Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Keyhole Gardens

I have to give Bev Stegman credit for finding this. It looks like a great idea for those of you in warmer climates to be able to plant "in the ground". Sort of like a really large container.

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/keyhole-gardens.html

Keyhole Gardens

The pictured one is from Texas. Note the frame for shade cloth.

Steve

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

My word, Steve, that is an inspired contraption there. It sort of reminds me of the African huts which have straw uppers, or maybe my umbrellas. :)

And, the invention called "Gabion Cages" which are wire cages into which they pack rocks (read that as rip rap) to create sea walls or bulkheading along waterfronts. My friend on the river has some along her bulkhead. This keeps the rocks in place. Also, such cages can make columns or heat sink walls for buildings and they are very ornamental.

I also notice in the upper left of the picture some other metal framed circular containers similar to cattle troughs used on farms. These have soil in them too, and I have seen them in use before.

Thank you for catching that one. I'll definitely explore it for myself and for my DH's veggie garden. Just think....the tomatos and squash can climb right up the frame around hosta in the middle! That pie wedge cutout is a nice touch....you can stand in the shade beneath the shadecloth to harvest or water or till. Many great features.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I really like that idea for a raised garden too. Composting in the middle and a sunshade. An old mesh satelite dish would work for a roof shade. Saw one at our neighbor's today . Something to think about for my vegetable garden.No bending sounds wonderful these days. At the bottom of the same site is one other site called"moongate" that would also inspire another great idea for a garden and is like going into another world or the next step of a yard. OMG and it is not even spring but the dreaming begins.
    Thanks Steve for posting this site

Faye

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Never heard of that before. That's an ingenious way to garden in those hot climates! Always learning something new on this Forum. Thanks for posting Steve. That was truly inspiring!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Hmmmmmm, not enough room to grow very many hostas.... a wishing well?

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Pacman?

• User
    10 years ago

if you look @ the website, you see rebar can make the dome which allows a larger diameter and a lower rock barrier. Tall enough to walk around inside or beneath and have multiple hosta in broken shade. I see smaller plants here which are more vulnerable to extremes of climate. A lower structure means less investment of time materials etc.