Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

2006 Hosta of the Year Stained Glass

hostamanphil
11 years ago

I love Stained Glass. It gets better every year. It sure took a beating this year from the extreme heat and drought though. It will be interesting to see how it looks next year. Phil

Comments (11)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

This pic was back in May. I moved it a little over a week ago in order to put it in more sun.

Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Here's mine in June - first year in my garden. Something thought it was pretty tasty later in the season; along with 'Guacamole' it seemed to be lunch of choice.
    Jan

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

from back in May, so not yet finished unfurling:

We find 'Cathedral Windows' to be a MUCH better plant.

hh

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Phil; your Stained Glass looks very nice. How long have you had it? Mine is just finishing its 2nd season in my garden. It is pretty small, but in fact more than doubled in size from year 1, so I am looking forward to year 3 and see what happens.

I don't have a good pic because of camera problems. Now that is resolved all of my hostas are bright yellow GOING; GOING; just before "GONE"!

Les

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Agree with hostahillbilly. Cathedral Windows is a whole lot better than Stained Glass. (Both are immature plants.) CW leaves have a lot more substance and, in my garden, is more critter resistant. Every varmint passing thru seemed to want to take a bite out of SG while CW stayed untouched.

• dg
    11 years ago

This is my first full summer with Stained Glass. After this harsh summer and tree root competition, I dug Stained Glass and put it in a pot. It responded favorably to the move. Here is her pic, taken yesterday, beginning to look a little rough with the chilly Fall nights lately.

{{gwi:1098384}}

And the 2 babies I found under her :-)

{{gwi:1098385}}

{{gwi:1098386}}

Deb

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Here is mine just after being moved from full sun. You can see where the sun was starting to burn through her leaves. She is also a second year liner. A keeper and if you do not have one I recommend it as Stained Glass is still doing great here. Paula

• User
    11 years ago

Aye, Paula, she is a pleasure to grow. The #1 Stained Glass came to me last fall and never went dormant. I thought for sure it was a goner, but after #2 Stained Glass arrived, #1 went back to nothing, and then came out full strength, getting bigger than the new #2 before she stopped. I was amazed. Have no idea if something like that will happen again to any of my hosta, but we'll soon see.

Here is the Stained Glass #1 and #2, with #1 making a strong comeback and sporting a lavender blooming scape. Gotta love a plant that strong.

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Stained Glass:

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

I love Stained Glass which I've had since 2005. I have high hopes for Cathedral Windows which is fairly new.

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I got this guy from my local garden center back in July.

Here it is in October still going strong. It darkened up a bit to chartreuse under my sycamore and black walnut canopy but still an eye catcher none the less.

As I always say . . . one of my favorites :)

Ludi