS Dragonfly . . . I suspect the latter.

::pops head out from behind hosta leaf::

you caught me Moccasin !! Yes, things have slowed down a bit for me and I am able to take some time again to post on the forums.

Those sneaky boys over at Naylor mailed me a 2013 color catalog which inspired me to open up my Wish list again and start mulling over the rows and rows of desire.

There are a few threads going at the moment with some lovely photos (looks at Mctavish).

It never fails . . . get ANYWHERE NEAR this forum and the enabling washes over you like a tidal wave.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

hh

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I could never decide to buy a H.'Praying Hands', it did not look like a hosta to me. I like wider corrugated leaves. 'Liberty' was a good choice, and I bought 2. Bernd

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I just can't seem to warm up to Praying Hands. Though by name alone what could be better for my Theresa's Angel Garden than Praying Hands (and no, moc! My garden is not named for the present day Theresa: both she and my garden are named honoring our Great Grandmother Theresa who with Max came to America from Germany before either of the big wars, thank God. That took a LOT of courage.)!

I might buy one for that reason only! Maybe it will "grow on me". (pun intended!)

When I had $20 bucks to spend I'd passed on PH and bought Niagara Falls and Dream Weaver for example.

Les

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Had an opportunity to buy Praying Hands, but passed up on it. I, too, am not that fond of it. But I do very much like Karen's use of it as a centerpiece in a container.

Hostahillbilly: Your Praying Hands hosta is looking very good and I love your unique flower urn.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Here's one from 2010 convention.

Paul

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone. The hosta in front of it is Lakeside Dragonfly, the one behind it in the ground is Majesty.

Karen

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Paul the Praying hands in the above picture is just beautiful. It is huge. I have three of them and love them. There is no comparing one hosta from another as comparing apples to oranges or bananas( they are all fruit) but totally different.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Karen's previous photo of the same hosta convinced me it's a great hosta. It's also a great photo. Thanks, Karen.

bkay

Karen's hosta and photo

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Here is a few from the 2012 National Convention