Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

2002 Hosta of the Year Guacamole

hostamanphil
11 years ago

Let's see your pics of Guacamole,a sport of Fragrant Bouquet. This is the only pic I have. It is directly in front of the bird bath. Phil

Comments (12)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I have 5 of these planted along my driveway and they fill the air in July/August with sweet scent.

Steve

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I love Guacamole.

bkay

This is my favorite photo of mine

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Love that pic, bkay! Here's mine, just planted in my new "Hosta Walk' garden this June. She looked this pretty all summer and is just now starting to succumb to the colder temps.

By the way, the FAQ page lists which hostas are "Hosta of the Year" but who is the supreme being that makes that determination, and why do they get to have all the fun?

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    11 years ago

I love this hosta. But each year more and more of it reverts to its all green form. Last year I cut out 6-8 of 14 eyes and this year I have maybe 2 eyes left that hadn't reverted.

Is this typical or do I have a bad egg?

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

One of our shady ones,

hh

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

I didn't get any great pictures of Guacamole this year. I borrowed one from my sisters garden. Her specimen is spectacular. I see that we are going to have to divide the "Fried Green Tomatoes" part out next spring. It lives in a barrel and has grown like a weed in her perfect Pacific Northwest Climate.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

lykanon,

Mine turns all green late in the summer. Right now, you can barely see the color contrast and only one one or two leaves. In the spring, it's back to it's great color.

The Guacamole belonging to McTavish's sister has done what your's has done, so it may not be uncommon. I'm not sure. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

bkay

• bentleygardens
    11 years ago

Another great fragrant variety that does real well in the south, it also gets almost green down here in summer as well

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Hostanista-

Follow the link to get the scoop on the HOTY.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Who selects Hosta of the Year?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Guacamole in its second year for me.

• User
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, well, I love Guacamole as well. It tended to darken up, and the leaf contrast almost disappeared. However, not all ONE SHADE of green. I think it is very different from my Fried Green Tomatoes. Love the light green/gold middles and the darker green eye liner around the margins Beautiful.

• User
    11 years ago

Hostanista, I think it is the Hosta Growers who name the HOTY.

I would be remiss if I did not remind you of the benefits of joining the American Hosta Association. Many on the forum are members, and they know the benefits more than I. This is my first year as a member, having joined around March 2012.

Not too many months back, we voted on the forum for our favorite large/medium/smalls and blues as well as greens. Maybe the voting will continue (once we recover from exhaustion over the political voting) for the other kinds of hosta. Soon? Please?