Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Colors of autumn

mosswitch
11 years ago

This is an Elifino (hell if I know) that I have never for sure identified. Gorgeous in summer, but oh, my! the color change in the fall! I love it!

Sandy

Comments (11)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Where did you get this plant from? It looks rather strange to me.

Steve

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had this plant for some 15 yrs, Steve. Don't know where I got it, any more.

Here's a summer picture.

• User
    11 years ago

Sandy, that plant is a shape-shifter, it goes through many patterns and colors, and I've seen nothing like it.....in pictures at least, since I don't get to visit any hosta gardens.

How can you tell if it is sporting or just growing normally?
    What a show it puts on!

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Captain Kirk is showing somewhat that same kind of color change. Wonder if is in response to the heat and drought? Stunning, tho!

Sandy

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Love the name and love the plant.. elifino is perfect!

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

That's a really different variegation pattern that I haven't seen before. I wonder if it's a sport of something or if it has sported into something different. Has it remained stable for the 15 years that you've had it?

Steve

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's always looked like this, Steve. Holds up well in summer, looks like this in fall. One of my prettiest hostas but darned if I know what it is. If it's a sport of something, it happened before I got it.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Maybe Paradise Joyce? Take a look at the library pics on that and see what you think.

Steve

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kinda looks like it, but not, I think. Not old enough, has to have been before 2001; flowers in mid summer, earlier than PJ. This one had to be a plant that was at the nursery where I worked in the 80's, I think, if I had to guess where it came from. There were never any Paradise hostas.

I had thought it might be Paul's Glory for a while but I no longer think so. I have 3 of those and it really looks nothing like them.

Sandy

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Sandy, if I see H. 'Elifino' at my local garden center next spring I am going to buy it. That is one Elofafine looking hosta.

Les

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I just went back and relooked at your pic and then a pic of my PG. Mine had a section of the crown that threw up pets with leaves heavily variegated like that. My plan is that if it does it again in spring to seperate a piece and see if it holds up.

I would be absolutely thrilled to check the AHS register next year and find H. 'Elifino', from SW MO. registered. There are so many look-alikes but yours would no be one of them Sandy.

Les