Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2006 Hosta of the Year Stained Glass

Posted by hostamanphil 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 17:38

I love Stained Glass. It gets better every year. It sure took a beating this year from the extreme heat and drought though. It will be interesting to see how it looks next year. Phil

Stained Glass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2006 Hosta of the Year Stained Glass

This pic was back in May. I moved it a little over a week ago in order to put it in more sun.

Stained Glass yr2

Steve

o

Here's mine in June - first year in my garden. Something thought it was pretty tasty later in the season; along with 'Guacamole' it seemed to be lunch of choice.
Jan

H.'Stained Glass'

o

from back in May, so not yet finished unfurling:
stained glass2012-05-28_13-29-20_845 Pictures, Images and Photos

We find 'Cathedral Windows' to be a MUCH better plant.

hh

o

Phil; your Stained Glass looks very nice. How long have you had it? Mine is just finishing its 2nd season in my garden. It is pretty small, but in fact more than doubled in size from year 1, so I am looking forward to year 3 and see what happens.

I don't have a good pic because of camera problems. Now that is resolved all of my hostas are bright yellow GOING; GOING; just before "GONE"!

Les

o

Agree with hostahillbilly. Cathedral Windows is a whole lot better than Stained Glass. (Both are immature plants.) CW leaves have a lot more substance and, in my garden, is more critter resistant. Every varmint passing thru seemed to want to take a bite out of SG while CW stayed untouched.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 16:43

This is my first full summer with Stained Glass. After this harsh summer and tree root competition, I dug Stained Glass and put it in a pot. It responded favorably to the move. Here is her pic, taken yesterday, beginning to look a little rough with the chilly Fall nights lately.

Photobucket

And the 2 babies I found under her :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Deb

o

Here is mine just after being moved from full sun. You can see where the sun was starting to burn through her leaves. She is also a second year liner. A keeper and if you do not have one I recommend it as Stained Glass is still doing great here. Paula

o

Aye, Paula, she is a pleasure to grow. The #1 Stained Glass came to me last fall and never went dormant. I thought for sure it was a goner, but after #2 Stained Glass arrived, #1 went back to nothing, and then came out full strength, getting bigger than the new #2 before she stopped. I was amazed. Have no idea if something like that will happen again to any of my hosta, but we'll soon see.

Here is the Stained Glass #1 and #2, with #1 making a strong comeback and sporting a lavender blooming scape. Gotta love a plant that strong.
Hosta12July346

o

Stained Glass:
Photobucket

o

I love Stained Glass which I've had since 2005. I have high hopes for Cathedral Windows which is fairly new.

Stained Glass in the garden

o

I got this guy from my local garden center back in July.

7 15 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass 001

7 15 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass 002

Here it is in October still going strong. It darkened up a bit to chartreuse under my sycamore and black walnut canopy but still an eye catcher none the less.

As I always say . . . one of my favorites :)

Ludi

10 12 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass

10 20 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass 001

10 20 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass 002

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here