Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_2007

Need Information-Light Frost coming

margaret_2007
10 years ago

Hello-I need to know whether I should water my hostas & other things planted lately with a light frost predicted this evening. I watered well when planted but my hostas that were already in I am concerned about. I have read where they should be watered good before a heavy frost. Any information will be helpful. Just getting into these lovely plants & don't want to lose any. Thanks & Blessings, Margaret

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey.. welcome...

i dont have a clue what you are talking about ...

if this were spring.. damp soil might stay warmer into a cold night night ... and help avoid a frost/freeze ... but ....

this aint spring if you didnt notice ...

moist soil thru ground freeze is never bad ...

but as of late october... frost or freeze is slowing your plants down... watering is NOT going to make a difference ...

with warm days.. and cold nights.. november is usually quite moist.. but sometimes.. if can be a desert out there.. so just make sure the soil doesnt go into winter.. bone dry ... but dont freeze roots into an icicle.. depending on how your soil drains ...

too many peeps see the trees turn color.. and put the hose away .. a real gardener waters when needed.. not subject to a calender ...

hope that helps ...

ken

ps: z5 is s really diverse area.. i might change my mind.. if i knew where you were ... right back at you.. with the blessings ... we all need a few extra.. dont you think ...

• margaret_2007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ken. Sure glad I don't have as many as you have. I am just starting to get into them. Blessings, Margaret

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Margaret,

I know why you ask that question, about getting good watering in before the freezes come, because I've read this being recommended a few times from various people. I read an article written by Bob Solberg where he wrote (paraphrasing here) something very much like 'Hostas like to be full of water going into dormancy...' Then, there isn't much detail after that about exactly when, etc. Ken obviously knows what he's talking about, he's got a whole bunch of big, beautiful plants he's been growing for decades...Just wanted to let you know, don't feel like the lone ranger, I've heard that as well : ) FWIW, I think if you already practice the good, generous watering habits that hosta love, generally speaking, they'll be just fine come spring.

Cheers, and blessings to you as well,

Don Backer

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Well I am in zone 6,and this time of year,I don't do anything,except watch the leaves fall! We had a ton of rain this year,and every morning it is foggy,meaning there is still a lot of moisture in the ground and trees. I don't even clean up the garden until spring. Phil