Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Naylor Creek order arrived!!!

My order from the auction arrived today and, since the other thread was getting kind of big, I thought I would start another one for this order, especially since I have some comparisons that we were talking about on the other thread. Here goes:

Here's a pic of the group together, freshly unpacked from the box:

Comments (22)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Left to right, Monsoon, Riviera Sunset & Sacramento:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Smokey Mountains, Lakeside Cupcake & Teatime

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sherborne Swan & Smoke Signals

Original Author
    10 years ago

Velvet Moon, Snow Boy & Smash Hit

Original Author
    10 years ago

Waukon Water, Paradise Joyce & Ben Vernooij (got a comparison for these last two at the end)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Clear Fork River Valley, Smokey Bear & Touch of Frost

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dream Queen & High Tide

Original Author
    10 years ago

Alvatine Taylor & Alligator Alley

Original Author
    10 years ago

Silver Serenity

Original Author
    10 years ago

Cold Heart & finally, Heat Wave

Original Author
    10 years ago

Most impressed with right out of the box? Velvet Moon, Ben Vernooij, Touch of Frost, Alligator Alley, Dream Queen and Cold Heart.

Here is a comparison of Paradise Joyce & June. Not much difference at all here that I see. Which is which?

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Wow, fun, those look great! I bought a few of the same ones, but you got way more than I did.

I have both 'Paradise Joyce' and 'June'. They look alike for most of the spring, but then the real difference becomes apparent. 'June' tends to green up, while 'Paradise Joyce' gets whiter in the center. I've included a pic of my mature PJ so that you can see what you have to look forward to! This pic was taken about 2 weeks ago.

I favor 'June' in the spring/ early summer and 'Paradise Joyce' in the later summer.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ben Vernooij & Autumn Frost don't look much alike to me, but I may have to wait until next year to truly compare these two, as they have obviously been in different growing conditions this year.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:21

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow, what a haul! You have been busy! What do you think of your grow bags? I use the big ones for my tomatoes, and they do very well.

Since most of the Naylor hostas came with two or three (!!) separate divisions, I potted up some of them separately. This makes them rather less impressive-looking in photos, but I couldn't be happier!

First up is Sleeping Star. This is actually the smaller of three divisions of this beauty. The other two I left together and planted in the ground. I was thrilled to snag this one without even a competing bid...what a deal!

This post was edited by jadie88 on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:08

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Blue Jay

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Cold Heart leaf shot...really happy with the size of this one, and can't wait for Spring!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Her Eyes Were Blue (but her leaves...weren't ;)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jadie - The root pouches, I like, so far, but I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket yet, so to speak, until I know for sure that the hostas will do well (or even better!) in those and will overwinter well in them. I'm just trying a handful in them this year, we shall see. I have found that, at first, the larger ones are a bit top heavy in them, but that changes pretty quickly once watering begins. I had that problem with some of the Land of the Giant hostas b/c, well, they send you giant hostas! Problem solved itself quickly, though.

I really like the look of them, they are really cool. I think they will look great next year all grouped together. I can't wait, I have a plan for all of these new hostas involving a tiered presentation with the pots that should look awesome. Come on, Spring!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Funn and Jadie...you lucky duckies! Congrats!

Sleeping Star is so beautiful! Can't believe you got it without a hiccup! Dying to see it emerge in the spring.

Cold Heart is gorgeous. Silver Serenity has me googling for more pics!

FF...your Paradise Joyce is calling to me!

Wow, what a year it's going to be next year....so many new hosta pics to anticipate...hope winter flies by quickly...enjoy your new babies, All!

• plantbug
    10 years ago

Great selection!! plantbug

This post was edited by plantbug on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 8:38

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Funn, nice!! You just made me add Cold Heart to my want list, and Sacramento as well. I've just checked 4 good suppliers in Ontario, and not one of them have Sacramento. It's not even in the Hosta Library!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You have matched the climate of Naylor Creek with your own zone. Their plants are green, yours probably too. I just got plants from a local mail order nursery here in zone 5, Glenbrook Farm, and those 4 nice plants were also matched in appearance to my garden, that is showing the effects of cool nights. Bernd

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner