Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

AHS e-newsletter

Babka NorCal 9b
10 years ago

Just today taking a look at the new e-letter. Interesting info on nematodes, and other society goings on. However, one thing caught my eye. The caption on one of the photos caught my eye immediately.

One of my most favorite-ist ever hostas in the whole wide world, is Lakeside Dragonfly. It is pictured with the name Dragon Fly. Oops.

-Babka

Comments (5)

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Somehow Lakeside Fly does not sound nearly as enticing.

• User
    10 years ago

Well now, Babka, glad you pointed out the mistaken ID. I was reading about the nematodes last night, but did not have a chance to remark here about it.

My take on the research done so far is that ammonia and bleach are fairly effective at wiping them out....or maybe reducing the population.....but even keeping the containers with afflicted hosta close to the clean pots, will lead to foliar damage pretty quick.

I probably could have saved my Royal Flush this year, but I was getting too frazzled when they showed up to deal with the nems. Taking it far far away from my good performers was all I could think of.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I probably could have saved my Royal Flush this year, but I was getting too frazzled

==>> wait.. wait.. you mean... that that guy who suggested you dont over react.. may have been right???

naw.. i am probably mistaken ...

lol

ken

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Bleach and ammonia may kill all the adult nematodes they contact in water or out in the open (like on a leaf surface), but they can't get into the tissue itself to contact them all and probably won't do anything to kill the eggs. Bleach breaks down pretty quickly once it hits organic matter, so it won't kill them down in the soil at all nor get all of them deep in the crowns to ever completely rid the plants.

Yes, I know Bruce swears by the bleach dip to kill nematodes and yes, it clearly has some effect, but it isn't a sure thing and may simply mask the overall population. That's the problem with any chemicals that are available now - it just masks the problem and not that great much of the time. That's why we don't use chemicals any longer on a wide scale or it could be hiding any nematodes that might be there (been there before).

It is good news for cleaning empty pots, tools, potting benches, etc. to help prevent the spread of nematodes, knowing that bleach or ammonia will do the job well :)

• User
    10 years ago

Ahhhhhh

"I probably could have saved my Royal Flush this year, but I was getting too frazzled

==>> wait.. wait.. you mean... that that guy who suggested you dont over react.. may have been right???

naw.. i am probably mistaken ...

lol

ken
    [unquote]

Ummmm, you called it right, O mighty Juan Kinobe, Lord of the Driveways.

I hate to further admit to you, but it will become apparent soon enough, that I'm not a Perfectionist gardener either. So there! There are bigger fish to catch and to fry in the universe.

I learned my lesson from you, "PACE YOURSELF." ;)