Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostatakeover

Not Yellow River, so....

what is it?

Ordered Yellow River from a reputable breeder/seller this past summer and this is what I received. After looking at it for 3 months I finally have to admit it's not what I ordered.

Can anyone ID this one for me?

Comments (16)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Could it be Satisfaction?

Denis

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think so, Denis. I have Satisfaction and it looks very little like this one. This one has fairly round leaves while Satisfaction's are more pointed and not as wide, plus Satisfaction's margin isn't as wide as this.

You know, I just referenced the Library and I'm almost wondering if this isn't Broad Band. What do you think?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

My guess was a bit of a stab in the dark, I am fairly new to all this. I'm sure someone here will tell you for certain what it is, Broadband is very nice and will probably end up in my garden sometime soon.

Denis

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whatever it is.. its head and shoulders above yellow river.. lol ...

you might not want to complain too loudly ...

ken

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is just a stab in the dark, too. On the net Broad Band is listed as a medium-sized Hosta, and this one seems mighty tall for a medium.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Ken! I didn't intend to lodge a complaint anyway, as it's just too darn pretty to complain about. I'll get Yellow River next year from someone.

But please, if anyone can help me ID this one I'd really appreciate it.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

This is my Broad Band new this year for comparison.

DD

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

How about a young 'Afterglow' that isn't showing the texture just yet? It looks like it wants to have some corrugation, but may be too young still. Whatever the name, it is a beautiful hosta.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

My guess is Earth Angel.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Removed duplicate post...

This post was edited by ConnieMay on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 21:08

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, your BB is really pretty! It's leaves are more pointed but that's just because it's young, I think. And while mine SEEMS tall right now, it's unlikely to come back next year that tall because it's hot here as opposed to the cooler clime it came from. So maybe it is BB.

Bungalow, it's possible. The margin seems a bit wider on After Glow plus AG is corrugated whereas mine is not. Maybe when mine gets a bit older some corrugation will develop? I could do worse; that's a really pretty Hosta, too.

ConnieMay, I do have Earth Angel and this one isn't that. EA leaves are thicker plus the margin turned creamy by midsummer. This one's margin remains a pretty bright yellow even late in the season.

Thank you, everyone, so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it. Anyone else have any suggestions?

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

A Many Splendored Thing?

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Why not ask the nursery that sent the wrong hosta?

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heyyy, it COULD be A Many Splendored Thing! That was actually on my 2014 wish list but never did order. Thank you, Barb!

Nina, I've been waffling on that. Don't want to bother the breeder, especially since I'm not sure they could ID it, either. But I think you're right....it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks, everyone.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

The leaves on A Many Splendored Thing are very corrugated at maturity, and it is a lovely hosta. Time will tell.

DD

• esox48
    9 years ago

When I first took interest in hostas many years ago, I made a visit to Savory's and strolled through their display garden. It was the first time I'd seen a display garden. The hosta that struck me most was Yellow River. So big, so perfect. Just what a hosta should be.

I don't know what you got, but it's never going to be Yellow River.