Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Last shot for Frances Williams

bkay2000
10 years ago

Frances has never done well at my house. She took a real beating this spring with our up and down weather. She gets spring desiccation here, big time. I intend to give her special attention this spring.

The cause mentioned most often for the brown spots is too much sun. I have that problem in the early spring, as my shade is from Pecan trees and they leaf out late. So, I have somewhere between four and six weeks (in April) where the hosta get no shade.

If I shade her, is it possible to avoid to brown spots? If not, she needs a new home.

(OBL had desiccation this year, too. I'm hoping it's a one time thing.)

bk

bk

Comments (5)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

When FW lived in my shaded atrium for a few years, completely out of direct sunlight, she still got that Spring desiccation on almost every leaf, every year. Back then the consensus was cool temps/cool winds on those freshly leafed-out edges.

After Olive Bailey Langdon moved in (2006), FW left the building. OBL has been with me since 2006 and gets early morning sun, and only once or twice have I noticed any slight browning on any of her leaves in Spring.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi BK...I just took a pic of FW along with others today. She doesn't look terrific due to the cursed necrosis, but her leaves are huge, lots still blue and I just love her...we go back many years as I've taken her along when I moved.

I experimented with her this year...in mostly shade she did not get her edges melted out, but you are in a much hotter zone. Since you are allowing her a last chance, could you adopt Mocc's umbrella solution perhaps to provide shade during April? And ramp up the water significantly? I think air circulation is also key when it's scorching outside...our humidity was so high that it took 2days only for the desiccation to hit.

I have mine in a poor location ( under deck, close to brick wall which retains heat in summer...ugh) but she will have a better growing site next spring.
    Regardless of this negative growing locale, she is doing better than she should.

OBL is not supposed to have that problem but I don't think it can be helped when temperatures soar to 100 or more. Mine is new this year.

Again, my F W won't win any awards for esthetics, but if you can ignore the blemishes and see beyond them........you have been a trooper about your FW, no one can blame you if she gets the thumbs down...it's up to you. Fingers crossed for better luck next year. :-).

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Josephones- I was referring to the Spring desiccation happens shortly after she leafs out, before the hot weather hits. When it gets corking hot, everything needs lots of water.

Your FW has retained its blue color very well.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi babka...isn't it interesting how things go when posts cross cyberspace? It took me awhile to compose my message as I had interruptions throughout so I wasn't aware of your message until after I had posted. .....I like your expression "corking hot" ...just how hot is it in Spring in NorCal, seriously?

I cannot imagine being able to garden as long as you, BKay and Mocc do, as much as you likely can't imagine my short growing season. I guess I just can't relate. lol

Sometime, maybe during Alphabet, do you think it's possible to see a pic of your OBL? I just have a young one...never viewed a pic of a 7-yr old and would love to see what I have to look forward to. Sounds like she's growing well for you.

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yup, Babka, you said it (windburn). I have a 'Frances Williams' that got some windburn in the spring. Not too badly but...Yes indeed it can/does happen.

Don B.