Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

2009 Hosta of the Year Earth Angel

hostamanphil
11 years ago

I have an earth angel but it is looking more earth-like than angel-like. Let's see your pics of Earth Angel.

Comments (24)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Brand new this summer in the cottage garden, and looking a bit chewed, but filled with potential!
    Jan

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

I can't recall what year this is from,but it still looks basically like this(I don't mean right now,of course),it is October. Phil

{{gwi:960597}}

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Seems like the last three HOTY have all been third hostas in our garden. Here's my Earth Angel, third year hosta:

Gesila

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

I like this one but it's been very slow for me. Probably no surprise since Blue Angel is also not my friend. The first one had 3 leaves last year and I was about to move it this year but it did increase in size so it now has a second chance. Meanwhile, I found the second one somewhere this year and couldn't resist trying it again.

PS is this size too big for anyone?

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Everyone must have one of these. Year 2 still small but growing well.

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I know I say this a lot . . . but Earth Angel is one of my FAVS !!!

After Elegans first enchanted me this June I started scouring this forum for beautiful pics. I stumbled upon a majestic photo of a well established clump of Earth Angel . . . and as per usual with me . . . I was smitten from that point. It was one of the first hostas I bought to start my collection.

This is the first year for my Angel and I can't wait to see her grow into a true divinity.

The pic is from a few weeks ago. You can see the stark yellow strip where she is starting to go to sleep.

My recommendation as a semi-dramtic enthusiast is this is a MUST HAVE, even if a slow grower.

But don't take my word for it . . . let the pictures enchant you like they did me :)

• User
    11 years ago

AArrgghh !!!!!!

Okay, I don't have enough angels around me, so perhaps I can try it. My Elegans is doing fine, and so is my Blue Angel. In fact, Blue Angel is one of three hosta planted, really planted, in the garden, not in a pot. And it has absolutely perfect leaves of a deep sea blue green. Definitely a blue in there, along with the intense darkness of a dark green. I'm not sure I took its picture this week, but will upload it when I do.

Meanwhile, my Wish List 2013 has two names on it now.
    White Triumphator (fragrant), and Earth Angel. Come on springtime! :)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

Here is an Earth Angel that I picked up last year around this time. It was so beautiful and large that I went back and got a second one...I couldn't stop myself.

June 3rd, 2012:

ConnieMay

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Earth Angel is one of my favorites; I bought it three different times last year. In spite of being moved around quite a bit while I was working on the new beds & trying to decide where to site plants, they grew some. Looking forward to seeing what they do in the next couple of years.

Connie, your EA is absolutely beautiful.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Your photos of Earth Angel are impressive. I got two last year and I can tell you they didn't look like much. Got a great deal so I thought what the heck, I'll try. It just took one year to fall in love with this hosta. Here is mine---which in no way compares to yours! My photo was taken October 6th. It is holding up well. It has been growing in shade. I am looking forward to seeing it next year.

• Lee
    11 years ago

Here's my Earth Angel

• User
    11 years ago

Melati, thanks for posting your photo of Earth Angel in bloom. I appreciate hosta with short scapes, because I can get the plant and the flowers in one photo frame! It seems to be generous in its flower production too.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

I don't have a pic of my EA in bloom,moc,but on my plant the flower scapes are very long,so I conclude that hostas definitely grow differntly in different locations! Phil

11 years ago

Moccasinlanding: I agree with Phil regarding the length of the flower scapes. My Earth Angel bloomed with long scapes. I believe this perhaps to be due to the amount of sun received. (As I mentioned my Earth Angel is in shade.) My photo is a bit deceiving (I'm still working on taking good photos), but the flower scape is being held up vertically with a long stick. Whether this hosta produces long or short flower scapes, it is lovely.

11 years ago

Closeup of Earth Angel flower - July 7/12.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Not only that, but your flowers are white rather than the lavender of melati. I think these are two different hosta.

Jon

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Early season leaf-

Paul

11 years ago

Jon: The Hosta Library does say that the flower is "pale lavender" though the Hosta Library shows a photo of the flower that appears white! Now I am totally confused.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Mine blooms near-white,but things look different on the internet,than they do in person. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

Yeah, sometimes the closed blooms have a faint tint to them, which allows them to be called "near white" and it has happened to me with Satisfaction. Then the camera plays tricks as well. So I always take flower color in photos posted online with a grain of salt.

Leaf pattern is what I note the most. Color not so much.

And Newhostalady, thanks for correcting my incorrect assumption. :)

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I find it slow also. This isn't a very good picture but its the best I have right now. I had to move Earth Angel from its original location here because it was doing poorly. Its doing much better now and I hope it eventually fills in this spot. I am removing the astilbe next spring. Earth Angel on the left, Fortunei Aureomarginata (over 4 ft across) back right and Wide Brim front right.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Earth Angel with both long and short scapes:

{{gwi:1097646}}

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Thanks for all those beautiful pictures of H.'Earth Angel'. My two are only young, looking forward to mature ones in several years! Bernd