Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish_gw

Hosta Flowers 2014

mctavish
9 years ago

I know I'm late to the party regarding flower pictures. It's been a weird year. I did take a lot of pictures of flowers in July and August. Here are some of my favorites. In general I'm not wild about the flowers and my attitude is that the sooner they are at least half way up the stem the sooner I feel justified to cut them off. Some are exceptional though I have to admit. My favorites in general are

Hirao Majesty
Rainbows End
Spritzer
Lakeside Lollipop
Island Charm

The fragrant ones are late (if ever) to bloom here so they don't rank high on my list though some are very pretty. Cathedral Windows still has a very nice bloom on it - Oct 6.

Below are some of the ones I like the best. There are others in the Hosta flowers file on my photostream on Flicker if you are interested.

Comments (16)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, I mean GORGEOUS pictures mctavish! Each one worthy of framing. Thanks for my flower fix of the day!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos McTavish. When you view the last photo, they are so great, that you just have to go back to the top and start all over again!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Very nice work McTavish - you have a great eye! I think your pic of the Leading Lady flower is my favourite because the flowers really do look like ladies skirts with little legs sticking out the bottom...so awesome!

ConnieMay

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Wow,wow,wow! These photos are great! Gives me a new appreciation for hosta flowers. There are quite a few people here that are going to be super envious of that Great Expectations in flower, right Ken? ......could not resist.......

Sherry

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Barb

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing with us. The photos are VERY well done.

Thanks again,

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

And to think we both have the same camera... Beautiful pictures as usual. thanks Myrle and glad you are back to the forum and all the company has finally went home.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos, as always. I like how you got that little spider and the bee in there, too.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Well done!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

It's all in the photogragher! Most hosta flowers aren't worth the trouble,but you make them look amazing! Thanks for the show! Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Beautiful photography, Myrle! Like NHL stated, I too went back several times to admire your pictures. Such a boon at a time when all else outdoors is going to sleep. Thank you for sharing.

This is just the pick-me-up the forum needed to inject some energy into it. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling hosta-separation-anxiety, lol....maybe a tad too dramatic but it is going to be another long winter. I had been away for several weeks and came home to many hostas in various stages of dormancy. I missed the re blooming of a flower scape on Rainbow's End!

Pictures like these are such a treat. Thanks again.

Jo

• mctavish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your wonderful compliments. I got a new camera in the spring so it was fun experimenting with closeups. I love to capture the way the light is and hosta flowers are as good an excuse as any.

I've been taking some fall pictures the last few days. I'll see about doing a thread on fall. As much as I hate to see the end of summer, I do love the colors of fall.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Beautiful hosta blooms. Thank you for sharing them!

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Wonderful, all my hostas are new this year so many did not flower as, I assume, they may be out of sorts from a normal growing season. At least that is my hope in regards to my Frozen Margarita as your shots of that got me very excited for next year.
    I hope to someday have have sharable photos, thank you for yours.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh gee, I have Hirao Majesty on the short list for next year. All of the blooms are gorgeous, although I strained to read that fine low contrast print of the names on the photos.

Now I go visit them on Flickr. Quite a show, McT....well worth waiting to see them.

I have ONE hosta still blooming. Sugarbabe. I think it rebloomed. Amazing longevity to the blooming cycle.. It is fragrant too.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

As always, great photography.